Speed cameras | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed cameras

I don’t know what the TO threshold is, but in my neighborhood in Mississauga we routinely have people blasting by at about 80 - 90 mph in a 50. My street is not a through fare, so I see the same people doing this every day. I’m reasonably confidant they drive like this everywhere.

There is no way the police have the resources to address this so, with a reasonable threshold, I’m perfectly OK using speed cameras to ticket these people and slow them down. Star reported that in first month 1 person got 12 tickets, I assume they speed by every day and by the time they got the first ticket they had racked up numerous infractions. That’s just TFB, but now they know. Will they slow down? You’d have to be an idiot not to.

I got tagged in Calgary last year in a rented car doing 20 over. With Alamo surcharge it was $180!!! Was I happy? No, but now I know and this explained why people seemed to be driving so slow. I’m sure there were signs, but I must have missed them, my bad. Next time I’m in Calgary will I drive the limit to avoid another $180 charge? Probably, and that’s the whole point of speed cameras.

Don't know about Toronto, but in Hamilton it's 1 (ONE!) km/hr over the speed limit.

Thats a little insane, considering most vehicle manufacturers have a 5-7% margin of error on their speedometers. I dare say those tickets wouldnt hold up in court.

How Do I get waze to work? I went flying by a radar trap and there was nary a peep out of my phone.

Did the cop show up on the map? Maybe it wasnt reported yet. You report it to help the next guy.
I couldn't tell, I would have had to look at my phone for that. I was hoping for an audible signal.

I couldn't tell, I would have had to look at my phone for that. I was hoping for an audible signal.
Normally you can do audio off/alerts only/all audio on. It should say "police reported ahead" if the map is marked and audio or alerts are on.

Waze only works if someone reported it. There is always someone who is going to be the first on scene or first to report.

" Thats a little insane, considering most vehicle manufacturers have a 5-7% margin of error on their speedometers. I dare say those tickets wouldnt hold up in court."
I agree but how do you fight a ticket that was never issued to you since it was for your vehicle? There is a known margin of error on all vehicles and on my cars, the speedo numbers are super close to hold them all.
I agree with the slowing down posts but this is a pure cash grab since all communities are changing normal areas to "community safety zones" so that they can add the cameras to meet provincial laws. There are no schools in some of these zones.

Well, a city could in theory, simply declare the entire city a "Community Safety Zone." Looking at a map there would be an overlap almost everywhere, if you consider all schools, parks, senior residences, etc etc etc....lol

People are going to have to put the brakes on this by complaining to their politicians. It's going to get out of hand. They'll have speed cameras everywhere soon. People will have to buy radar detectors and radar jammers.

People are going to have to put the brakes on this by complaining to their politicians. It's going to get out of hand. They'll have speed cameras everywhere soon. People will have to buy radar detectors and radar jammers.

Both very illegal, you may end up seeing the same as what happens in the UK where people go and spray paint the camera lenses.

Waze only works if someone reported it. There is always someone who is going to be the first on scene or first to report.

" Thats a little insane, considering most vehicle manufacturers have a 5-7% margin of error on their speedometers. I dare say those tickets wouldnt hold up in court."
I agree but how do you fight a ticket that was never issued to you since it was for your vehicle? There is a known margin of error on all vehicles and on my cars, the speedo numbers are super close to hold them all.
I agree with the slowing down posts but this is a pure cash grab since all communities are changing normal areas to "community safety zones" so that they can add the cameras to meet provincial laws. There are no schools in some of these zones.

As all vehicles have a margin of error on their speedo it wont matter who was driving, as it is the vehicle itself and manufacturer and govt policy that allow for the margin of error. Also anyone with wheels/tyre profiles that arent stock will not be able to claim this in court.

Both very illegal, you may end up seeing the same as what happens in the UK where people go and spray paint the camera lenses.

