So, What Do We Think of Cybertruck? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

So, What Do We Think of Cybertruck?

Literally every concept rendering of the Tesla truck I’ve seen is far better than this supposed production version.

I too am waiting for someone to say this was a joke and that one of these is the production version

aa7ef11b889289dec1a911cd13daf88c.jpg

I still don't get America's fascination with pick ups as daily drivers, (apart, of course, from those people who use them for their intended use.)
Seriously? What don't you get?
Just like your suv's and cars, there's 4 wheels, windscreen, doors, engine etc. Except if you own a pickup truck, there's no need to borrow or rent one. Because we all know we need one, at least once a week.
Can't believe you didn't make an exception for the ridgeline! ?

Seriously? What don't you get?
Just like your suv's and cars, there's 4 wheels, windscreen, doors, engine etc. Except if you own a pickup truck, there's no need to borrow or rent one. Because we all know we need one, at least once a week.
Can't believe you didn't make an exception for the ridgeline! ?

When I see ladies and families clambering into their high full size pickups at the mall, yes, I scratch my head. Why do they need a 6 foot box? Why do they need a truck to drive like a car?

I'd take a SUV variant over any pick up truck any day. (Pilot over Ridgeline) (Expedition over F150) (Sequoia over Tundra) etc.

It's one of those things that is just so ugly that it's actually kind of cool. It's different. I like it.
The photos @caboose56 posted would make it a lot more attractive, but not nearly as cool.

If they were intending the design of the Cybertruck as a joke and were planning to radically change the design on production, then they're going to piss off the tens of thousands of people who put a deposit down on one and are expecting the Stainless Steel DustBuster design.

My FB newsfeed is rife with screenshots of Cybertruck deposit confirmations.

Had no idea so many of my friends had such bad taste. But then again, they are friends with *me*, so...

I am even more convinced that Tesla could sell anything, no matter how bad it was. No idea why they are being given such a pass.

I kinda like it? But I would never buy it, nor any truck that cost more than $2000. There's two main things I see going on here:

-You can't out-truck the big 3 on their own territory/terms. It will never ever work. You gotta do something different. Ford already has a presumably much more normal electric truck in the pipeline
-There are certain payoffs for the truck looking the way it does. Easier to build, repair, I bet it is actually aerodynamic without actually looking that way. A truck that is hard to dent is no joke, 2/3 working trucks I see on the road are damaged somewhere. (Could this actually be a working truck? Well...)

No way are those wheels sticking out with prominent (and squared-off) skirts around them aerodynamically efficient. This hasn't seen the inside of a wind tunnel.

Agree on having to do something different from the big 3 but this concept could have been so much better. I agree with caboose ... practically all of the wild-imagination concepts look better than the real thing.

The heavy stainless-steel skin is simply a stupid idea. Stainless-steel that thick is expensive and heavy (and hard to work with, at the manufacturing level). Making it that heavy means the structure underneath needs to be heavier; the effect snowballs through the whole vehicle. Sure, it's dent-resistant, but even a minor increase in thickness from the standard 20-gauge-or-thereabouts (0.8 - 0.9 mm) drastically increases its stiffness, and it can be done strategically in vulnerable areas. A better way to make a stamped sheet metal part stiffer ... is to bend it into a shape that has compound curves in it. Ya know, like a normal automotive body. Want corrosion-resistance and dent-resistance without painting? Plastic with the colour moulded in! (Know what car was like that? The humble smart!)

Be interesting to see what happens in a rear bumper test. The top edge of the tailgate (with the taillight all the way across) will hit first. Oops.

Be interesting to see what happens to a pedestrian who gets hit. Granted, normal pickup trucks aren't good in this area, either.

No exterior mirrors does not conform to current FMVSS/CMVSS. Cameras are not accepted as a substitute. (Yes, there's pressure to change this, but as of right now, that's the situation.)

But what do I know. I'm just a lowly subcontractor to Magna Body and Chassis ...

