Riders choice oil change gone wrong. | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riders choice oil change gone wrong.

Plenty of people, myself included, have had nothing but great experiences with Riders Choice. I've actually been in the shop to catch the 'other side' of some of the complaint threads that have been posted on GTAM in the past... definitely worth a laugh. Some of the bad reviews (not all, I'm sure) were just plain ludicrous.

For this particular thread, my money is going towards those cracks existing before the oil change but OP never actually saw them, since he doesn't do his own oil changes. That, and apparently he only just got the bike (used) a month ago?

I understand where you are coming from. My comment is from my perspective in dealing with RC in the past. I am sure there are many that find this to be a great place or else it would not be there.

I would never base an opinion on one interaction as we all have bad days so I gave RC the benefit of the doubt and returned. I went in on 3 different occasions and received similar treatment each time. I really felt like I was worth less than spit in the wind when I was there. I have read similar reviews on RC so I perceive this to be a common issue and as such I understand why people are quick to judge negatively. It is a shame really.

Last edited:
Plenty of people, myself included, have had nothing but great experiences with Riders Choice. I've actually been in the shop to catch the 'other side' of some of the complaint threads that have been posted on GTAM in the past... definitely worth a laugh. Some of the bad reviews (not all, I'm sure) were just plain ludicrous.

For this particular thread, my money is going towards those cracks existing before the oil change but OP never actually saw them, since he doesn't do his own oil changes. That, and apparently he only just got the bike (used) a month ago?

I don't know how one can not notice a crack that size. It stands out when you stand 1 meter away from the bike. I detailed my bike throughly after getting it from the dealer. I was aware of any damages or imperfections that were on the bike as before I purchased the bike I did a throughout body inspection (with a light) together with the dealer. As I mentioned before, the only damage that the bike has had prior to my purchase was a scratch on top fairing, not much more than that.

You are entitled to your own opinion if you think I had the crack or not... but Im just telling you how it is.

Regards

That *****. I Just came to inspect the damage closer as some of you asked for pictures of the bottom... I noticed there is deep scratches on the opposite fairing in front and bottom is cracked also but hidden behind hinge .... This is total of 3 plastics damaged !!!! Somebody advise me on what to do.

Need advice ASAP.

This appears to be as some of you mentioned damage from when he was loading the bike onto the lift...

Pictures will follow as soon as I come home.

Last edited:
That really sucks .

Not sure you can do anything unless you can prove he did it. On your side with this one

I think punching this guy out would help you out but may end you up in jail .

No matter how much pain you inflict on somebody for messing around with your stuff, it's never a risk worth taking...
Just learn from your mistakes, pay the price and move one.
OP... Next time learn how to do your own oil change.
My buddy helped me to do it the first time and ever since I've been doing my own.
At least if YOU crack a fairing then you only have yourself to blame...

My 2 cents, a lesson well learned.

Wow. They seem to have roughed up your ride pretty badly. Totally unacceptable. Thanks for the heads up.

WOW .There is no way you would have missed that when you washed your bike .

Looks like someone was being lazy .

RC should really do something for you .

Ok...This is Jeff from Riders choice...I am amazed by all of this and would like to put an end to it..Dear sir and all of your followers...I would like to invite you back with your bike and with witnesses of your own, we can push the bike back on the same lift and show that our lift cannot have done this...or any kind of damage. I have been in the business for over 30 years and would never deny any damage I would have accidentally caused. If I did anything to anyones bike I would have owned up to it and the shop would have covered it. I would also like to add that it is not really a good Idea to publicly threaten anyone...
So, in brief, I would like to also state that we always strive to provide the best and do not ever wish to have this or any other form of media attempt to tarnish my or the shops good standing. I attempted to speak with this gentleman by phone but he has yet to return my call.
In detail, the bikes we work on, about 30 per week have never come close to hitting the fairings on any of our benches or we would replace them. The bike was put on the bench, on a rear stand, lifted and drain plug removed. With the service manager standing beside me I was about to put on the oil filter wrench when I noticed his cracks. I stopped and advised him to call back the customer to have a look. He stated that he just washed his bike and maybe i did this with a wrench, well not my wrench.
Please anyone, come by and see if any bike could be damaged by our lifts. Being accused and found guilty by this forum is amazing.
Jeff

The first picture is not a crack, it's where the fairings join together and they're simply slightly misaligned. The second pic seems to even show some completely unrelated scuffs and scratches on the opposite side, suggesting that the bike may have actually been dropped at some point.

Riders Choice is being strung up for something the owner simply failed to notice before. Or perhaps he did notice it and his intent is malicious.

To the OP: take Jeff up on his offer and bring the bike back to the shop so they can wheel it onto the stand in front of you and prove that it couldn't have damaged your fairings.

Furthermore, there's no way in frickin hell that a filter wrench was gonna crack a stock fairing unless he took a baseball swing at it. If I had that bike I'd gladly demonstrate on my own plastics.

THANKS RIDERS CHOICE Good coverup. Why did you not point out the rest of the damage?? It is obvious this is from rolling the bike onto the lift. I cannot see how one would have hit the header and caused cracks/scratches as shown by hitting a "rock" as you mention, or running something over?. Sure.

WILL NEVER EVER EVER, RECOMMEND YOU TO ANYONE. IN FACT WILL SHARE THIS WITH EVERYONE I KNOW, SO THEY ARE AWARE OF WHAT YOU DID.

You've obviously never been NEAR a motorcycle lift if you think it could in any way cause a ding on your header right behind the front wheel. Not to mention leaving the plastics, which the header is recessed behind, untouched.

It's evident to me now that you're wrong in this complaint and you should go back to Riders Choice so they can prove it to you.

It's evident to me now that you're wrong in this complaint and you should go back to Riders Choice so they can prove it to you.

I had that figured out by page 1.

Kudos to Jeff posting and providing the other side of the story.

:happy1:

I truly believe there are 2 sides to every story, and watch this thread with interest, while biting my tongue.

I attempted to speak with this gentleman by phone but he has yet to return my call.

^^^^ If this is true.....this speaks volumes.

If I was the OP, I would bring my bike back there and see if indeed the lift, caused the damage, and if the wrench could damage the fairings as stated.

Whatever the outcome may be......somebody owes someone a huuuge apology.

Last edited:
You've obviously never been NEAR a motorcycle lift if you think it could in any way cause a ding on your header right behind the front wheel. Not to mention leaving the plastics, which the header is recessed behind, untouched.

Some lifts have ramps to get you up onto them. I have seen some shop lifts with damaged ramps, sticking ramps, ramps that flip up from concussion, and hang long enough to grab under parts of a still forward moving bike. Others, have to use a huge assortment of blocks, levers and adjustable arms, and the rubber pads get slippery over many uses of oil spillage and slips and **** does happen. Whether or not that "****" was at the timing and root of that damage, only the mechanic knows for sure. As does the OP only know if there even was a coincidently-timed "****" by someone in the back shop..

I don't know who to believe in this scene though. Someone is lying though, no doubt. It sure would be despicable if the OP was trying to get comp for previous damage...and equally despicable if RC is guilty and are not owning it.

Ok...This is Jeff from Riders choice...I am amazed by all of this and would like to put an end to it..Dear sir and all of your followers...I would like to invite you back with your bike and with witnesses of your own, we can push the bike back on the same lift and show that our lift cannot have done this...or any kind of damage. I have been in the business for over 30 years and would never deny any damage I would have accidentally caused. If I did anything to anyones bike I would have owned up to it and the shop would have covered it. I would also like to add that it is not really a good Idea to publicly threaten anyone...
So, in brief, I would like to also state that we always strive to provide the best and do not ever wish to have this or any other form of media attempt to tarnish my or the shops good standing. I attempted to speak with this gentleman by phone but he has yet to return my call.
In detail, the bikes we work on, about 30 per week have never come close to hitting the fairings on any of our benches or we would replace them. The bike was put on the bench, on a rear stand, lifted and drain plug removed. With the service manager standing beside me I was about to put on the oil filter wrench when I noticed his cracks. I stopped and advised him to call back the customer to have a look. He stated that he just washed his bike and maybe i did this with a wrench, well not my wrench.
Please anyone, come by and see if any bike could be damaged by our lifts. Being accused and found guilty by this forum is amazing.
Jeff

This isn't a court, its just a credibility contest.

Regardless of whether damage was caused by RC in this case or not, the fact that people are (in your view) quick to find RC "guilty" is an indication of the general reputation of the shop.

The OP might be completely making it all up, but the fact that a lot of people took the "not surprised" reaction says a lot.

This isn't a court, its just a credibility contest.

Regardless of whether damage was caused by RC in this case or not, the fact that people are (in your view) quick to find RC "guilty" is an indication of the general reputation of the shop.

The OP might be completely making it all up, but the fact that a lot of people took the "not surprised" reaction says a lot.

my point exactly!

only the lowest of the low would lie like this. jeff we both know my bike did NOT come into your shop in this condition.

if you think i would accuse anybody of doing something they didnt you obviously dont know me.

i cant say how you guys damaged my bike as i was not inside your shop. only you would know this. and i highly doubt your service managet who drove my bike around into your shop did this.

in any case i am very unhappy having to pay for something that was not caused by me. i learned my lesson, and as others recommended i will do maintenance myself as much as i can.

this thread indeed is over. im tired of all this argument and lies. only God knows who is telling the truth. I will let him do the judging.

thanks to all who believe my side of the story. i really dont wish this experience upon anybody.

Back
Top Bottom