Spam Callers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Spam Callers

ToSlow

Site Supporter
What happened to this no call list and the government stepping on this? I'm getting 3 or 4 calls and more a day

Wow. I get like maybe 2-3 a week, but then just have a land line.

What happened to this no call list and the government stepping on this? I'm getting 3 or 4 calls and more a day
iphone has a feature to send all numbers that aren't in your contact list to voice mail, you wont even get a ring notification.

not sure if android has the same.

The Do Not Call list was created to address a different problem, of legitimate to semi-legitimate businesses cold calling you.

The problem you have nowadays is with entirely fraudulent callers using VoIP systems that are effectively unblockable and who fear no consequences from our country's government. To fix it requires basically a rethinking of the global telephony system. Telcos don't really seem to moving quickly on the problem. The current best solutions are features on phones that try to intelligently screen the nuisance calls out

As annoying as it is I just sort of got used to it.

If I pick up a call from an unrecognized number and it turns out to be the air duct cleaning masters I don't even bother to tell them to phuck off. I just simply hang up.

I used to call to be taken off the list but the seem to not understand plain English. They don't understand swear words either.

Even with a call-blocker, the calls keep coming, these call-centers switch the number that appears on the display.

Even with a call-blocker, the calls keep coming, these call-centers switch the number that appears on the display.
They don’t switch anything, they just spoof a fake number. Sometimes they use a number similar to yours, so you will think it’s something familiar.

The Do Not Call list was created to address a different problem, of legitimate to semi-legitimate businesses cold calling you.

The problem you have nowadays is with entirely fraudulent callers using VoIP systems that are effectively unblockable and who fear no consequences from our country's government. To fix it requires basically a rethinking of the global telephony system. Telcos don't really seem to moving quickly on the problem. The current best solutions are features on phones that try to intelligently screen the nuisance calls out
One thing they could do to stop Mr Duct. If you are on the Do Not Call Registry and they call you, you can accept the product or service but you don't have to pay.

It won't stop the purely illegal stuff like "You are sending virus out and need to push start" "This is the CRA, send us bitcoin"

One thing they could do to stop Mr Duct. If you are on the Do Not Call Registry and they call you, you can accept the product or service but you don't have to pay.

It won't stop the purely illegal stuff like "You are sending virus out and need to push start" "This is the CRA, send us bitcoin"
I’ve got like 5 or more arrest warrants on my name with CRA officer Mike…

I get maybe 1 every few months. I've had the same cellphone number for about 15 years now.
My primary key to success is NEVER posting my number anywhere online, EVER, and those I give it in person on in a PM or whatever, to I'm usually pretty particular to state "don't give it out or post it anywhere".

However As soon as you share a number online anywhere public it gets scraped by bots and added to a list of phone numbers for autodialers.

Second key to success is not to answer any strange phone numbers, because 99% of the time it's spam. If you don't answer and it just goes to voicemail you'll never be added to any "confirmed live person" list which then boosts your spam calls even more.

My third key to success is if you must answer a call from a number you don't recognize (IE you're expecting a call but don't know what number it might come from) I answer the call, say hello, and immediately put the call on mute and listen for a response. If there's no response initially and just dead air but suddenly there's the usual click and the customary "hello I am calling from the FBI there is a warrant for your arrest" nonsense starts, hang up immediately - that effectively gives the same result where they typically mark the line as "dead" instead of "real person". If it's actually a real person that responds after you say hello and hit mute, then take the call off mute and continue.

I have my wife and kids follow the same guidelines and her cellphone number is close to 20 years old and she gets basically zero spam calls. My daughter has my childhood phone number (Probably one of the only cellphones in the province with a 728 Oshawa exchange) and despite that phone number being probably 50 years old, same thing - no spam calls.

Just never getting on the lists to begin with is key. Consider them like trolls on the internet - never feed them, just ignore and let them think you died.

I at least take comfort in that my personal "professional" email address, with 4.7K legit emails, has gotten less than a handful of spam emails over nine years. Of course, the clock is ticking - someday, probably soon, another database gets compromised and then suddenly the address will be out in the open.

I get maybe 1 every few months. I've had the same cellphone number for about 15 years now.
My primary key to success is NEVER posting my number anywhere online, EVER, and those I give it in person on in a PM or whatever, to I'm usually pretty particular to state "don't give it out or post it anywhere".

However As soon as you share a number online anywhere public it gets scraped by bots and added to a list of phone numbers for autodialers.

Second key to success is not to answer any strange phone numbers, because 99% of the time it's spam. If you don't answer and it just goes to voicemail you'll never be added to any "confirmed live person" list which then boosts your spam calls even more.

My third key to success is if you must answer a call from a number you don't recognize (IE you're expecting a call but don't know what number it might come from) I answer the call, say hello, and immediately put the call on mute and listen for a response. If there's no response initially and just dead air but suddenly there's the usual click and the customary "hello I am calling from the FBI there is a warrant for your arrest" nonsense starts, hang up immediately - that effectively gives the same result where they typically mark the line as "dead" instead of "real person". If it's actually a real person that responds after you say hello and hit mute, then take the call off mute and continue.

I have my wife and kids follow the same guidelines and her cellphone number is close to 20 years old and she gets basically zero spam calls. My daughter has my childhood phone number (Probably one of the only cellphones in the province with a 728 Oshawa exchange) and despite that phone number being probably 50 years old, same thing - no spam calls.

Just never getting on the lists to begin with is key. Consider them like trolls on the internet - never feed them, just ignore and let them think you died.
I answer each and every spam call I receive and then waste their time, my wife simply ignores them. I receive 1-2 calls a month, she receives 1-2 a day.

I answer each and every spam call I receive and then waste their time

Don't be surprised if one day your call volume goes through the roof.

"Confirmed real person" lists fetch more money on the scammer market.

Back
Top Bottom