Like all things, people will get to a point where they just don't care. Look how many people are driving with no insurance and no license. People will do what they must to survive. If that means running radar detectors (there are lots that are undetectable) that's just what they're going to do.

Thats a little insane, considering most vehicle manufacturers have a 5-7% margin of error on their speedometers. I dare say those tickets wouldnt hold up in court.
Are you sure about that margin of error? The way I understand it is some euro countries do not allow the speedo to ever indicate low. That leads to speedos that are often ~5% faster than actual speed so with manufacturing tolerance, they never end up on the wrong side of the line. My last car read about 5% high, current car is bang on, wifes car is bang on. I have never been in a vehicle where I noticed the actual speed was above the indicated speed (unless they had messed with tire size).

Court doesn't care what your speedometer reads it is your responsibility to make sure it is right. There have been court cases author in the past you are still speeding no matter what it says on your dash.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Court doesn't care what your speedometer reads it is your responsibility to make sure it is right. There have been court cases author in the past you are still speeding no matter what it says on your dash.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
Yeah, it becomes one of those situations in court where you argue that you didnt know you were speeding because you car has issues and you set yourself for a mandatory vehicle inspection and they wont be lenient.

I dont know how many pictures the cameras take. If you drive directly beside someone and it takes a picture, you can argue that they were travelling faster than you and you werent speeding. Distance to target is the same so that cant be used to differentiate. If it takes a series of pictures, this defense wont work.

GI-Joe.jpeg
..now I know and this explained why people seemed to be driving so slow. I’m sure there were signs, but I must have missed them, my bad. Next time I’m in Calgary will I drive the limit to avoid another $180 charge? Probably, and that’s the whole point of speed cameras.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that margin of error? The way I understand it is some euro countries do not allow the speedo to ever indicate low. That leads to speedos that are often ~5% faster than actual speed so with manufacturing tolerance, they never end up on the wrong side of the line. My last car read about 5% high, current car is bang on, wifes car is bang on. I have never been in a vehicle where I noticed the actual speed was above the indicated speed (unless they had messed with tire size).

It is like that for North American motor vehicle standards as well, the standards are written differently but it amounts to the same: throughout the entire plausible range of speed limits, the speedometer cannot read lower than the actual speed. It means - with stock tire sizes as prescribed on the label! - they ALL read higher than the actual speed, the only question is by how much.

Kawasaki digital speedometers read 7% high. I have a Speedohealer on one of them, which I have adjusted for this, so that one is actually quite accurate, but the other one uses the new-generation electronics based on the wheel speed sensors and the signals are all buried in canbus network communication, so there is no simple "vehicle speed sensor" signal for a Speedohealer to tamper with.
My car (digital speedo) reads about 4% high based on those "your speed" signs. But, it displays "0" until the speed reaches 4 km/h. It won't display anything less than that (shows "0"). So, there is a small range in which it actually does read lower than the actual speed ... but it's in a speed range that is not in the range where it is required to display high.
My van is accurate, no more than 1% off. Designed to be a commercial vehicle, so perhaps that's not surprising. Can't have the vehicle responsible for a ticket, but almost as importantly, can't have the vehicle responsible for a late delivery.
My olde Yamaha FZR400 with an old school mechanical cable-driven speedometer is quite accurate, within a percent or two.
My Honda CBR125 (new generation, digital speedo) is the worst offender ... 10% high. I think this is at or close to the upper limit on how much too high it is allowed to display. Non-stock front tire size probably accounts for about 1% of that.

Just FYI in my recent travels around Peel Region, "community safety zone" signs are proliferating, including some places that make zero sense. It will soon be at the point where the original intent of "community safety zone" is lost.

Just FYI in my recent travels around Peel Region, "community safety zone" signs are proliferating, including some places that make zero sense. It will soon be at the point where the original intent of "community safety zone" is lost.
I'm actually shocked that no Municipality has gone whole hog and designated their entire land mass as a community saftey zone (yet).

Back
Top Bottom