Rider down on the Gardiner near York | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider down on the Gardiner near York

Thx for posting. Any information on tragedies such as these is helpful as it may help to prevent one in the future. I am sorry for your loss.

thank you for the update. Sorry about your loss. I was up on that road last weekend in the car and its very rough. I hope the police are able to tracks other riders down.

RIP.

Hey all,

I'm not a rider but Jason was family and I wanted to share some information - a couple of people have been asking for details and I wanted to share what I do know.

Jay was with 1 other rider on their way back home to pick up a car (just got UFC tix for that night) when 3 other riders came up from behind and one of them cut him off causing this to happen. The police have said witnesses came forward (plus cameras) and this is what they have told us was the cause. Who knows if the roads were also a factor, I've been on that stretch of the Gardiner a thousand times and in my car I hate it but it is impossible to say. Jason was an incredible person who deeply loved life. He touched so many people and had friends that were far reaching. Jason's funeral had over 500 people and I know a couple of his rider friends (including the one that was with him that night) have given up riding and are selling their bikes. His family is devasted by his loss and are trying to figure out how to cope. This has been by far the worst month of my life.

All I can ask is that everyone rides safe and takes the extra time to be safe. There is no need to hurry or to go 140 weaving in and out of traffic.

Peace - ride safe

I hope the rider(s) responsible step forward and man-up. RIP Jason.

Such a tragic thing. To be taken out by another rider no less. The odds are against us enough as it is without having to worry about other riders being idiots. RIP and my thoughts are with the family and friends.

Hey all,

I'm not a rider but Jason was family and I wanted to share some information - a couple of people have been asking for details and I wanted to share what I do know.

Jay was with 1 other rider on their way back home to pick up a car (just got UFC tix for that night) when 3 other riders came up from behind and one of them cut him off causing this to happen. The police have said witnesses came forward (plus cameras) and this is what they have told us was the cause. Who knows if the roads were also a factor, I've been on that stretch of the Gardiner a thousand times and in my car I hate it but it is impossible to say. Jason was an incredible person who deeply loved life. He touched so many people and had friends that were far reaching. Jason's funeral had over 500 people and I know a couple of his rider friends (including the one that was with him that night) have given up riding and are selling their bikes. His family is devasted by his loss and are trying to figure out how to cope. This has been by far the worst month of my life.

All I can ask is that everyone rides safe and takes the extra time to be safe.

Peace - ride safe

So sorry for your loss. Thank-you so much for taking the time to join and update us on what happened.

On behalf of Shaun de Jager of RoadAwareness.org, please could a family member contact him at shaun@roadawareness.org. He is doing a piece for Global News. He would really appreciate their personal input. Thanks.

On behalf of Shaun de Jager of RoadAwareness.org, please could a family member contact him at shaun@roadawareness.org. He is doing a piece for Global News. He would really appreciate their personal input. Thanks.

Shaun is a safety activist and a standup guy. Whatever he does is done tactfully and with full sense of decorum.

tragic...and upsetting.

i hope those responsible step forward.

Condolences to family and friends. I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP Jay.

i wasn't there to see exact conditions of what went down, but this reminds me of times when i have found myself caught up in a moment of the good life and a little egomania. luckily for me, i lived to realize it. if you have too, the question is "what will you do with the lesson?".

Last edited:
they must know by now.

I've been along that stretch of the Gardiner a lot lately. After the accident I had a good look and it was in terrible shape with some pretty big holes, big enough to stop a bikes front wheel and launch the rider. More recently I've noticed some extensive patching has been done there. Terrible tragedy. RIP rider.

I've been along that stretch of the Gardiner a lot lately. After the accident I had a good look and it was in terrible shape with some pretty big holes, big enough to stop a bikes front wheel and launch the rider. More recently I've noticed some extensive patching has been done there. Terrible tragedy. RIP rider.

Yea they fixed most of it a week before the Ride for Heart. Some of it is still kind of rough in the middle lane.

Back
Top Bottom