Ride Report: Yours to Discover to BC | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride Report: Yours to Discover to BC

I do still have a set of side racks to keep the soft luggage in place, they're from Adventure Spec and made for the T7. I used the luggage without them for a while, I just found it would rub on the panels. Adventure Spec make a rack that doesn't go too far out, only drawback is the rear grab handles make it near impossible to carry a passenger now.

DSCF2357.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome thanks. The V-Strom has racks made by Givi for the hard cases which integrate into the existing grab rails and will offer the same type of support for the soft bags like you have on your bike. I wouldn't use the soft bags without some kind of support to keep them in place.

I see you have the small spare fuel bottle tucked away there too. That's a nice spot for it. Is that camping fuel specific or your spare fuel for the bike? I have a never used Wolfman bottle holder bag too and have never brought extra bike fuel with me before, but sometimes 1L of fuel makes all the difference.

Awesome thanks. The V-Strom has racks made by Givi for the hard cases which integrate into the existing grab rails and will offer the same type of support for the soft bags like you have on your bike. I wouldn't use the soft bags without some kind of support to keep them in place.

I see you have the small spare fuel bottle tucked away there too. That's a nice spot for it. Is that camping fuel specific or your spare fuel for the bike? I have a never used Wolfman bottle holder bag too and have never brought extra bike fuel with me before, but sometimes 1L of fuel makes all the difference.

Sounds like you have everything ready to give it a try!

Yeh, I keep 2 spare fuel bottles in total, one on each side. They are both in Enduristan fuel holsters, same thing as the Wolfman one. It's just fuel for the bike. Gives about 2.5-3L of fuel, the Primus 1.5L bottles work well. It's good peace of mind to keep around, at best it maybe enough to get to someone's house, or stop worrying about running out before a gas station. I've used it to light campfires which help too. It could even help other riders stranded on the road. I find it less obtrusive than the Rotopax can. If you already have the holder, its easy to attach it anywhere.

I keep a bunch of this around, and it's very useful for strapping such things securely

Day 11: Valemont to Calgary
Pretty simple ride today, straight from Valemount toward Jasper, then the Icefields Parkway all the way to Calgary. I've done the Icefield parkway route a few times, once in Winter and also Fall, I'll add pictures from those trips below the report to fill in.

Mt. Robson on the way to Jasper. Pretty chilly morning and day in general...
DSCF3089.jpg

I stopped in Jasper to grab a bite to eat and something for the road, eneded up going to some Waffle place which wasn't satisfying or even half decent. So stopped by Coco's Cafe to grab a bagel, sandwich and cookie to go as there isn't much along the parkway up until Banff, it was delicious! Great place.
IMG-5148.jpg

The rest of the images are all just places along the route, the road itself is not technical or challenging, the views and landscape more than make up for it. It's worth taking a day just to do it for the stops, breaks, and chances to smell some of those wild roses.

Moraine lake is one place along the route i'd never been, it wasn't busy nor was it at the best time, however the road to get there is awesome, highly recommend it!

In Banff, outside the Fairmount there is a nice chill spot at Bow Falls, It's usually pretty quiet and a nice place to contemplate the end of the route. This is how it looked now...

and this is how it can look in the winter, it was close tp -30c that day

Some bonus images from past trips along the parkway.
The Banff Gondola is a must do, you can either hike up and get a free ride down, or take the gandola both ways. Doing it at sunset is great, if it's a clear night you can see Banff, then feel like a spec of stardust among the milky-way and gigantic rockeis at night.

I think this was outside somewhere near the Lake Louise cabins, there is a smaller lake behind with these trees fallen into it, other than the crystal clear blue water, it's like they are in another dimension.

Peyto Lake, I think this is closed till November this year for rehabilitation.

Athabasca glacier along the parkway in the Fall, alongside some other views.

There is a Gandola in Jasper as-well, its a bit older and more cramped, I preferred the one in Banff, however this one has great views too.

Athabasca Falls along the route.

