R1 and GSXR Crash - Good example of how not to ride on the street. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

R1 and GSXR Crash - Good example of how not to ride on the street.

Motorcyclists need to get this mentality out of their heads....when you're out on the road..it doesn't matter who has the right of way or who is right or wrong.... You're going to lose every time against a car. "Right of way" is not some magic shield against dumb drivers.

Wish I could like this comment/post -- Yes the car was wrong, but in the end the bike & rider always lose in an accident. What good does it be to be 'in the right', but sitting in a wheelchair the rest of your life (if you live).

Also as a side-note, this is the same mentality I feel a lot of pedestrians have to us & drivers on the road -- Since they have the right-away, they can step in front of an object moving 60+ km/h weighing more than they do because 'if they get hit they'll sue' (vs being road pizza). Common sense people...common sense.

Last edited:
Motorcyclists need to get this mentality out of their heads....when you're out on the road..it doesn't matter who has the right of way or who is right or wrong.... You're going to lose every time against a car. "Right of way" is not some magic shield against dumb drivers.

+1.

I blame the red mohawk...

comments are disabled...poster probably knows they would be flamed for how they were riding. They aren't going quite at hooligan speeds though. I could see myself riding at that speeds on a similar road. Could've been avoided if they were going at the speed limit, but that would be as fun as watching paint dry. Car's at fault but you always gotta keep in the back of your mind there's all sorts of retarded drivers out there.

Last edited:
gixxer dude obviously fixated, you can see by how much his head turns to watch his buddy smash in to the car...

gixxer dude obviously fixated, you can see by how much his head turns to watch his buddy smash in to the car...

ya well its kinda hard not to in a situation like that

the white car was at fault, but so were they. you dont do 3 times the legal speed limit, people aren't expecting it

Yup, if they were going the speed limit or only 10 over the car would have made it through fine and the bikes wouldn't be trashed.

The R1 rider could have easily avoided it if he didn't target fixate on the car though... In fact they both could have easily avoided it if they scanned the road ahead, but yeah, the speeding thing also.

Agree with everyone saying this is a 50/50. Riders were speeding what looked like well in excess of the limit, car driver is a bleeding idiot for not making the turn at an appropriate speed.

That said, I can't blame the driver for not seeing speeding bikes on a wide open highway.

Agree with everyone saying this is a 50/50. Riders were speeding what looked like well in excess of the limit, car driver is a bleeding idiot for not making the turn at an appropriate speed.

That said, I can't blame the driver for not seeing speeding bikes on a wide open highway.

Overcast day, two white bikes travelling at high speed, coming up over a brow of a corner. **** happens, driver probably didn't see them until the last second, and froze while turning. Have to always ride the streets with your spider senses turned all the way up to 100%.

I don't think the driver saw the bikes coming around the curve and pulled out way too slowly thinking nobody was coming. He was already moving out before they were visible. The guy on the left would have been able to easily swerve around the car if he wasn't speeding. If he didn't target fixate he might have even made it around at that speed. The guy on the right was screwed and shouldn't have been so close to his buddy. That's why you leave a gap between riders on curves!

I don't get it. They were speeding but the car made an illegal left turn; the car was 100% at fault yet people are blaming the riders.

I don't get it. They were speeding but the car made an illegal left turn; the car was 100% at fault yet people are blaming the riders.

Not really blaming the riders per say but they were riding like tools.

Not really blaming the riders per say but they were riding like tools.

The same can be said for like 50% of the people registered on the forum who think the street is a good place to ride as if they're on a track. What can you do about it though, the same can be said for people driving cars.

LOOK HOW SLOW the damn Merc is going, it even looks as if the stupid cager slows down to a near stop in the middle of the road. Ugh, what an indecisive pansy.

As for the riders, that's just the risk you take when you speed. First guy was lucky enough to get tossed instead of crushed, the sheer force of impact actually spun the car a bit, that's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

"Too fast for conditions"

It doesn't matter who had the right of way, when you're the one who's dead or seriously injured.

The MOMENT there is traffic around - and there was plenty of traffic visible, they blew past a few - and the MOMENT there is an intersection with possible cross traffic (and this was also visible from far, far away) then the appropriate speed is NO MORE than the prevailing traffic speed. The moment there is visible cross traffic then the appropriate speed is a little LESS than that.

In Ontario, there have been quite a number of cases where riders/drivers have been found at fault despite another vehicle having violated their right of way, on the grounds that they were going excessively fast. The infamous Manchester case, that led to the knee-jerk "street racing" legislation, was one such example. Car turned left in front of a supposedly "street racing" Civic. The fact that the car had turned left in front of that Civic was downplayed. (The fact that the driver of that left-turning vehicle was drunk, was kept out of the media for months, if not years, afterward.)

You don't have to like this situation. I sure don't. I think it's completely wrong and arse-backwards ... if someone violates another vehicle's right of way, then the right-of-way-violator should be 100% at fault regardless of any other extenuating factors ... but that's not the way it is.

Legally - There is something in the fault-determination rules that if you are more than 15 km/h above the speed limit then you can be found partially at fault for the collision.

I should add that I've hit a car that turned left in front of me. But, leading up to the collision, I was very close to the posted 35 mph (happened in Tennessee) speed limit. When the car turned left, I locked up the front wheel and hit the car with the front wheel locked and the rear wheel in the air, in the process of low-siding. But my only injury was a sore wrist. And I still have the bike that was involved in that collision.

if you're doing 180km/h in a 60 zone the car pulling out looks left, right and proceeds as they see the road is clear. 2 seconds later rossi and stoner appear out of nowhere hauling ***. do you understand now?

public roads aren't race tracks, you share the road with people who are barely capable of driving

The riders were clearly speeding, but the Merc driver should have seen them.

It started pulling in front of the riders when they were less than 100 meters from the car - well within viewing distance. Given the intersection style, the driver only needs to check a single direction of traffic - the one they're coming from.

The riders did somewhat try and avoid the car - but they likely initially thought that the car wouldn't pull in front of them, or would only slowly roll to go behind them. The riders did start to move to the right to try and go in front of the car, but the driver kept going and hit them.

My quick notes:
1. Driver turning left is always at fault, regardless of oncoming traffic speed.
2. Riders are going beyond the speed limit, but I wouldn't say they were going crazy fast.
3. Driver pulls into oncoming traffic while bikes are ~100m away
4. Bikes try and swerve, thinking the driver will stop, but they don't.

I don't know if people realize what sort of vision standards there are for people driving. It's a Merc, so I'm going to make the assumption that they're old. There are no standards for testing vision in drivers after they have their full G license, until they are 85 (?). If they don't go for regular eye exams, or wear their glasses like they should, their vision could be frighteningly low. They were quite possibly looking at the bikes and didn't see them. Really, I believe if the driver were paying attention, they wouldn't have pulled out in traffic - it was a wide open view.

Back
Top Bottom