Starlink speeds | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Starlink speeds

Yes - signed up Feb 2021 as soon as it was available in my area and was put on waiting list for a year. Order went through Feb 2022 and we've had uninterrupted service since then.
Thanks, we figured ordering direct is the best course of action. Really appreciate all the information!

For LEO satellite services like Starlink it will depend on how many people are using it in your area, today the number of users is pretty low but growing. Like the Internet itself it is shared.... As the customer base grows they need to launch more birds to keep reasonable capacity to get desired speeds. The experience in the early days may or may not be the future experience. As long as you get a reasonable ROI on the initial install costs/gear you can always switch in the future to the next big/best thing if suckage starts.

The CRTC defines broadband as 50X10 minimum. If everything available (in the area) is less, odds are someone is seeking gov funding to build out new tech in the area.

The CRTC defines broadband as 50X10 minimum. If everything available (in the area) is less, odds are someone is seeking gov funding to build out new tech in the area.
On that front, my modem thinks 50 Mbps is feasible but no provider offered over 30. FTTH was installed (government money dumpster fire) and you can only buy access through Bell (which is BS, either government money was used and access should be through multiple providers or entirely private money should be used for sole source).

In the ftth proposal, they said that 50 Mbps was going to be provided. I was shocked by that. Luckily, that was just a place holder and available speeds are far higher. I don't have it yet as I will stick with Teksavvy as long as they are independent. I hate bell and don't want to give them any money.

To be fair don't want to give any business my money, so I have no preference.
But I require Internet so I'll have to pay someone. What I want is the best value for my money, so far that seems to be Starlink.

Is there any limit on how many devices/households can share one StarLink connection.
Other than bandwidth of course. In our marina, 3 boats (side-by-each).. could we share one subscription, one router?

Is there any limit on how many devices/households can share one StarLink connection.
Other than bandwidth of course. In our marina, 3 boats (side-by-each).. could we share one subscription, one router?
That should work fine. Afaik, SL has no device limit. Even if it did, many homes would have far more devices connected than three boats. Wifi and bandwidth will be a bigger issue than SL. Now, letter of the user agreement probably prevents that but if you give people your wifi password, they have access..

For LEO satellite services like Starlink it will depend on how many people are using it in your area, today the number of users is pretty low but growing. Like the Internet itself it is shared.... As the customer base grows they need to launch more birds to keep reasonable capacity to get desired speeds. The experience in the early days may or may not be the future experience.

Ain't that the truth... here's a shot of a speed test I ran back in May 2022 after opening the cottage:

rrFSbmK.png

Upload speeds have particularly dropped since I first subscribed.

I’m currently in Victoria, BC about to head home.Just finished doing Route 66 and the Pacific Coast Highway in a small motor home. We had perfect reception on our Starlink the whole way and we were in some pretty remote places in New Mexico and Arizona. The only time we had a problem was at a campsite that was in a dense forest Oregon , 100’ pine trees that you could barely see sunlight through.

Attachments

• E8DC16FA-D132-4814-AC41-75E68D3CEFBE.jpeg
    E8DC16FA-D132-4814-AC41-75E68D3CEFBE.jpeg
    985.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Had the opportunity to talk to the owner of the property m buying as they want to show us some things around the property. During our time I asked them about xplorenet.
They have been using the 50 Mbps service for 3 years without a single issue. I was kind of surprised by this after hearing from you guys and reviews online.

That is the first person I have ever heard of happy with explr. It was terrible for everyone I know who had it. Are they on satellite or lte, the satellite may be better speed but very laggy and limited usage.

Sent from the future

That is the first person I have ever heard of happy with explr. It was terrible for everyone I know who had it. Are they on satellite or lte, the satellite may be better speed but very laggy and limited usage.

Sent from the future
From my limited understanding there are two ways to get xplorenet. Satilite or tower based, the tower is the faster and more reliable option, the property is in. Close proximity to a tower. Of course if I were to get this service I'm sure it would be a very different experience...lol

Last edited:
You're probably looking at using the Explornet either way with the lead-in to getting Starlink up and running. Order the Starlink and use Explornet. If it serves your needs, you can always cancel the Starlink.