Last edited:
The bike of choice is a Yamaha T7, with a set of new 50/50 Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires, the plan was to do some gravel roads along the way and then some FSRs out west.

great thread, thanks for sharing

hate to high-jack it like this, but I like the looks of those tires
pleasantly surprised they are available for full size ADV, 170 rears and 120 19 inch fronts

where did you buy them? pricing I'm seeing is pretty high
and you obviously have some miles on them now
how are they on pavement?
and in the rain?
not much on the 'net for reviews to read yet

thanks

great thread, thanks for sharing

hate to high-jack it like this, but I like the looks of those tires
pleasantly surprised they are available for full size ADV, 170 rears and 120 19 inch fronts

where did you buy them? pricing I'm seeing is pretty high
and you obviously have some miles on them now
how are they on pavement?
and in the rain?
not much on the 'net for reviews to read yet

thanks

They are 50/50 tires and available in lots of sizes, Dunlop's trying to go head to head with TKC 80s.

I got them from Petes superbike, they were on sale, however stock has been an issue for a while all over, not sure why as they are made in USA. I had to get a 140 size for the rear vs a 150 due to stock. I have over 14k km's on them now, they aren't even 50% worn, the front seems more worn than the rear. They feel like an 80/20 tire on the street, smooth and no issues, only when cornering there is a bit of buzz from the side lugs. No problem in the rain, just in the cold they do get quite stiff, one of the few tires with fibreglass in them I believe. They are very very stiff in terms of mounting, I had to get a shop to put them on and no way would I be able to take them off on the trail, so running tubeless.

In mud, they are meh, though only pure off-roaders work well there anyway.

They are a few youtube videos by Chaparal motorsport on them which are spot on

Reactions: J_F
Day 12-14: Calgary

I stayed at my sisters place for a few more days and got some time to do an oil change and clean the bike. I was supposed to hit the road in a day, however bad weather in the prairie's and high wind gusts recorded at over 50kp/h lead me to just wait things out and chill.

On one of the days, after lunch I decided to do a short day trip up to Kananaskis, then take Hwy 40 south as far down Hwy 940/Range Rd 51A which were all gravel. I would take them as far as time permitted and then just do a u-turn and head back home. This was taken at Barrier Lake, there are lots and lots of stop/rest areas on the way.

It was a very windy day which got annoying after a while as it was gusts all over the place, I'd reach a nice view then get hit by a gust and pushed left or right, ugh. Other than that, I love this road, more than the Icefield parkway actually.

Watch out for wildlife on this road, lots of it, from cows to goats.

Hwy 40 turns into Hwy 940 at some point, this route is closed from December to May, great road, scenic, and not much traffic.
DSCF3281.jpg

After a few kms, it was getting a bit late and I needed to head back and start packing to leave in the morning. The views on the way back were just as good, too bad the wind was even worse. I was a little sad knowing this was the last time i'd see the rockies for a while and would be hitting the prairies tomorrow.

Some rest areas and viewpoints were closed due to bears, never seen this before.

No surprise this road is closed in the winter, a lot of these Mountains are right next to the road, and just from their scale and valleys I can't imagine the force of Avalanches in this area.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those pics of the Kananaskis - I had planned to ride that on my way home, but skipped it due to the smoke. It looks really beautiful!

I read about that nice gravel road - the range road south off the 40 all the way down to Coleman if you wanted to.Glad you got to hit that up!

No problem, it was a great road and I'm sure you'd love it and get to it someday. Its a lot less travelled than the Icefields Parkway, I also saw lots more bikes and locals, the area is packed with hiking trails too. I found the mountains to be more dramatic as-well, more cliffs and closer to the road, with every turn giving a different view. It felt like I was in a Lord of the Rings movie or something

Thats awesome! Did you go there?
Yea couple years ago we spent 3 weeks and did a bunch of things while looking for my old friend Bilbo.

But back to BC - I’ve read that over the years there are many really good trails that behave been slowly disappearing and often times riders will head down a trail only to find locked gates blocking the entire path.
Regardless, on a bike like yours with the tires you are running, there is so much exploring you can do, which is far more interesting than the paved only stuff.

Day 15: Calgary to Regina

The next 2 days were just about getting through the prairies and hoping the wind wasn't too bad. No fancy roads, just the Trans Canada all the way to Regina.

I stopped in Medicine Hat for some grub, I stopped at Zucchini Blossom Market & Cafe. great place and service, finding Vegan options on the trips hasn't been an issue and it forces one to seek local shops that can whip something up without a strict menu in a pinch. As I sat on the patio another red/white T7 rode right by, thats only the 3rd T7 I've seen on the trip.

I didn't take too many pictures, the views are pretty much the same all around.

The sunset was a great little surprise. If anyone's interested in my Camera setup, I carry around a small Fujifilm XT-100 with a 15-45mm lens, and mini flexible tripod. I'll either use a timer, or the Fujifilm app to take shots with me and the bike. The flexiable tripod is key, I actually lost one at the start of the trip so got it in Calgary again.

I stayed at the Sleep Inn in Regina. Although the room and area was very clean and priced well, the customer service rep at the desk wasn't that great.

Day 16: Regina to Kenora

I didn't take many pictures on this day, actually close to none, I just wanted to get to Ontario and outta here, everything was the same as the images in the report on the way to Calgary anyway. I took the Trans Canada the whole way again. I did stop in Winnipeg for lunch, once again at the Verde Juicebar, love this place. I met an AfricaTwin rider outside and we spoke for a while about bikes and what not, great guy and awesome bike.

I ended up reaching Kenora after sunset, close to 9pm, I stayed at Anicinabe Park. Although it was crowded with RVs, everyone was quiet and the facilities were very clean, everyone was friendly and it was a lovely night, felt good to be back in the tent.

Last edited:
Day 17: Kenora to Wawa

I had to be home by Monday, mainly because it showed thunderstorms on that day and a few days after, as-well as needing to be at work, so I had to cover some ground. It would have been nice to take inside roads, though I just stuck to the Trans Canada all the way to Wawa. In hindsight, this day turned out to be a little crazy...

I woke up to a couple of Bambi's right outside the tent, which was nice for me, not so much for all the dogs around the RVs in the area. After packing up an leaving, just before hitting town a few more deer darted out onto the road, now I was definitely awake.

At vermillion bay for a quick fuel stop.

On the way to BC I had passed this sheepskin shop, however it was closed. This time it was open and I decided to have a look. Throughout this whole trip I met bikers who kept telling me sheepskin was the answer to comfortable long days in the saddle. I'm a not a fan of animal products, though this place was as humane as I'd like to believe, the store rep explained how the sheep live in vast open fields and prance around the New Zealand mountains living better lives than most people.

The T7 doesn't have any comfort seat options on the market atm, seat concepts is working on something, so I figured let me try this out for now. They had a sheepskin that fit the T7 like a glove and was made for motorcycles, it was black too, so inconspicuous. tbh, I don't really mind the stock seat, I've done 1,200km days on the bikes and its bearable to some degree, i just thought this would be like sitting on a cloud, I was wrong.

I had some lunch at a local restaurant, nothing great, just some fries. I got a little ambitious and booked a place in Wawa, i was still 6.5hrs away, and it was already around 2.30pm, which meant reaching at 10pm, and that was without breaks. So I didn't stop to take any pictures, however, things got interesting...

I really regret not recording or taking pictures of this incident. Things got dark really quick, and very cold, close to 6-8c, and I was beating myself for riding out here at night and not just booking a closer place. The road was pitch dark, I was about 30min away from Wawa and frozen, all I kept seeing is Night danger signs for Moose, hitting those things is pretty common out here. At one point I pulled over to wait for a car to pass so I wasn't riding solo, its dead quiet, pitch black, a few mins later a car passes me. I get on the throttle and catch up 1min later, all I see is smoke and the car quickly pulls over.

