Speed cameras | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed cameras

I'm particularly amused at the "municipal speed camera coming soon" sign on Brisdale north of Bovaird. There's a huge Fortinos there in a big plaza with a whole bunch of other stores. Across the street from that are residential houses. It's normally so jammed up on that street that you can barely move.

I'm particularly amused at the "municipal speed camera coming soon" sign on Brisdale north of Bovaird. There's a huge Fortinos there in a big plaza with a whole bunch of other stores. Across the street from that are residential houses. It's normally so jammed up on that street that you can barely move.
Probably annoyed with ricers/bikes at 02:00. Community safety my ass.

Found another dumb one that went up in the last couple of days. Rural road approx 2 km long, 50 km/h speed limit (which has been the case for years), now marked as a "community safety zone". It has a grand total of 6 private driveways to rural houses set well back from the road, and 2 dead-end laneways that each access a small number of rural properties (one 2, one 6). Not much traffic uses this road (although I will grant that no one even remotely follows the posted speed limit). WHY???

Only thing I can figure is that someone rich who lives on that road is well-connected with town council.

Found another dumb one that went up in the last couple of days. Rural road approx 2 km long, 50 km/h speed limit (which has been the case for years), now marked as a "community safety zone". It has a grand total of 6 private driveways to rural houses set well back from the road, and 2 dead-end laneways that each access a small number of rural properties (one 2, one 6). Not much traffic uses this road (although I will grant that no one even remotely follows the posted speed limit). WHY???

Only thing I can figure is that someone rich who lives on that road is well-connected with town council.
Haha, that will be the case of be careful what you ask for. After the people that live on the road get 80% of the tickets, they will cry to have the camera moved. Apparently people near me cried for speed humps years ago and immediately upon installation started complaining about how brutal they were and requesting their removal. They were supposed to be a pilot project for the summer and they lasted only a few weeks.

Haha, that will be the case of be careful what you ask for. After the people that live on the road get 80% of the tickets, they will cry to have the camera moved. Apparently people near me cried for speed humps years ago and immediately upon installation started complaining about how brutal they were and requesting their removal. They were supposed to be a pilot project for the summer and they lasted only a few weeks.
I see the same type of silliness here in the Kawarthas. Speed limits changed from 80 km/h to 60 km/h for long stretches of road around a small cluster of 5 or 6 houses.

The 507 people raising hell are going to shoot themselves in the foot when local councils change speed limits there as well as a "solution" to weekend motorcyling speeding everyone is ranting and raving about. Riders will just move elsewhere and everyone will be stuck crawling along at a snails pace.

I see the same type of silliness here in the Kawarthas. Speed limits changed from 80 km/h to 60 km/h for long stretches of road around a small cluster of 5 or 6 houses.

The 507 people raising hell are going to shoot themselves in the foot when local councils change speed limits there as well as a "solution" to weekend motorcyling speeding everyone is ranting and raving about. Riders will just move elsewhere and everyone will be stuck crawling along at a snails pace.
I strongly suspect the problem riders at 150+ wont care if the speed limit is 30 or 80 km/h. There will be less bikes because the 80 to km/h riders will go somewhere else bit I dont think there will be a lot less problems. 507 with a low speed limit would be a long haul for the locals that have to take it daily.

I was in AUSTRALIA for 2 months last winter. There are speed cameras everywhere, I mean everywhere. In towns, cities and on the highways, everywhere. The result seems to be that everybody does the speed limit, unless they are super confident that there are no cameras present, then they will speed. Also the fines are very costly, obviously a revenue generator, but the people seem to have reluctantly accepted them. We will probably follow suit, maybe.

Bottom of the Bayview extension where the new bicycle lanes have been put in is a 40 KMH zone now. Watch out for the cherry pickers.

I strongly suspect the problem riders at 150+ wont care if the speed limit is 30 or 80 km/h. There will be less bikes because the 80 to km/h riders will go somewhere else bit I dont think there will be a lot less problems. 507 with a low speed limit would be a long haul for the locals that have to take it daily.

Well, who knows. The OPP can make a few friends in the area and generate some great press by having a couple of "Seizure" days on the 507. They set up on a weekend, catch a few dozen people doing 50 over, have a couple of flatbeds or trailers full of bikes, lots of press and then a followup on convictions and fines.

Caledon peeps ...

