RC - Radio Controlled Hobbyshop | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RC - Radio Controlled Hobbyshop

@mimico_polak we started with Lego/Duplo around 3. They have simple RC toys for kids that age but what I found is that they did not keep my kids attention. Around 5 is when the TERRIBLE RC cars / Trucks / Robots started showing up as gifts. I would recommend getting something with big tires that goes slow but is fun. Having a rechargeable battery is a bonus otherwise hit amazon for batteries. It'll have to be able to take a lot of abuse (drop, step on, crashes) otherwise it'll last a few hours and endup in the bin.

I've gone through a few <50 drones with my now 8 year old. As much easier as they are to fly now, they are still difficult to fly unless he (and you of course) are willing the put the time in together. I have a little helicopter still in a box (as a gift) that he wants me to take out. I know it'll last about 25 seconds before it can't fly anymore.

Hope this helps.
That's very helpful thanks! I love LEGO personally, and my son and I enjoy building things with his big block (towers especially) but I haven't picked up a DUPLO set yet. Think I'll do that this rotation when I get home.

As for the cheaper drones I think he's way too young for it, but will look into some cheap RC for him in the coming months/year to see how he reacts. Mind you I may be thinking he's more advanced/mature than he is at this stage! The good RC stuff will be for me....I mean him when he's older.

I had a Kyosho Optima growing up. Still had it 30yrs later and found it recently when moving. Popped it on kijiji and it went same day. Apparently these things are collectible.
There's also a RC flying club in a field at the north end of Northumberland forest if you happen to be riding in there.

I had a Kyosho Optima growing up. Still had it 30yrs later and found it recently when moving. Popped it on kijiji and it went same day. Apparently these things are collectible.
There's also a RC flying club in a field at the north end of Northumberland forest if you happen to be riding in there.
Beagle club road and bowmanton, se corner for those interested.

Here's my old coworkers Arrow.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As cool as the big models are, in the air, they all look small. I think the guys flying the big stuff are nuts, their costs went up exponentially. I am happy they exist though as I like to admire their work.

Fun hobby I'm sure. I've looked into it on and off but not even sure where to start! Since my little guy is turning 3 soon I'd like to start getting him interested in this stuff. Any recommendations? I'm thinking electric cars/trucks is a good start point. Maybe he's too young?

A bit off topic, but if you're looking for a hobby where the young boy can be actively involved, take a look at model rockets. Way cheaper than RC. Buy them ready to fly, or in kits requiring various levels of skill. They're really little more than cardboard tubes and plastic or balsa fins. Assemble with white glue. Put the rocket on the launch pad, do a count down, have the boy press the button. Watch the rocket climb hundreds of feet, then return to via parachute. Throw the used motor away, install a new one, re-pack the 'chute, fly again. Tons of fun. The Estes Alpha 3 is a hugely popular choice for first time rocketeers. You can be flying with everything you need for about $75. You'll need a large field, of course.

estes-alpha-iii.jpg

estes-alpha-3-rocket-kit-review.jpg

scra-06-25-11-05-estes-maxi-alpha-3-climbs-against-a-blue-sky-jpg.51605

Or I'll make you a sweet deal on all my electric RC heli stuff.

I used to race an rc10 at a small indoor track on the outskirts of Brantford. Lots of fun.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

A bit off topic, but if you're looking for a hobby where the young boy can be actively involved, take a look at model rockets. Way cheaper than RC. Buy them ready to fly, or in kits requiring various levels of skill. They're really little more than cardboard tubes and plastic or balsa fins. Assemble with white glue. Put the rocket on the launch pad, do a count down, have the boy press the button. Watch the rocket climb hundreds of feet, then return to via parachute. Throw the used motor away, install a new one, re-pack the 'chute, fly again. Tons of fun. The Estes Alpha 3 is a hugely popular choice for first time rocketeers. You can be flying with everything you need for about $75. You'll need a large field, of course.

estes-alpha-iii.jpg

estes-alpha-3-rocket-kit-review.jpg

scra-06-25-11-05-estes-maxi-alpha-3-climbs-against-a-blue-sky-jpg.51605

Or I'll make you a sweet deal on all my electric RC heli stuff.
I totally forgot rocketry! I’ll look into it.
What kind of heli you got??

I totally forgot rocketry! I’ll look into it.
What kind of heli you got??

Align T-Rex 450 clone, all the radio gear, and more spare parts than all the hobby shops in the GTA combined.

Thank you for that, I have a bunch of old school RC bikes that I might be able to run now, my favourite is my kyosho nitro bike, and easiest to use has been the venom VMX450

And drones are becoming about as easy to use as a Segway (again due to idiots that can't help themselves from doing incredibly stupid things). A social media influencer filmed himself from his drone that he then flew over the crowd at the raptors celebration. TC should make an example of him and hit him with everything they have. A drone falling 30+ storeys onto people with no place to hide would not be pretty. If he had an issue, there was pretty much a 100% chance of injury. I wouldn't be surprised if the next round of regulations only allows drones on specific fields (like RC plane regs).
Well, knob got fined but IMO it was an order of magnitude low. Guilty of flight within 30m of a person, flight within 3 miles of an airport, no license and unregistered drone. $2750 fine. Basically he broke every rule in the book and the fine is almost pocket change. Since he posted the video to try to get more subscribers, I think they could have also hit him with unlicensed drone and operator for commercial use. Now every YouTube idiot and vlogger will feel free to do whatever they want as the fines dont matter.

Drone pilot fined almost $3K for flying device over Raptors parade

Back
Top Bottom