Ram X grip JUNK .... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ram X grip JUNK ....

Jeepsandbikes

So i got a new phone and needed a new mount , my old mount was one that i had with my old lifeproof case .for my new seido case i thought i would get something a little more utility that could hold anything that i wanted to throw at it . So the Ram X grip i thought would be a great choice .
brought it home all excited ( cause hey its a new toy and im a big freakin kid)
put the ball on it and attached it to my ram mount i already had . I throw my phone on it and .... WTF ... what kind of **** design is this .. yea it holds it tight , but the damn thing swivels back and forth , and im not talking about the ball .. what a **** design . I even contacted ram and they know of this problem and have nothing to fix it but suggest sticking a piece of cardboard on it ... SERIOUSLY ..
I like the ram mount , its been great with my lifeproof holster , but for them to sell this piece of **** and know its a faulty design .. very disappointing . The only thing i can think of is to glue a piece of rubber on the back to prevent it from sliding . . here is a short vid of it .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1po9s79bp...108_184641.mp4

Any suggestions on this ? Im just bloody annoyed with ram right now ..
suggesting Cardboard ... agh

I have the same one. Holds fine but rotates. Total crap. I've don't have a permanent solution yet myself, but I haven't had much time to tinker with it.

It should have been designed with a locking mechanism.

Try it before you knock it.

There's enough tension that it doesn't move due to vibration or bumps. It only swivels if you move it.

I've been using one on my bike for months now and it has been extremely sturdy. I've never had a problem with it moving.

that one wont fit my phone . Im going to try it first and see how it makes out . i am going to put some rubber on the face of it and someone else recommended putting an elastic band around the arms which seems like a good idea too . the fact that they said to use cardboard still makes me shake my head ...

That is exactly why I do not recommend that one, never looked stable to me. This is what I have used for over 20,000kms:

https://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-plastic-universal-finger-grip-clamping-cradle.html

0 issues with it and it holds my GPS perfect, holds my phone fine too.

Have you actually run it on your bike? It's quite likely that it won't move on its own because there are no forces that would cause it to. Seems to me you'd have to have a very tall device sticking up high out of the cradle for it to start rotating.

i have not run it yet , but it swivels very easily . i ride dual sport , so its not like im just on a smooth road . I have an S4 with a Seidio obex case so it is a little bigger ..

that one wont fit my phone . Im going to try it first and see how it makes out . i am going to put some rubber on the face of it and someone else recommended putting an elastic band around the arms which seems like a good idea too . the fact that they said to use cardboard still makes me shake my head ...

There is no way this would not fit your phone. It fits a Sharp SH-02E with 0 issue using the small 'fingers' and adjusted for my 3.5" gps. You can easily adjust it to fit your S4 without issue. It comes with 3 different sizes of the 'fingers'.

I've had my x-grip on my bike for 20,000km+ and my phone on there the entire time, no issues, doesn't even rotate unless I make it rotate. They sell other mounts that hold your phone tight, but hey guess what its more complicated to remove the phone from them. It takes seconds and I can put my phone in one handed with this, its second nature now like tossing it down on a table.

To me the way you have it looks way too vertical, put it more horizontal the vibration your phone will fall out of a mount like this if it is straight up and down. Then there will be another video of you and a smashed phone and you'd be super ****** off/sad. It does seem silly why did they not maybe put a rubber back on that mount. I would suggest getting say a rubber tire patch 2" or so and sticking it on the mount, maybe some other rubber then when your phone is on there it won't be so apt to rotate.

I have the same Ram X grip with the Ram Fork Stem Base. It does not rotate while riding but I do wish there was a way to lock it from rotating that tiny bit. I did think about putting a piece of electrical tape as a barrier to stop the slight rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jeepsandbikes, did you ever actually try riding with it? Did you have trouble with it swivelling?

I have had the x-mount for awhile now without problems. I have my iPhone mounted horizontally and have adjusted the mount so the t phone when horizontal will only move up. Other than me moving the phone once it is where I want it (takes3 secs) it has nevered moved while riding.

My friend has a Samsung Note mounted in his X grip and has had no problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom