Post your cocktails and wines! | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post your cocktails and wines!

Enthusiast negroni cocktail with a fresh scraped orange peel slice.

attachment.php

Happy leap-year day and enjoy the weekend.

I read through this thread again and the posts are helpful. From that, I picked up some Drambuie
thumb_up.gif
. Anyone have any Drambuie cocktail recommendations? I've been reluctant to use it with my pricey single malt scotch, perhaps some blended scotch works well? Any feedback or suggestions?

In the meantime, there's lots to enjoy the wide world of cocktails. In some of the recent cool weather, straight Campari on the rocks was excellent.

Here's another favorite cocktail. Bourbon old fashioned with Fabbri Amareno (wild Italian) cherries instead of an orange twist. Top notch.

attachment.php

Enjoy ur Friday.

Rusty Nail, is of course the obvious suggestion
and no, don't waste the single malt on it
Chivas will do just fine

I'm doing my winter abstinence thing
so will enjoy the pictures!

I did 50 dry days , new years day till mid feb. I hate to say it but I felt WAY better.
That said, I eat in restaurants everyday for lunch, sometimes dinner 3 nights a week and I'm saving $1000 a month. at least.

Thx @J_F , I'll pick some up soon and try it. In the mean time I've tried a Bulleit Bourbon Rusty Bob, which substitutes Bourbon whisky for the blended Scotch whisky. And a Donald Sutherland with Crown Royal Norther Harvest Rye Whiskey, which substitutes Canadian rye whisky for the blended Scotch whisky. Fresh lemon garnish is an important contributor imo. Both were good and I definitely recommend. My computer crapped out so no pics.

Congratulations @crankcall! I fully support all who go for a better life balance; I take a break from alcohol every week in such pursuit. >$1K per month is a lot of savings, liquor is expensive and it can add up quickly. My budget and use is much lower. Thx for the acknowledgement... I look forward to your future contributions off the break
thumb_up.gif
; you post some great pics and drinks/food.

Enjoy the weekend.

Last edited:
1584723676276.jpeg
Protecting my drink.

mojitos, damn that looks nice!

doesn't suit the weather in my neck of the woods though
horizontal rain and grey skies :(

but a rusty nail is about perfect for this
Chivas is a decent quality blend for mixing
not terrible on the rocks either

mojitos, damn that looks nice!

doesn't suit the weather in my neck of the woods though
horizontal rain and grey skies :(

but a rusty nail is about perfect for this
Chivas is a decent quality blend for mixing
not terrible on the rocks either
I know what you mean. I drank a lot of fresh mojitos in MX in January (AO AI trip), so good. The Rusty Nail has made a number of appearances in this thread... it was nice to finally try. Chivas is very good value since scotch has gotten so expensive. Still, I find the premium single malt scotches I have on hand better (but too expensive for mixing) and if talking Chivas (Highland style), I look to something like Glenmorangie 8. Scotch got so expensive I switched over often to Bourbon, and enjoy it too. After having a number of versions and styles of the Rusty Nail cocktail, I've found I'm more of a fan of other cocktails with herbals/bitters (seen in many earlier posts). A Rusty Nail is on the sweet side and I already really enjoy a number of other sweet cocktails (ymmv). Still, it's nice to have variety as well, and I'll probably keep both liquors stocked in the house.

Along the lines of favorite and herbal/bitter cocktails, here's a recent Epicurious.com YouTube video where 10 pro chefs make their favorite cocktail. There's lots of riffing going on as well which is a great part of cocktails... adjust to personal tastes and preferences
thumb_up.gif
. I see there's a number of cocktails with herbal liquors and/or bitters
bowdown.gif
, highly recommended. And I see other top favorites such as the Old Fashioned, Pina Colada (had them in MX too) and Margarita.

Pro Chefs Make Their Favorite Cocktails (10 Recipes) | Test Kitchen Talks | Bon Appétit

Cheers

Last edited:
we are short of cola ( i'm a pepsi guy , F coke ) so the rum and colas , cuba libre, are on the back burner, but we are swimming in versions of scotch and duty free drambuie , so rusty nials by the pitcher till we fall down are on.

next week is flushing out the bourbon closet. Manhattans every night next week.