The one and only active speed camera that I know of (for now), is on Old Church Road westbound as you enter Caledon East ... roughly across from the court house (how fitting). It's maybe 50 metres after the first "community safety zone" and "municipal speed camera" signs that you see. Speed limit is 50 there. Grey square box at a 45-ish-degree angle beside the road very close to the curb. Easy to spot if you know what to look for. At least for now, once you are past that, you are clear, and eastbound you are clear.

And ... yesterday morning ... going eastbound (opposite direction of the speed camera) ... I saw a westbound red Mazda approaching pretty fast, and thinking to myself, someone's gonna get a ticket. Sure enough, that grey square box flashed as they went by.

Another thing people passing through Caledon should know of. There has been a school zone on King Road between Kennedy and Heart Lake for as long as I can remember, which was a 60 zone that became a 40 zone near the school when the school-zone lights were flashing (which made sense). That is now a permanent 40 zone that has been expanded considerably in both directions and marked as a community safety zone.

I foresee public backlash against these.

Last edited:
Caledon peeps ...

The one and only active speed camera that I know of (for now), is on Old Church Road westbound as you enter Caledon East ... roughly across from the court house (how fitting). It's maybe 50 metres after the first "community safety zone" and "municipal speed camera" signs that you see. Speed limit is 50 there. Grey square box at a 45-ish-degree angle beside the road very close to the curb. Easy to spot if you know what to look for. At least for now, once you are past that, you are clear, and eastbound you are clear.

And ... yesterday morning ... going westbound (opposite direction of the speed camera) ... I saw an eastbound red Mazda approaching pretty fast, and thinking to myself, someone's gonna get a ticket. Sure enough, that grey square box flashed as they went by.

Another thing people passing through Caledon should know of. There has been a school zone on King Road between Kennedy and Heart Lake for as long as I can remember, which was a 60 zone that became a 40 zone near the school when the school-zone lights were flashing (which made sense). That is now a permanent 40 zone that has been expanded considerably in both directions and marked as a community safety zone.

I foresee public backlash against these.
wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.gif

At 02:00 in the summer.

I have the same problems now with photo radar that I did in the past. They push so hard to sell it as safety and it just isnt in the cast majority of cases. Sell it as taxation that you can easily avoid and it is much closer to reality.

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.gif

At 02:00 in the summer.

I have the same problems now with photo radar that I did in the past. They push so hard to sell it as safety and it just isnt in the cast majority of cases. Sell it as taxation that you can easily avoid and it is much closer to reality.
Except Politicians know people will vote for a candidate who is pro safety, as opposed to the candidate who is pro taxation...lol

There is a camera on Harmony road, (Oshawa), directly in front of a school. The signage was there for a couple of months in advance with the "coming soon" portion being removed when camera was installed. BUT, on the opposite side of the road, is one of those small signs that show the posted limited as well as your speed. I see people slowing down all the time when they see that sign, (I am sure MANY think that si the speed camera)...LMAO.

There's a relatively new one on Jane now, between Lambton and Eglinton. It's a 50 zone on a hill and the sign advertising the camera is a bit obscured due to long tree branches. I've seen lots fall victim to it already.

When I was in Edmonton they had red light cameras and speed cameras set at the same intersection

speed to get through a yellow light and they get you

Rumour has it one of the local boy racers (part of a gaggle of Andretti wannabees who are well known in the area) got a ticket for close to $700.

Whole lot less crackling exhausts and squealing tires in the area recently.

In related news, when the **** did "Crackle tunes" become a thing. Fart can mufflers were one thing, but now straight pipes and "Crackle tunes" (where the car backfires and crackles endlessly every time the accelerator pedal is lifted) seems to be the new hotness in the ricer crowd.

Rumour has it one of the local boy racers (part of a gaggle of Andretti wannabees who are well known in the area) got a ticket for close to $700.

In related news, when the **** did "Crackle tunes" become a thing. Fart can mufflers were one thing, but now straight pipes and "Crackle tunes" (where the car backfires and crackles endlessly every time the accelerator pedal is lifted) seems to be the new hotness in the ricer crowd.
Ugh, vw people love the cracke tunes too. I am a huge fan of the "why doesnt my crackle tune work?" shortly followed by the "why is my cat melted?" threads. Wankers.

really love the sound of a mercedes, the way they are program to shut down rpm between WOT shifts makes it have a sweet exhaust note

Its been on stock 'factory option' exhausts for awhile now. And they can be quite repetitive and loud with no modification.

Back
Top Bottom