It's one of those things that is just so ugly that it's actually kind of cool. It's different. I like it.
The photos @caboose56 posted would make it a lot more attractive, but not nearly as cool.

Man... i dunno.

The Aztec was super ugly and it was definitely never cool. I feel like Tesla could have flipped the truck word on its head and still made something that genuinely looked good.

This thing, with a more realistic wheel and tire combo, covering all the other propulsion technology (something that Tesla does extremely well) would have smashed it out of the park.

704d405d8fcb08ce8bbe55e8e46abbea.jpg

The heavy stainless-steel skin is simply a stupid idea. Stainless-steel that thick is expensive and heavy (and hard to work with, at the manufacturing level). Making it that heavy means the structure underneath needs to be heavier; the effect snowballs through the whole vehicle. Sure, it's dent-resistant, but even a minor increase in thickness from the standard 20-gauge-or-thereabouts (0.8 - 0.9 mm) drastically increases its stiffness, and it can be done strategically in vulnerable areas. A better way to make a stamped sheet metal part stiffer ... is to bend it into a shape that has compound curves in it. Ya know, like a normal automotive body. Want corrosion-resistance and dent-resistance without painting? Plastic with the colour moulded in! (Know what car was like that? The humble smart!)
From what i hear...that's why they made it that shape, so that there's less frame required while providing the same type of resistance as a fully framed car.
He mentioned in his presentation that it would be similar weight to a f-150 so there has to be something somewhere that makes it lighter (especially considering the battery)
Oh well...time will tell right?!

another thing I found interesting, is that you can get it any colour you want, as long as its stainless steel. lolz

apparently, lack of paint for this truck is saving a tonne of money in investing in paint, labour and a paint booth, which translates into lower development costs, and a lower starting price.

pretty brilliant if you ask me, any owners who want paint, can always look to aftermarket.

another thing I found interesting, is that you can get it any colour you want, as long as its stainless steel. lolz

apparently, lack of paint for this truck is saving a tonne of money in investing in paint, labour and a paint booth, which translates into lower development costs, and a lower starting price.

pretty brilliant if you ask me, any owners who want paint, can always look to aftermarket.
PLASTIDIP YO

thas where it's at

No exterior mirrors does not conform to current FMVSS/CMVSS. Cameras are not accepted as a substitute. (Yes, there's pressure to change this, but as of right now, that's the situation.)
Are you tuned in to that sort of thing? Do you know if laser headlights are gonna be allowed anytime soon?

As to the rest of everything you pointed out... all valid, but also not sure if even Tesla is taking this 100% seriously. Six months from now, we may never hear about this truck again. Or it may see some limited success, and get a more reasonable second iteration. Unqualified success is... unlikely.

There is a proposal to amend FMVSS 108 to allow adaptive headlights, which has evidently been approved in principle by NHTSA, but it's not in effect yet and I haven't heard of a proposed implementation date.

There is also current discussion to allow rear-view cameras in place of outside rear-view mirrors. NHTSA Debates Cameras Replacing Car Mirrors

If past history is any guide, even though there are existing standards in the rest of the world for these, NHTSA will want to do their own research and make their own standards. "Not invented here" syndrome. This can take a long time.

I think the issue with the Cybertruck is that its going to be a jack of all trades, master of none sort of vehicle. There is a lot of hype but I think the novelty factor is really what is going to sell it. Practicality seems to be a bit of an afterthought.

Has Telsa released anything on the range when towing? They like to flaunt that the top trim can tow 6000+kg but never list the anticipated range. Stick an enclosed trailer on the back and I’m sure the range becomes an issue fast.

As far as being an F150 Killer I doubt it. Range aside the bed/interior is just not geared towards anyone who does more than pickup a MALM dresser at Ikea. They are totally missing out on the trades/contractors market. If they stuck to a regular “truck” design there is a huge market of guys who want to ditch the gas work trucks.

Back
Top Bottom