Did some social distancing with a good friend tonight, grilled some meat in the back yard, stayed 8 ft apart and plowed throuigh 1.5L of Tuscan red. Walked home for safety, now planning tomorrows shitshow. I love being walking distance to where I want to be.

we are short of cola ( i'm a pepsi guy , F coke ) so the rum and colas , cuba libre, are on the back burner, but we are swimming in versions of scotch and duty free drambuie , so rusty nials by the pitcher till we fall down are on.

next week is flushing out the bourbon closet. Manhattans every night next week.

Did some social distancing with a good friend tonight, grilled some meat in the back yard, stayed 8 ft apart and plowed throuigh 1.5L of Tuscan red. Walked home for safety, now planning tomorrows shitshow. I love being walking distance to where I want to be.
Got one of those soda stream gizmos. At first it was a hastle but now that I learned to use it, I kinda like it.

the flavouring syrups are great, once i got dialed in I can’t distinguish from store bought drinks.

You don’t save a lot but it’s convenient and by keeping a handful of flavours on hand you can create drinks on demand.

I enjoy colas as caffeine soft drinks (instead of coffee) but haven't done a cola cocktail in a long time @crankcall. 2-4 yrs ago I enjoyed rum and coke (zero) for a while. I can see it appeal. Pepsi is too sweet for me, but that's just me, ying and yang... both colas definitely have unique taste profiles. PC diet cola is quite good imo.

In homage to that Epicurious YT video, here's one of my recent custom Old Fashioned cocktails; Bulleit Bourbon with Fabbri Amarena wild cherries (and a bit of syrup), otherwise done classic style with a muddled sugar cube, angostura bitters and a large ice cube served in a cocktail lowball glass.

Link to pic. Click to zoom.

Cheers

Here's a wine I enjoyed again recently (and posted about before), a Marechal Foch hybrid grape and from ON (Beamville Bench area on the Niagara Peninsula) .

Malivoire Old Vines Foch.
attachment.php

attachment.php

IMO, it's a good red wine grape grown quite historically in Canada (and for good reason; it's well adapted to the Canadian Niagara climate).

I often like to enjoy some fine chocolate with red wine... even with just some simple dark chocolate it's a great combination.

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Last edited:
I was overdue to make a no-compromise old fashioned cocktail. It was time.

Two Oz Bulleit Bourbon, one sugar cube, 2-3 shakes of Angostura bitters, muddle with a touch of water, two Fabbri Amarena Italian wild cherries and a bit of syrup, all mixed. Made in a crystal Orrefors "On the Rocks" lowball glass; the bottom of this handmade glass reflects the liquid above, giving a shimmering mountain look. It's my best glass. I also used a single oversize ice cube.

attachment.php

Window fit here, picture.

Last edited:
Another Boulevardier cocktail; highly recommended.

For the detail oriented, it was made with 1.5 Oz Crown Royal Canadian Northern Harvest rye whiskey, 1 Oz Campari and 1 Oz Dolin sweet vermouth. Served with a scraped fresh orange peel twist in an Orrefors "On the Rocks" crystal low ball glass; with an oversized round cocktail ice cube.

attachment.php

I cooked another top notch picnic ham for Easter meal. It was a very large 11.5 lbs and I used a scratch-made spicy apricot glaze goodness (even mortar and pistil grinding cloves). For a change I went with a white wine with this meal and served a nice ON offering, Peninsula Ridge Wismer Sauvignon Blanc.
WP_20200413_14_02_43_Pro%2B%25282%2529.jpg

It went well together.
WP_20200413_14_03_58_Pro%2B%25282%2529.jpg

And now back to cocktails.

Lots of good cocktails listed in that new Epicurious article. Many have been mentioned here too. I'm still relatively new to the whole cocktail scene... and trying new things.

I've been enjoying Negroni cocktails with some regularity. Here's a recent one. Highly recommended. Done enthusiast (extra Vodka) Anthony Bourdain style. God, I miss that guy.

attachment.php

Here's AB himself again (repost)... on Jimmy Fallon.

Back
Top Bottom