Riders choice oil change gone wrong. | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riders choice oil change gone wrong.

I have seen this kind of damage many times

from driving off a curb and "belly ing out"

or load/unloading from a pickup truck....with aluminum ramps...that would leave a WHITE mark.....not red

my pipe has the same white mark

Last edited:
I live in a condo and do my changes in the underground...nothing wrong with that + it save coin;)

+1

I live in rental apartment building and also manage to change my oil in the underground garage. It takes a little longer if you also change the filter, but for oil only, it takes all of 10 minutes, and it's much cheaper than $108.

Heck, I pay that much to have oil change on my car at the dealership, and there 70% of the cost is the actual oil and filter. How much oil does your motorcycle eat?

When I lived in an apt building I used to do work on my vehs in the Underground parking but I got in alot of trouble from managmet/security.

I can understand why the OP doesn't want to do Oil changes in his underground parking for these reasons.

OP your new pics show the damage alot better as well as the overall condition of your plastics, there are tons of nicks in them and the 2nd crack from your fairings being removed in the past. There is no way possible for the mechanic to do all of that, just changing your oil filter when he did not remove your fairings.

Im sorry to say it, but if you bought the bike used the owner before you did that damage and you bought it already like that. Having worked on the exact same bike before, I can tell you those fairings are a pain in the *** to remove and install...Its very easy for someone to get frustrated or ham fisted and crack/nick them....You can see from your pics that at some point someone has removed and reinstalled your lowers...That is most likely where the cracks and nicks came from...

Last edited:
OP your new pics show the damage alot better as well as the overall condition of your plastics, there are tons of nicks in them and the 2nd crack from your fairings being removed in the past. There is no way possible for the mechanic to do all of that, just changing your oil filter when he did not remove your fairings.

Im sorry to say it, but if you bought the bike used the owner before you did that damage and you bought it already like that. Having worked on the exact same bike before, I can tell you those fairings are a pain in the *** to remove and install...Its very easy for someone to get frustrated or ham fisted and crack/nick them....You can see from your pics that at some point someone has removed and reinstalled your lowers...That is most likely where the cracks and nicks came from...

Maybe he tried removing them himself first, got frustrated, went to RC, then blamed them.

Maybe he tried removing them himself first, got frustrated, went to RC, then blamed them.

Considering he just bashed Jeff again and clearly wouldn't take him up on the offer for a demonstration, I'd say that could be a likely explanation. Seriously, the pictures tell the whole story. This bike has damage in a number of spots which are totally unrelated to an oil change.

And what recourse does Riders Choice have now after 7 pages of bashing? None. That's why some of these threads should be deleted.

And what recourse does Riders Choice have now after 7 pages of bashing? None. That's why some of these threads should be deleted.

I think taking MY money for shoddy service is their "recourse". Refer to my post in this thread re: RC f!ing up my valve job @ $800 (which I had to get redone).

I've had poorly done jobs performed by other mechanics (which they will readily rectify) .... it's RC's excuses and lack of owning up to their shoddy work that irks me -> It's NEVER their fault. And this is coming from a former RC customer where I previously had all my work done there, along with spending $2000+ on merchandise. You'd think that would count for something... NOT. And that's the other issue I have with RC.

The purpose of these threads is to allow people to take RC fan-boys' rave reviews (and there are lots of those) and RC whiners' reviews and then make their own decisions.

Last edited:

Those pics change the entire perspective. Now I am sorry that I jumped to agree so early on. It doesn't repair the fact that I was so easy to judge RC harshly. I already explained why I did that but I am big enough to admit that I was wrong in this case.

All those pics show lots of wear and tear

How many KLMs on that bike? divide by 5000 =====

How many times has it been loaded in a pickup?

These threads are getting boring , you have a problem, go work it out face to face

Don't come on the internet trying to get the masses on your side, you tell only 1 side

And then there's the guys that keep telling the same 5 year old stories, move on

The store is great and has lots of costomers DAILY, and a regular following for YEARS

Its a shame the few that cant solve their problems make the most noise.

Don't know about that white mark on the pipe, but I've seen very similar damage to fairing lowers from driving over a big speed bump. As the front end goes over the far side it compresses and pancakes the bellypan on the speed bump. I have white paint on the lowers on my bike, my wife got yellow on hers from a grocery store parking lot speed bump. Many riders wouldn't even notice this until someone tells them the lowers are damaged. As everyone is saying, there are two sides to every story.

Sounds like motorcycle shops need to do a "Walk around" of their customers bikes before getting the work order written up and signed.

Covers everyones ***.

IMHO, and from personal experience at RC, their customer service is so poor that this is exactly what I would expect people to do. If I were the proprietor I would seriously consider why people are so quick to take that position.

As is usually the case, s**t rolls downhill; in this case the problem is the proprietor.

There is NO WAY that happened by a stone.Those guys are crooks I went there twice last time being 2005!

Guys n Girls changing your oil has to be one of the easiest things to do...and learn....although I do like the stories here of people grumbling of being ripped off or damage done to there bikes..........tired of that? well why not take some time and read up on it.......and as for say living in a condo thats BS I used to live at 88 corporate drive and changed the oil on my cars and bike, with just once a security guard saying you cant do that here.....hmmm did anyways....so if your smart enough to figure out to use a computer you are able to change some oil.....if not keep us entertained with your stories of service gone wrong......if you want it done right DO IT YOURSELF!

Seems like the OP shot himself in the foot by believing/claiming that the rest of the damage was also caused by the RC mechanic.

Even though the damage that was originally reported could have still been caused during the oil change and have nothing to do with the rest of the nicks, no one's likely to believe him now!

Seems like the OP shot himself in the foot by believing/claiming that the rest of the damage was also caused by the RC mechanic.

Even though the damage that was originally reported could have still been caused during the oil change and have nothing to do with the rest of the nicks, no one's likely to believe him now!

Of course we're not gonna believe him, he's full of it.

The photos demonstrate pretty clearly that there was existing damage on those lower fairings. Either he didn't see it himself (having never done an oil change on his own bike, doesn't surprise me) or he was trying to scam money out of Riders Choice for the damage.

Unfortunately the "shop/industry standard" is 45mns-1hr of labour for an oil change. If it's finished before....... make the customer wait.

The only thing I need a shop for is a tire swap and I'll usually bring my rims in for that.

We tried to get RC to mount some tires for us, wheels off etc. They said they would not do it unless we bought the skins from THEM.
Went somewhere else.

Sometimes techs screw up, if they work for you then make it right. It's the cost of doing busness.

Pops:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom