Pride | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pride

bitzz

Anyone go to the pride parades? Have fun? How's the sunburn?

In case you didn't know (I didn't) Pride parades are on the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots of NY in 1969, basically the start of gay rights in the US.
I always thought it was weird how the pride parades were WAY OVER THE TOP... till someone compared pride parades to Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras was a day off for slaves so they got all dressed up to make fun of their masters... like WAY OVER THE TOP dressed up... and on their ONE and only day off a year was dedicated to parading around and flipping off their masters.
I like that. I respect that.
Well, the gays had to hide their gayness. A lot of places being "gay" was illegal and could and would be prosecuted... yeah here too. Halloween was popular with cross dressers cuz it was the only day of the year you be in drag and not get arrested for impersonation.
So today, on the anniversary of the Stonewall riots, the gays get to have a parade and get to dress up, sometimes WAY OVER THE TOP, act EXTRA gay and flip off their oppressors.
I like that. I respect that.

Was downtown to take the kids to Harry Potter....we all got to see some things we haven't seen before! And nobody was worse for it other than sore feet from all the walking we did.

Great post, but you might want to brush up on your terminology. I hope you don't engage with the LGBTQ community using the word "gayness".

People in general deserve respect no matter their choice of sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, skin colour, or beliefs.
It's great to see a protest evolve into a movement which helped lift up a community.

... hopefully NOW you can give them some history on WTF they were looking at....
Explaining "pride" to kids ain't easy.
I really don't understand how explaining it is not easy????

We went, we had a great time. Where we were there were no barriers along the street which actually opened up the party, on the news they mentioned that someone screwed up and the barriers were not installed along the route this year.

I remember going once many many years ago. Good party. Will never go again.

Too crowded, too hot, and too many people.

I prefer small crowds.
If you do ever go again, what we do to avoid the largest crowds... for any Yonge St event....

Get a spot between Bloor and Wellesley, the crowds are a bit thinner hear, maybe four deep, crowds are thinnest between subway stations so other locations also work. We ended up near Isabella this time, arrived at 1:40 and got front row. Get off at Bay Station, walk down Bay and then over.

If you do ever go again, what we do to avoid the largest crowds... for any Yonge St event....

Get a spot between Bloor and Wellesley, the crowds are a bit thinner hear, maybe four deep, crowds are thinnest between subway stations so other locations also work. We ended up near Isabella this time, arrived at 1:40 and got front row. Get off at Bay Station, walk down Bay and then over.
Nice good tip! We've also gone off the main event at times and hung out on Church instead of Yonge for the main parade. Much better vibe.

The kids went to the ROM with their grandparents on saturday. Anti-vax parade on Bloor was more disruptive with worse language than pride (although some of the pride "costumes" were a bit much, cover your penis folks). Overall a good experience and it was great for kids to see more variety in life. Barrie is too damned white.

The kids went to the ROM with their grandparents on saturday. Anti-vax parade on Bloor was more disruptive with worse language than pride (although some of the pride "costumes" were a bit much, cover your penis folks). Overall a good experience and it was great for kids to see more variety in life. Barrie is too damned white.

That's the issue a lot of people have and stops them going. If they made it a fun day out for the family they'd get a lot more support, but parading around with your tits and shlong out while kids are around is just inappropriate and uncalled for. Maybe make it pg rated during the day and then do your X rated crap at night... the organizers need to step up imo.

That's the issue a lot of people have and stops them going. If they made it a fun day out for the family they'd get a lot more support, but parading around with your tits and shlong out while kids are around is just inappropriate and uncalled for. Maybe make it pg rated during the day and then do your X rated crap at night... the organizers need to step up imo.
Tits out is legal. Not really a lot of room to change that. They are already fighting back against oppression, trying to convince them to do more than is legally required seems unwise. Bottoms on the other hand shouldn't see so much daylight in public (and no, a long tie around your neck is not the same as a loincloth).

Tits out is legal. Not really a lot of room to change that. They are already fighting back against oppression, trying to convince them to do more than is legally required seems unwise. Bottoms on the other hand shouldn't see so much daylight in public (and no, a long tie around your neck is not the same as a loincloth)

Some of the older nudist males had piercing down there 🤮. Haley said she will never get it out of her head

Some of the older nudist males had piercing down there 🤮. Haley said she will never get it out of her head
The Prince Albert does not look a great idea to me but whatever floats their boat. Cover it up in public though. Inside an adult only establishment, I could care less what is worn or what happens.

I have a different take. 20 years ago I went to a parade as things were radically different then. The parade was a reminder that not everything was equal for some people in our society, not by a long shot and it had a protest air about it and for good reason. Now, I don’t really see that as true (and I haven’t seen it as true for a pretty long time actually). Not here in Canada anyway so I don’t see the reason for me to go to show solidarity with a cause which seems mostly done here. In my mind everyone is equal so I’m not sure why we’d celebrate (as this is now a celebration rather than a protest) one section of society vs another. That leads to problems when you start treating one subset of society differently to another when what you’re supposed to be doing is treating everyone the same. My best friend happens to be gay but to me he’s just my best friend.

Maybe I’m thinking about it the wrong way and something like Caribana is perhaps on the same footing as the Pride parade these days but to me there’s a difference. I don’t think Caribana was ever conceived as a protest for example.

I’m willing to be re-educated though.

I wish we didn't need special days for special interest groups. Just get along every day.

I don't know why jocks get bent out of shape over gays. They leave more chicks for the straight guys.

Back
Top Bottom