Snow Blower Driveway test | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow Blower Driveway test

I did my driveway this AM with a 120 volt 20". The cord is becoming less of a nuisance as I develop tricks to make it behave, I use a 50' cord but fold it in half so it acts more like a 25 footer. I need to replace it with a cold weather grade one as well.
It looked powdery but 5hp 21" was at the edge for me today. Had to slow down when pushing downhill as it would bog down. It could deal with more, it just keeps getting slower amd more annoying. Next snowblower will be 2 stage with more power.

The snow was deeeep. Over the top of my blower for the most part.
24" 8hp ~25 - 30 yrs old, worked like a champ.
It finally looks like winter!
More coming Thursday. I can hardly wait.

note to self... in the future....keep spare shear bolts in stock so I don't have to run out to the Deere dealer in the middle of snow clearing to replenish......

I have the same blower as WingBoy - different brand but totally identical.

Last couple of times out it was "dopey" at the start. Would barely blow or move on it's own. Then it seems to catch it's breath and work great. Wondering if that's a sign of a worn belt?

A deere is probably cheaper.
What you don't have a Honda

somehow I knew this was coming.

HAD a Honda, best snowblower ever. bought it used, owned it for 5+ trouble free years, and sold it for more than I paid for it, as a tractor better suited my needs (year round convenience for grass, and snow)

until Honda offers a tractor in Canada, the Deere it is.

Last edited:

Last couple of times out it was "dopey" at the start. Would barely blow or move on it's own. Then it seems to catch it's breath and work great. Wondering if that's a sign of a worn belt?
The auger is dopey or the drive wheels? How is belt tension? Most are adjustable. Belt could be getting sad. My two year old belt is showing substantial wear.

I had this problem on a Craftsman two-stage that I used to own. Would slip like crazy early on, then would grab and run fine unless I really bogged it down, when it would slip again until unloaded. Replaced the belt for about $15, problem went away. I think it would get sticky enough when warm to work, but just barely. That model had a spring tensioner, I think, so almost no adjustment available...

GG both drive and auger
Priller that makes sense cause once it's going it runs like a champ. I'm pretty sure it's a spring tensionor.

I had a single stage Honda blower. Utter piece of shite.

I had this problem on a Craftsman two-stage that I used to own. Would slip like crazy early on, then would grab and run fine unless I really bogged it down, when it would slip again until unloaded. Replaced the belt for about $15, problem went away. I think it would get sticky enough when warm to work, but just barely. That model had a spring tensioner, I think, so almost no adjustment available...
I think I’m going to have to replace the belt on my tonight. Lever pulls fine but zero movement from the auger. Shear pins look fine. So I spent 2 hours clearing by hand. Fun times! Going to pick up new belts soon.

Mine has a spring tensioner but also an adjustment plate to set slack. For mine, they want 1/2" spring extension IIRC. Adjustment plate has inches of adjustment (probably to allow for terrible cable tolerances as you rarely need to move more than one hole during the life of a belt).

I think I’m going to have to replace the belt on my tonight. Lever pulls fine but zero movement from the auger. Shear pins look fine. So I spent 2 hours clearing by hand. Fun times! Going to pick up new belts soon.
I'd have a look inside to make sure it's all lined up and working, bar the belt. Once warmed up, mine would squeal a bit when the belt was slipping (i.e. when I would charge headlong into a 2' high plow ridge), and once the chute was cleared you could see the augur trying to turn but in fits and starts until it gripped and would go again. It never just went dead, especially with a little help from the clearing stick.

Mine has a spring tensioner but also an adjustment plate to set slack. For mine, they want 1/2" spring extension IIRC. Adjustment plate has inches of adjustment (probably to allow for terrible cable tolerances as you rarely need to move more than one hole during the life of a belt).
IIRC, the one I had was only adjustable by shortening the pull cable attached to the auger engagement lever, which had limited range. The belt was a V, and I think it was just worn too narrow to be gripped by the pulleys properly, so the issue wasn't just tension. No idea how long the belts would last, though. I swapped them out almost immediately because I bought it used, and it lasted through a fair bit of super-heavy West Coast snow for four years until we left the snowblower with the house when we sold it...

"no idea how long belts last" I usually determine this when things don't run. I replaced the serpentine belt on my Toyota and only about six inches of belt were together the rest had all seperated but each "individual belt" was still pulling for me.

Probably. They are stupid simple to work on.
Stand it on its front, remove the belly pan 6 bolts to access the drive and cables.
Remove the plastic belt cover between the front and the motor to access the auger belts.

Probably. They are stupid simple to work on.
Stand it on its front, remove the belly pan 6 bolts to access the drive and cables.
Remove the plastic belt cover between the front and the motor to access the auger belts.
Very much this. I put off belt replacement for a couple snowfalls because I figured it'd be a complex job, but once I looked closer, I was surprised by the brutal simplicity verging on elegant design. Mine needed the augur to be separated from the main body to replace belts, but that was essentially four bolts, super simple.

Now I'm running a cheapo plastic corded electric single-stage, and after the walloping we got in Hamilton last night, I was worried about it getting through the driveway. If it goes down, I'll be surprised if it's serviceable...

I know the drill Wingboy. Had it apart more than once. Their so simple (and elegant - the wheel on disc that goes over centre to provide reverse - pure genius)
I'm looking for (expecting) a more complicated problem. No doubt the belt is the problem.

I know the drill Wingboy. Had it apart more than once. Their so simple (and elegant - the wheel on disc that goes over centre to provide reverse - pure genius)
I'm looking for (expecting) a more complicated problem. No doubt the belt is the problem.
Everytime i have had an issue, it has been fixed by adjusting or replacing a cable.
Having said that, i have replaced the belts once in 25 years and the cables twice. Belts were worn. Cables broke.

Edit. Been out on the ice?

I had the rubber come off the wheel that runs on the disc. Pretty simple fix. I think that's a common failure.

Sadly no ice time. Wish it was stored at my buddies place near the Ganny, he's been out on Rice lake. That said I have been getting seat time on my 1980 Kawi Invader.

Fack the blower on the tractor picked up a extension cord in the drive chain and blew everything apart bent the idler sprocket destroyed the guard chain is gone. hours of work to fix. Pulled the 30 year old mtd out started right up after sitting for years runs like crap unloaded but always has and cleared the driveway took almost 2 hours but done.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

Back
Top Bottom