Pickup Trucks | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pickup Trucks

Sister posted they took my BiL's pickup out for a Sunday drive this afternoon. What you can get away with when you can sign your own safety.

AIL4fc9_1T9V6DG3qycP1q-Y2hwrbQjgeSm5oPtOyflC2R-f4uNfF5uIo1ED1ICIjn4ReF1_TP-ZYI3eLEasitr3WazSWpBfgw3D33oQVt45AaftuQYj89VitjB1LlDnQ3oJRis0cYGVZdP5qmYAbttPKJdK=w960-h720-s-no
Not exactly a lumber or grocery hauler.

Half ton Rams use coil springs in the rear - payload is typically 500-900 lbs lighter then a similarly equipped truck from another brand with leafs... Ram rides WAY nicer unloaded, but sags hard under any kind of weight. Solution is factory or aftermarket air ride - which works nicely, but can be expensive to maintain down the road....

It's not slagging Ram at all, just weighing pros and cons - I run with 500 pounds of tools in the bag regularly - a truck with a 900 pound payload won't work for me.. but empty, my truck rides hard. A Ram rides like a dream... all about the usage case.
Nothing wrong with coil springs compared to leafs. They are sized according to the load they are to handle.

Tool boxes in my 1500's are well over 500lbs and never come out. Regularly put an additional 1k in the box and then pull 3-5k of trailer. Truck barely squats and handles like a dream.

Proper distribution and quality E range tires properly inflated are a must for any truck.

Sister posted they took my BiL's pickup out for a Sunday drive this afternoon. What you can get away with when you can sign your own safety.

AIL4fc9_1T9V6DG3qycP1q-Y2hwrbQjgeSm5oPtOyflC2R-f4uNfF5uIo1ED1ICIjn4ReF1_TP-ZYI3eLEasitr3WazSWpBfgw3D33oQVt45AaftuQYj89VitjB1LlDnQ3oJRis0cYGVZdP5qmYAbttPKJdK=w960-h720-s-no
Very nice. My '78 is a little more low key, but much like this one I am sure, the only thing it hauls is ass.

I am sure, the only thing it hauls is ass.

It's a Pro Street truck. There's no "box" to put anything into. There's a tub over the dif/wheels and the box sides/tailgate are outer skins tack welded to a tubular birdcage bolted to the frame rails. The tonneau cover is actually a stressed member to help keep the panels from flapping. Front fenders are skins and mounted the same way.

Not exactly a lumber or grocery hauler.

They've got that covered. He has a "work" truck to drive back and forth to the shop and haul the camper trailer.

AIL4fc8KJ357f9LxO3M66qbD6DlNTxjhIwP-3L7uhsIFKuAyoBKplC6xdkxzMJUTTatSyKvKqLoMV2mNQSXdR3kxoeWJgIuzrRrpF951PxLpK7LHf-df3LtNFTzDLUYRWpdNM4hNiSAHza3iIZqbw31o6fWg=w731-h582-s-no

She has a Denali to haul her horses around.

AIL4fc_wtE51WdF6BLMTaUKoK3kTr_VZULg54od7DcBBIcTgShi9vPjiVe7O5sipOiU0QU4OYCDmGmFwqTZQt22W-wISfcUwRlTi48ytE9AvUEp6vQHhNo1YKxWiMzhrnaHZiuY0Uq2cBQDVQBCovHfo5IMf=w661-h492-s-no

It's a Pro Street truck. There's no "box" to put anything into. There's a tub over the dif/wheels and the box sides/tailgate are outer skins tack welded to a tubular birdcage bolted to the frame rails. The tonneau cover is actually a stressed member to help keep the panels from flapping. Front fenders are skins and mounted the same way.
My truck appears stock. 315/60R15 drag radials are the largest tires I could fit under the stock body work.

I like the sleeper look. Only thing that gives my truck away is the loud lumpy idle.

That 468 passes everything but a gas station.

I always enjoy where the replies in forums go.
No want for a trailer, I have property to maintain so a P/U Truck would be much easier to move around.
I will require it to move materials, supplies from businesses to my home. Hay, straw, feed, lumber etc.
I'll be living on dirt roads so something with AWD, 4x4 will be desirable.
I'll need a 2nd vehicle (trading in wife's car) She'll take my SUV.
I don't travel far, maybe 15K a year.
Happy to buy used, new, base model whatever.
I can afford the payments (no top of the line baller models)

In all honesty, I already know what I'll get, but I always like to start conversations on this forum.
We all expect a report in 2 years time on wether you made a good decision.

My wife and I have an agreement that I'll make all the major decisions in our life, and she'll make all the minor ones.

Been married for over twenty years and we haven't made a single major decision yet...
So…selling all your worldly possessions, quitting your jobs, buying motorcycles and travelling the world was NOT a major decision?

😳

If that’s not major i would be very interested to see what classifies as major!

I used to say that a lot too.

Then I got married.
Been happily married almost 30 years, marriage is a partnership. and FFS we're talking about a pickup truck for use on a small farm.
Not a major decision at all, but one that is being discussed, researched, and evaluated by both my wife and I.

I'll be living on dirt roads so something with AWD, 4x4 will be desirable.
I don't travel far, maybe 15K a year.

Kind of sounds like my driving habits.

I bought a 2020 ram truck new, and it's just about to hit 50k. At least 15k of those are in 4wd low on very bumpy seasonal roads. ZERO issues with it, and it's a limited with all the fancy gadgets I didn't really want like electronic running boards etc.

I had a 2007 2500 power wagon before that that I used for 12 years before getting rid of for the 2020, and next to no issues with it either.

RAM has been very reliable for me also, similar to other posts in this thread.

I currently have a 2017 f150 rcsb 5.0, its basically a mustang with a box...it hauls the mail real good. Its all stock except 2"rear lowering shackles and Timbren's for towing. Probably going 4.10 gears from current 3.55 gears for better towing.

20220505_181122.jpg

Kind of forgot that I made this post... lol
With the current pricing I don't see any new vehicle in my near future.
After the purchase of my tractor, that is it for "vehicles" for awhile.

At least you got a new bike recently.
You know... Priorities

Kind of sounds like my driving habits.

I bought a 2020 ram truck new, and it's just about to hit 50k. At least 15k of those are in 4wd low on very bumpy seasonal roads. ZERO issues with it, and it's a limited with all the fancy gadgets I didn't really want like electronic running boards etc.

I had a 2007 2500 power wagon before that that I used for 12 years before getting rid of for the 2020, and next to no issues with it either.

RAM has been very reliable for me also, similar to other posts in this thread.
Similar experience with Dodge pickups. Had a handful over the years, my 2007 1500 is still going. It would probably have lasted me forever had I provided some rust protection. The only repairs I've done since new: in-tank pump, oil pan, and front struts. I've done a bit of rust repair - tailgate, rear wheel arches and rocker panels -- fortunately, repair panels are dirt cheap. Not bad for a truck that was $18K new in 2007.

After waiting nearly 8 months my Maverick finally arrived.
Is it a heavy duty truck ? No, but it will carry 500 lbs in the bed, has a 2,000 lb towing capacity (200 lbs tongue weight), and with the tail gate down I could probably carry a cow in it if I had to.
AWD with a 2.0 litre turbo is plenty of jam for me, plus it seems pretty easy on fuel so far.
I'd guess that for 90% of private owners it is more than enough.

Attachments

• Maverick2.JPG
    Maverick2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • Maverick1.JPG
    Maverick1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom