Sometimes a moment of "stupid" happens... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sometimes a moment of "stupid" happens...

Listen Brother... 20 years ago I was almost taken by the same type of scam and I am just like you only more anal retentive about research. My guys flagged me down at a stop light.. honest. It was for speakers back then and it all looked great... invoices... same story as yours.. left over... almost said yep. But then, at the last minute, I bailed. Just a feeling. Pure luck cause I wanted what they were selling. Anyway... live and learn and get over it. Just never do it again!!!

Unless of course you are after this sweet flatscreen I have ... then just drop me a note and I'll fix you up ;)!

hhahaah

been approached with the same scam several times now. Last time as they were telling me about these speakers and one guy opened up the van to get a box out i replied with "You guys know this is the oldest scam in the book right?"

The expression was priceless. Both of them just stopped and for about 10 seconds couldn't respond with anything.

Anyways long story short i grabbed their plates and reported them to the local police department. One of them wanted to fight me too hahah

Someone I know fell victim to the same scam. It happens. I've been taken once by someone who claimed he was in a bind to get Windsor but stuck in town because he ran out of gas and had no money. I lent him gas money and he gave me a cell phone number that worked at the time. He thanked me and promised to call me the next day to pay it back. He never did and the number was disconnected.

He took advantage of my sense of charity but I have to admit I had a bad feeling from the start. I was at work so I didn't have time to go verify his claims and even though he was polite he seemed pushy for the money. I brushed it off as urgency. Funny... any other day I wouldn't have fallen for it but that week I was thinking to myself that I'd try to do more for other people and suddenly the opportunity presented itself. Timing was too perfect. It's unfortunate but moral of the story is to listen to your gut I suppose.

Speaking of scams, is it me or are there a suspicious number of characters at the downtown bus terminal in Toronto that "just got out of jail and need money to get home"?

First time I was there, there was a guy who told me he just got out of jail and needed money to get home. The guy showed me a few documents (which I didnt actually look at) and he seemed genuinely desperate so I gave the guy a $20.

Second time I was there, same story so I started thinking. 2 out of 2 times is a little suspicious.

Speaking of scams, is it me or are there a suspicious number of characters at the downtown bus terminal in Toronto that "just got out of jail and need money to get home"?

First time I was there, there was a guy who told me he just got out of jail and needed money to get home. The guy showed me a few documents (which I didnt actually look at) and he seemed genuinely desperate so I gave the guy a $20.

Second time I was there, same story so I started thinking. 2 out of 2 times is a little suspicious.

Did the same thing many years ago, same place. He wanted my address to send the money back but I didn't want to get burgled on top of it. I told him not to worry about it. Figured he told a good story, so he earned the $20.

It happened to me about 12 years ago. I was a new to the city small town boy and this guy comes up to me in the Walmart parking lot. He says he had two speaker stacks leftover from a job. I should of walked away when he accepted my offer of half. They worked and everything, but I think I lost some good karma for buying stolen merch.

It happened to me about 12 years ago. I was a new to the city small town boy and this guy comes up to me in the Walmart parking lot. He says he had two speaker stacks leftover from a job. I should of walked away when he accepted my offer of half. They worked and everything, but I think I lost some good karma for buying stolen merch.

Interesting point. Hope no one takes this the wrong way but, morally, this might be one of those scams where the victim is deserving of it for having tried to buy stolen merchandise in the first place.

Meh,

I knew of this scam years ago, and was approached probably almost 10 years ago about speakers. I knew they were ****.

I bought them super cheap, and have them hooked into my PS3 surround system now. Work just fine for gaming.

Man, I had no idea speakers were in such demand that people would actually be interested in buying them out of a van.

I got a pair of potent StudioLab speakers that Ive been meaning to post up for sale but haven't bothered since I didn't think many were buying speakers these days. Guess Im wrong.

Man, I had no idea speakers were in such demand that people would actually be interested in buying them out of a van.

I got a pair of potent StudioLab speakers that Ive been meaning to post up for sale but haven't bothered since I didn't think many were buying speakers these days. Guess Im wrong.

Its not that they are in demand its the fact that people are getting offered $2,000 speakers BNIB with price tags for $100 or so.

I did the same thing as inferno and bought a set super cheap after negotiating, knew they are garbage but they look awesome and arent bad for a movie room.

Ohhhh did the OP edit the story? How did he get taken? I've been approached but usually tell them to screw off. I know something is wrong with the deal, but never experienced it to find out. So I guess the things are just garbage.

Last edited:
Some of these scammers have even created fake product websites with outrageous MSRPs to further entice would be buyers. I was looking at projectors on kijiji one day and saw a 1080p projector priced at a couple hundred bucks. It was a brand I never heard of before and looked suspect so I google'd it and found a fake site claiming a MSRP of $4999 lol. Another google search revealed the scam.

Dont post them for sale. Drive around to random parking lots and sell them out of your trunk. Guaranteed sale!

Back
Top Bottom