POLL: Cold weather riding... | GTAMotorcycle.com

POLL: Cold weather riding...

At what temperature do you park the bike for the season?

• 10ºC

• 0ºC

• -10ºC

• It's never too cold to ride!

Results are only viewable after voting.

WestBrantKid

Site Supporter
I've never posted a poll so I'm not sure how it works, but assuming you have the option, feel free to follow up your answer with reasons or comments.

Used to be -18⁰c was the lowest I would ride but as I get older it probably a bit higher, maybe closer to -10.

But temperature isn't really my major concern. It's ice and snow on the road (or the risk of it) that is the main deciding factor for me.

..Ton

Has to be above 4 celsius when I start out, and going up above 10 degrees.
Also, my head has to be in the game, or I won't go.

It takes longer to get ready to ride, than to pull the bike out.
A friend has his in storage and knows the exact day when he can start riding again, God willing.

Needs to be +5 for me. Anything lower the wind chill and tire grip it's worth it. I don't have heated gear. Some sun is nice as well.

Yeah +5 was my mark as well tho in Uni in the late 60s it was much lower. Forks was just a nice ride when no ice around.

Of course now it's heat limit ( 33 ish ) that determines my riding.
Mid to high 20s in the morning this time of year - got into the upper 30s last month....too hot.

If you live in Canada and it's "too cold/wet/hot/humid to ride", your riding window has basically shrunk to 30 days out of 365.

To each their own. If that's okay for you, then thumbs up. Why be miserable if you don't have to be.

There's gear and equipment available that keeps me safe and comfortable for just about any kind of conditions for the climate that we live in.

If you live in Canada and it's "too cold/wet/hot/humid to ride", your riding window has basically shrunk to 30 days out of 365.

To each their own. If that's okay for you, then thumbs up. Why be miserable if you don't have to be.

There's gear and equipment available that keeps me safe and comfortable for just about any kind of conditions for the climate that we live in.
I take corners too fast for that. My street still has a layer of ice on it. They use sand mixed in with the salt. It wouldn't be a pretty sight. I'll most likely be riding a little in March, training in April, and heading to Vermont in May. October a friend and I will try to get down to Alabama.

For me, the question is about tire grip and what you are looking to get out of the ride. Below freezing on some sport tires and youll never get them warm enough. First ride of the season, sure, take it easy and cruise around. Every weekend at -5c looking for some adrenaline? Maybe time to look into a different winter hobby.

This wouldn't sound so bad if insurance premiums were based on the amount of days you actually rode the bike and not the number of days you could possibly ride the bike.

For me, the question is about tire grip and what you are looking to get out of the ride. Below freezing on some sport tires and youll never get them warm enough. First ride of the season, sure, take it easy and cruise around. Every weekend at -5c looking for some adrenaline? Maybe time to look into a different winter hobby.
You need to import these from England, but worth it, if you want to ride in the cold. These have been surprisingly great. These cost me about $600CAD, shipping included.

Attachments

• 20221030_162031.jpg
    20221030_162031.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
This wouldn't sound so bad if insurance premiums were based on the amount of days you actually rode the bike and not the number of days you could possibly ride the bike.
Actually, insurance is ridiculously expensive in my opinion, but it's based on the typical riders season and they stretch the payments over the year to reduced the payments. At least, that's how it was explained to me. That's why there's a penalty for canceling early.

Actually, insurance is ridiculously expensive in my opinion, but it's based on the typical riders season and they stretch the payments over the year to reduced the payments. At least, that's how it was explained to me. That's why there's a penalty for canceling early.
That is true.
But without breaking out the calculator to solve the mathematical equation of policy premiums, one would think that insurance for only 30 says would be a couple of hundred bucks only.

"
In fact, according to a Quebec, Canada highway safety code regulation that went into effect on December 15, 2014, only tires that meet the 3PMSF standard are considered to be acceptable snow tires for use in Quebec. The law specifies the winter months there as ranging between December 15 and March 15 each year. Winter vehicle requirements may differ by region, so it’s worth familiarizing yourself with what’s legal in your area before you go tire shopping.

While you’ll find many motorcycle tires that bear M+S designation, the Anlas Winter Grip Plus is one of the only (if not the only) motorcycle tires with a 3PMSF rating as of January 2022. "

Ask RideApart: Are There Motorcycle Snow Tires?

Edit: I'd have to go off size for the front tyre.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom