Running.. ugghh | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

I've come close to buying from running free but the specific models or features id be looking for werent available at the time. Sounds like a great place to check if you know what youre looking for

I’m just curious how you guys run in the cold weather (obviously not this week). I find it hard to breathe when it gets cold. Plus I start off freezing and sweating like a pig within 10min (obviously due to me not having any cardio).

I’m just curious how you guys run in the cold weather (obviously not this week). I find it hard to breathe when it gets cold. Plus I start off freezing and sweating like a pig within 10min (obviously due to me not having any cardio).
-Breathe through your nose as much as possible if the air is really cold, that may mean you have to slow down (I usually try to breathe through both as I find it difficult to breathe just through the nose unless going really slow)
-Use a baclava or similar, basically anything that covers your mouth and nose so you are not breathing straight cold air but cold air mixed with warm from within the baclava
-I always dress for when I'm warmed up, which usually means being cold at the start. You can try taking layers off but I find it a PITA to carry what I took off. You'd be surprised how little clothes you need even when it's pretty cold (running tights, t-shirt, sweatshirt, windbreaker, gloves, mask/baclava, hat and maybe a neck warmer). If it's really cold/windy you might find your feet get cold as most running shoes are very breathable. I have tried taping over the upper to block the wind, it works until the tape falls off. There is also wind blocking underwear, but I've never used them. I'm sure they help but it rarely gets cold/windy enough in the GTA.

You should be feeling a tid bit cold when you start. On colder days you might even feel uncomfortably cold in the beginning. Honestly extremeties are the most important part to keep warm
The breathing thing eventually gets easier but if youre gasping for air like a madman it will be hard to keep it warm in your lungs. So breathing through a buff or baclava might help

@LePhillou it turns out my wife did sign up for the Muskoka 1/2 Ironman on the day it opened up, so we will be there! Offer still stands if you have any questions about anything related to training, the race itself or whatever.

@mimico_polak for colder weather I find it sucks for about the first 10 minutes, but once warmed up, it can be really nice with no overheating and the air is really crisp.
I just picked up a few items that come from Europe. First is a pair of running tights from Spain that are mildly compression based and feel really great. Super thin and stretchy, super lightweight and have a wide temperature range for comfort (-10deg to +15deg). I've never worn tights like this before and I'm pretty impressed. NAGAI III - Hoko Sport
For my head, I picked up a cycling cap from Romania which covers the ears and is also super thin, lightweight and very warm, but breathable. It's also free of seams across the front, so I picked up a second one to wear under my motorcycle helmet, which would help people who wear earbuds when they ride or just want to keep their helmet cleaner. Skull cap TORNANTE S2
I also have a few pairs of running gloves, which are just good enough to keep my hands warm in anything above -10deg.
I bought them all from that store I mentioned earlier in Waterdown called Along The Road
For running outside when it's colder than -10deg, then time to bust out the balaclava, heavyweight tights, thicker running jacket/gloves, etc.

Now after 2 months of running 3x per week, I'm running 10k's in 55min with ease - in October it was taking me 65min with difficulty. 15km long run coming up on Sunday and haven't run 15km straight in probably 5 years or more. However my shoes are getting really close to done and New Balance doesn't carry them anymore (FreshFoam 860v11). I also can't find them online in a 4e width shoe, so time to try out a different model of stability shoe. I'm open to any suggestions for something similar to the 860's I was using.

@LePhillou it turns out my wife did sign up for the Muskoka 1/2 Ironman on the day it opened up, so we will be there! Offer still stands if you have any questions about anything related to training, the race itself or whatever.

@mimico_polak for colder weather I find it sucks for about the first 10 minutes, but once warmed up, it can be really nice with no overheating and the air is really crisp.
I just picked up a few items that come from Europe. First is a pair of running tights from Spain that are mildly compression based and feel really great. Super thin and stretchy, super lightweight and have a wide temperature range for comfort (-10deg to +15deg). I've never worn tights like this before and I'm pretty impressed. NAGAI III - Hoko Sport
For my head, I picked up a cycling cap from Romania which covers the ears and is also super thin, lightweight and very warm, but breathable. It's also free of seams across the front, so I picked up a second one to wear under my motorcycle helmet, which would help people who wear earbuds when they ride or just want to keep their helmet cleaner. Skull cap TORNANTE S2
I also have a few pairs of running gloves, which are just good enough to keep my hands warm in anything above -10deg.
I bought them all from that store I mentioned earlier in Waterdown called Along The Road
For running outside when it's colder than -10deg, then time to bust out the balaclava, heavyweight tights, thicker running jacket/gloves, etc.

Now after 2 months of running 3x per week, I'm running 10k's in 55min with ease - in October it was taking me 65min with difficulty. 15km long run coming up on Sunday and haven't run 15km straight in probably 5 years or more. However my shoes are getting really close to done and New Balance doesn't carry them anymore (FreshFoam 860v11). I also can't find them online in a 4e width shoe, so time to try out a different model of stability shoe. I'm open to any suggestions for something similar to the 860's I was using.
Go and check out Running Free in Markham, it's like a candy store for runners
You won't be disappointed

If you want to make your wife happy, most of my wifes winter running tights (fleecy inside) have come from costco recently. She likes the Mondettas and I bought her some spyders and they passed the test too. For <20% of the price of premium products she has no complaints.

A little late but another great addition for the winter is a tracer360. Super visible from every direction. Most of her running now is in the dark on roads without sidewalks (although it would still be useful on the sidewalk so people turning didn't try to squish you/your wife). They have a new version that is substantially similar (rechargeable instead of AA). She's had hers for years with no issues.

If you want to make your wife happy, most of my wifes winter running tights (fleecy inside) have come from costco recently. She likes the Mondettas and I bought her some spyders and they passed the test too. For <20% of the price of premium products she has no complaints.

A little late but another great addition for the winter is a tracer360. Super visible from every direction. Most of her running now is in the dark on roads without sidewalks (although it would still be useful on the sidewalk so people turning didn't try to squish you/your wife). They have a new version that is substantially similar (rechargeable instead of AA). She's had hers for years with no issues.
Thanks. She has so much running clothing she could almost open up her own store, but she always runs at night and it bugs me that she doesn’t wear a light or anything like that. I like those tracer lights, so I will for sure keep that in mind for her.

I run a fair bit at night and always wear a headlamp. Not only does it help others see me, but I’ve avoided countless potholes, frostheaves and icy patches.

I'm still at 5 km most days but getting really icy in am (went down hard last week)where I live so thinking of buying a tread.

I love the one at the gym, bounce deck etc. However the price for professional equipment. 5k on that is no prob

Never thought I'd ask but if anyone has advice on what to look for I'd appreciate it.

I'm still at 5 km most days but getting really icy in am (went down hard last week)where I live so thinking of buying a tread.

I love the one at the gym, bounce deck etc. However the price for professional equipment. 5k on that is no prob

Never thought I'd ask but if anyone has advice on what to look for I'd appreciate it.
With sheet metal screws you can make winter running shoes out of an old pair pretty easily. Depending on miles they will last a season or less before you need to replace the screws.

My wife wants a treadmill too and is going to send me information on ones that are acceptable. I will pass it along when I get it.

My problem is a highway, not just a regular road. It is always icy. Picks just don't work on ice. Now it's skates which are usually fun....
Thanks!

Been doing run/walk intervals for 4 weeks now. I'm up to two 7-minute intervals (the rest of the 30-35 minutes being a fast walk) and today was the first time I didn't wake up with tender shinbones the day after a run.

Still a ways to go before I can run a continuous 5k but I'll take the W. 🥳

Last edited:
I think i might sign up for a half marathon in spring (toronto or mississauga) because i have never run one and i need to be able to run one as part of my half iron.
I broke my 3-month-no-workout streak with some time in the saddle... after only 28minutes i had trouble sitting down on a normal chair
I don't know how i rode 130km last year without saddle pain post-ride when this destroyed me.
Good news is the 2nd ride went a lot better after 5 minutes of riding (the first 10 seconds were excruciating though).

Now to start a training plan for the half marathon :(

I think i might sign up for a half marathon in spring (toronto or mississauga) because i have never run one and i need to be able to run one as part of my half iron.
I broke my 3-month-no-workout streak with some time in the saddle... after only 28minutes i had trouble sitting down on a normal chair
I don't know how i rode 130km last year without saddle pain post-ride when this destroyed me.
Good news is the 2nd ride went a lot better after 5 minutes of riding (the first 10 seconds were excruciating though).

Now to start a training plan for the half marathon :(
Isn't toronto the downhill one? If so, that will set a time for you that will make you feel good (but don't expect to match it on a flat course).

As for riding, I hate riding on a trainer. A bike that is comfortable on the road is a torture rack in the trainer. Rocker plate build likely happening this winter.

Isn't toronto the downhill one? If so, that will set a time for you that will make you feel good (but don't expect to match it on a flat course).

As for riding, I hate riding on a trainer. A bike that is comfortable on the road is a torture rack in the trainer. Rocker plate build likely happening this winter.
Yes it's the toronto one that's downhill. Mississauga is hilly ish..but it might be better to do that one because
a) it's closer
b) the half ironman is in muskoka so hills everywhere

the trainer is uncomfortable until it isnt... i was up to 2 hours last year when i stopped riding inside. But i had to build up

Always wondered how those trainers are instead of buying a different exercise bike.

Trying to convince the wife to get rid of the BOWFLEX Max Trainer from the basement and replace with something else.

Back
Top Bottom