Keep in mind the roads were all under construction, so some areas weren't perfect. I pull over in-front of the vehicle, and ask what happened, she points at the rear wheel and its completely blown to bits. She either hit a rut or something, and it could have been me if I didn't pull over and wait before hand. Anyway, I get off the bike and decide to help, its close to 11pm now in the middle of nowhere northern Ontario. They were 3 teenagers in the car on their way to Wawa. The tire cannot be plugged, it's shredded. So we get the spare wheel out, it was useless, full of rust, and the tire wasn't even sitting on the bead let alone have any air. I did try with my motopumps compressor to air it up, obviously that didn't work.

So, now stranded. I realized I had CAA and figure a tow can help them, I call CAA and turns out my membership expired a month ago and wasn't on auto-renew, oh no. Now i'm clueless, one of the boys said he has a friend he can call who can get a tow, after he calls I make sure its coming and they are okay, then decide to leave as its almost midnight, close to freezing, and the tow could be hours away. I get on the bike, and a few km's down a Dodge pickup passes me doing well over 150kp/h, in pitch darkness out here, in wildlife area, I'm like dude is crazy! I don't know what the odds are, though moments later I see lights flashing and he/she got pulled over...

I reached Wawa, stop by a timmies before getting to the motel, and this is the only picture I took sadly. It was midnight at this point.

I stayed at the Outdoorsman Motel, and really reccommend this place. Its newly renovated and the owners were very nice. The place closes at 10pm, however they left the room key outside the main office for me knowing I'd reach late, I got in, had a hot shower and then passed out.

Last edited:
Yea couple years ago we spent 3 weeks and did a bunch of things while looking for my old friend Bilbo.

But back to BC - I’ve read that over the years there are many really good trails that behave been slowly disappearing and often times riders will head down a trail only to find locked gates blocking the entire path.
Regardless, on a bike like yours with the tires you are running, there is so much exploring you can do, which is far more interesting than the paved only stuff.
Sounds like an awesome trip, my last co-worker did a 3 week backcountry trip out there last year and it's all she talked about for months.

That's very true, I did find a lot of trails gated, esp on or near Hwy 40. In the future, it maybe best to make somre friends on ADVrider who live in the areas and do the routes with locals on similar sized bikes as they know the in's and outs. Some of the FSRs were also active with lots of steep hills and blind corners, i'm not sure if logging trucks expect a motorcycle to be coming up so that was my other concern

Day 18: Wawa to Mississauga, aka Home

Last day of the trip, I knew it would be a long day, I took plenty of breaks to take in the last few views of the trip. I was okay reaching home late as I could avoid the 400 series traffic and be within city limits at nightfall.

Chilly morning to start, packed and ready to go.

First stop somewhere near Lake Superior. It was a very windy day, all the way past Sudbury.

I didn't realize how beautiful Lake Superior was in some places, i thought I was in the tropics, clear water, clean sandy beaches, green foliage all around, the sound of the waves, and sunshine. This was one of the areas the Group of Seven frequented.

One more break and last view of Lake Superior along the way after having some lunch at a nearby chip truck.

From there, it was all the way home. I did take some side roads like River Rd before Sudbury which were nice. There was one side road I took which lead to this Sand place, it was a really great twisty ride, I completely forgot to mark it on the map, so I'll come back to this If I find out where it was.

Final gas stop of the trip, I believe the 40th fill up. it was getting dark at this point and I was just north of Barrie. I ended up reaching home at midnight, I didn't realize how crowded the city actually was.

Thank you all for reading the report, and for staying patient. Ride & stay Safe :)

Last edited:
Great report - thanks for taking the time to post it!

It sure can feel a little strange coming back to the bright lights and traffic of the GTA.

It took me a full week to get my head back into work.

No problem, yours inspired me to start a report, I still have pics and all from last years Virginia trip. Maybe in the winter to pass time ill post that up

It was strange, seeing traffic and the on route jam packed at 11.30pm was crazy, took me a few days to adjust. I don't see myself living in city limits much longer

Back
Top Bottom