You're probably looking at using the Explornet either way with the lead-in to getting Starlink up and running. Order the Starlink and use Explornet. If it serves your needs, you can always cancel the Starlink.
Starlink has another sale going on, we're tempted.
We already have Bell as a ISP. Only 25mbps but with our Bell package it almost costs nothing. But we know we'll need a 2nd ISP and while xplorenet would be the cheapest and most convenient, the many terrible reviews have us concerned. It's difficult to make these decisions before you even at the new place.

Had the opportunity to talk to the owner of the property m buying as they want to show us some things around the property. During our time I asked them about xplorenet. They have been using the 50 Mbps service for 3 years without a single issue. I was kind of surprised by this after hearing from you guys and reviews online.

I had Bell DSL in the past at the cottage. Slow. Bell never fails to meet expectations. I expect them to perform miserably and they always do. At least they get top marks for consistency. In general, I hate Bell with a passion.

Xplorenet is now Xplore........... I've had them at cottage since Sept. 2017, just over 6 years. Satellite. I pay $130 + HST for 25 mbps / 200 GB / Month and speedtest tells me it runs at 25 to 30 almost all of the time. It occasionally goes down in very heavy rain storms. I had to clean snow off the dish once last winter, first time that happened.

The ping or latency is very slow, about 650 - 700 ms vs. the 7 or 8 ms I get at home on Rogers high speed. Nothing unexpected about this as this speed in common with satellite internet.

Xplore is ranting and raving about a new satellite that is coming on line shortly that will offer much higher speeds, I've no other info on this.

Standard VOIP phones do not work properly on Satellite internet due to ping times. Does anyone use a VOIP phone with StarLink? Does it work properly?

I had Bell DSL in the past at the cottage. Slow. Bell never fails to meet expectations. I expect them to perform miserably and they always do. At least they get top marks for consistency. In general, I hate Bell with a passion.

Xplorenet is now Xplore........... I've had them at cottage since Sept. 2017, just over 6 years. Satellite. I pay $130 + HST for 25 mbps / 200 GB / Month and speedtest tells me it runs at 25 to 30 almost all of the time. It occasionally goes down in very heavy rain storms. I had to clean snow off the dish once last winter, first time that happened.

The ping or latency is very slow, about 650 - 700 ms vs. the 7 or 8 ms I get at home on Rogers high speed. Nothing unexpected about this as this speed in common with satellite internet.

Xplore is ranting and raving about a new satellite that is coming on line shortly that will offer much higher speeds, I've no other info on this.

Standard VOIP phones do not work properly on Satellite internet due to ping times. Does anyone use a VOIP phone with StarLink? Does it work properly?
VoIP is fine on starlink ping usually under 50ms

Sent from the future

VoIP is fine on starlink ping usually under 50ms

Sent from the future
MIL wants regular phone (calls Greece) and regular tv. She is 80 and is paying for it, so no problem for us, we added internet as it raised the price 1 dollar a month, no DSL for us so I assume satilite or tower based. We have little faith that it is any good, but can't beat the price. We'll consider our options once we see how bad Bell actually is.

MIL wants regular phone (calls Greece) and regular tv. She is 80 and is paying for it, so no problem for us, we added internet as it raised the price 1 dollar a month, no DSL for us so I assume satilite or tower based. We have little faith that it is any good, but can't beat the price. We'll consider our options once we see how bad Bell actually is.
The TV will come from the cell tower in that case as well as the phone if you don't tell her she will never know.

Sent from the future

The TV will come from the cell tower in that case as well as the phone if you don't tell her she will never know.

Sent from the future
Bell express vu for tv and copper line for phone. She knows what she wanted, we were happy to ensure she got it, even took her to Bell. If she's happy, we're happy. She has never used the Internet so we'll deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom