Speed cameras | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed cameras

Govt is making bank with those things. Expect there to be more and more each year as they try and make up for budget deficits.

I don't agree that the car owner gets the ticket, not the driver.

Also, the ticket gets mailed what, 4 to 6 weeks after the alleged offense was committed? Hardly a deterrent as it just becomes another bill to pay in the eyes of the receiver.

Proper policing where the offender gets pulled over, has all their plates, registration, insurance confirmed, along with other items that could be noted like open alcohol, drugs, guns, dangerous vehicle, etc. THAT is far more effective.

Clearly an easy cash grab.

Or... or just a maybe, people might slow the F... down.
Nope, wont happen, until the govt starts removing demerit points from the owner of the vehicle.

P.S.

that map is an "automated enforcement" map , including red light cams.

Or... or just a maybe, people might slow the F... down.

This.
If the government spends a whole lot of money setting these things up and then makes no money on them, they’ll disappear pretty quick.

There's one just around the corner from my house on Highway 2. Sitting out around the pool in the evening and listening to the boy racers flying through the area (seriously, 100kph+ is common in what is a 50/60 zone) I can't wait until they start paying the price. The thing is going to be taking so many photos is going to look like a bloody strobe light.

And I have no problems with this at all. Speeding is out of control. Spare me the "cash cow!" BS and all that as well.....don't want a ticket? Slow the F down. No ticket. Simple.

One consequence of slowing traffic is increasing congestion. This can’t be good inside the slow moving parts of the GTA.

Seen the one near me flash once. It's in the stupidest location for keeping students safe. Definitely the cash cow B.S. Area is a 40, but is a main drag and should be a 60 or 70. Students are in high school, crossing guard at one corner of the school with stop signs, and a traffic light at the other. There's actually been jaywalking and cycling accidents at the other high school, which is in a 60 zone, and doesn't have a crossing at one corner. I could see if they'd put it there. There are also several junior schools with no sidewalks, and no photo radar in the vicinity. They would also be a good choice for the sole location. I'm thinking that the main reason they put it where it is, is that the road is very uneven, up and down, up and down, so it is very difficult to keep a constant speed, whereas the other locations are very flat or have a steady gradient.

I haven't heard what the threshold is to issue a ticket. Has that been revealed? I'd be pretty ****** if I got one of those automated tax bills for 43 kph in a 40 zone. That location on Renforth is a prime fishing hole for tickets and has been since I lived in Etobicoke over 40 years ago.

One consequence of slowing traffic is increasing congestion. This can’t be good inside the slow moving parts of the GTA.
How is more speed and racing to the next red light going to fix congestion?

I have seen the city reduce speed limits in my area and other parts of the city, and people still are way over the limit, and going nowhere. There is a new thing they are trying with large patches of red paint. I'm sure people will just get use to it and be racing again.

They would also be a good choice for the sole location. I'm thinking that the main reason they put it where it is, is that the road is very uneven, up and down, up and down, so it is very difficult to keep a constant speed, whereas the other locations are very flat or have a steady gradient.
?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ IF you can't keep your vehicle at a constant speed, maybe you shouldn't be driving. It's NOT that difficult.

Yeah! I'd like to know too.
I haven't seen that divulged anywhere. Because, you know, safety. eyeroll. I suspect the real reason it isn't divulged is they are trying to hit a certain percentage of drivers so the threshold may be different for every location. If 95% of the drivers on renforth got issued a ticket, is the problem the drivers or the speed limit?

How is more speed and racing to the next red light going to fix congestion?

I have seen the city reduce speed limits in my area and other parts of the city, and people still are way over the limit, and going nowhere. There is a new thing they are trying with large patches of red paint. I'm sure people will just get use to it and be racing again.
I guess that depends on the thresholds. Traffic typically buzzez along a few KMH above the posted limit. As speed increases, so does flow.

If the cams effectively drop speed to the exact speed limits, congestion will definitely increase.

I'm all for automated traffic safety measures, police don't have the reach to quell speeding, stop or redlight controls, nor are they a cost effective solution for managing basic road safety.

I'm hopeful there is a 10km threshold on 60kmh roads, less concerned about side streets (40/50km zones). I'm all for 100% compliance at reds and stops.

?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️ IF you can't keep your vehicle at a constant speed, maybe you shouldn't be driving. It's NOT that difficult.
I'd take you there and have you try, but then I'd have to kill you. I found if I go in below 35 I will peak at 40 near the trap. Then start slowing again. Otherwise, I need to be on the brakes and the gas. Problem is to maintain a constant 40, you'd need to be checking the speedometer constantly, instead of watching for stupid kids.

Anyone remember the old radar traps under the bridge, just after the bottom of a hill?

...Anyone remember the old radar traps under the bridge, just after the bottom of a hill?
I remember them from yesterday.

YRP regularly sit on HWY 7 between 2 and 5AM in a wide open area that drops from 70 to 50 in front of a school. They hand out tickets starting at 9 over. They also hang out on wide open downhill section of Markham Rd, just north of the 407 -- nothing but a bridge, no apparent reason the speed drops to 50.

There was always a trap on the Bayview extension between the DVP interchange and River St. Posted limit was 70, then it got dropped to 50 for no apparent reason other than money grab. Big fuss, now its back up to 60.

Back
Top Bottom