paying for gas | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

paying for gas

I rarely fuel while on the bike, I usually need a chance to stretch a bit anyway.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I've always been asked to remove my helmet when entering/exiting Canada
and yeah, it is an opportunity for yes sir/ma'am type of behaviour

I never understood why people address enforcement officers as "Sir/Ma'am" when they're the ones working to serve us (the public) and paid by our taxes. Whenever I have to deal with one, I just speak to them like any other person I would talk to.

I still remember one ride ages ago (I think it was one of the Aminal BBQ's) where we all stopped at a gas station and one guy goes inside to pay with his skull bandana still around his face. The girl at the cash says "That's a scary mask." The guy replies "Yeah, it's good for hold-ups."

I never understood why people address enforcement officers as "Sir/Ma'am" when they're the ones working to serve us (the public) and paid by our taxes. Whenever I have to deal with one, I just speak to them like any other person I would talk to.
These public servants have huge egos, and probably a lot more power than they can handle. Especially when entering the US. I've had some unpleasant encounters despite being polite.

These public servants have huge egos, and probably a lot more power than they can handle. Especially when entering the US. I've had some unpleasant encounters despite being polite.

I'm always polite, or at least not impolite. The way I see it, if they already have it out for you, no amount of ass kissing is going to change the outcome. That said, I find most of them are fine, just a few seem to be over the top. Maybe they just had a bad day finding out some huge drug shipment got past them?

military family
it's a force of habit when dealing with people in uniform

women in positions of authority really like ma'am
well maybe not the ones in their 20's

so I really like to use it under those circumstances

I gas up sitting on the bike so that I can efficiently fill up the tank because less time at the gas station and more time riding is what I'm about. I had a gas station clerk tell me to take off my helmet once, cant remember what I said but that was a long time ago. Never had a problem keeping the lid on since then.

I don't see it as being a dick, just someone challenging people who make up laws.

Banks and borders - no problem. Unless it was just gas I wouldn't go into a store with a helmet regardless. Leave it on the bike because I'm too lazy to carry it around

The above attempted robbery could have had the same effect with a ball cap and surgical mask, or a few religious garments.

"The way I see it is making a problem where there isn't one. I don't have to change my physical appearance for you to offer me service."
The issue is twofold (IMO) - if the OP had simply paid at the pump this would not be an issue BUT the minute you walk into a place of business where its possible a robbery could happen then the storekeeper is well within rights to ask you to remove your helmet.
ALSO - I've seen people walk into my buddy's store, helmet on, stand at the counter mumbling something. Its hard to be heard when you're wearing your lid, be courteous, to repeat myself it only takes a couple of seconds.

I gas up sitting on the bike so that I can efficiently fill up the tank because less time at the gas station and more time riding is what I'm about. I had a gas station clerk tell me to take off my helmet once, cant remember what I said but that was a long time ago. Never had a problem keeping the lid on since then.

That 2 minutes saved....lol

Gas is one thing, I would never go into a bank with my helmet on lol.
My wife worked for BMO for over 40 years. Some employees were traumatized terribly by robberies. A teller making minimum wage may not be able to pack it in to find another job. A little common sense and compassion goes a long way.

I've never tried gassing up sitting on my bike....might be a bit of challenge :unsure::

The gas tank is underneath the seat ;)

Why would anyone NOT pay at the pump when it's so much quicker? Unless it's an old pump that doesn't have that option but the vast majority do.

Same at Tim Hortons, when I arrive I place my order on the ap then walk in straight to the express pickup counter instead of waiting in a slow moving line.

I only take my helmet off if it's really hot out, otherwise I have never been asked to remove it. Once I walked in to pay with just my balaclava on and the young lady did not look impressed lol. I wasn't thinking, would have freaked me out too. I pulled it down under my chin, apologized and she smiled and said thanks. I can appreciate why someone would ask me to though, especially if they've been through a traumatic experience and I would probably oblige them if they asked. I don't care about being right, I just want to get back on my bike asap.

Yep, had that happen in a bank once. Full face helmet with my visor (clear) all the way up. I had cash in one hand and my debit card in the other, took 5 minutes of arguing with the bank manager to let me deposit lol.

I'd never go into a bank with a helmet on, why tempt fate in that some idiot security guard thinks you're there to rob the place and shoots you.

I'm asked to remove my helmet at the border about 1/3 of the time. I use the Nexus line.

I never remove my helmet to get gas, but usually use the pay at pump feature. If I have to go inside to pay I flip up the visor on my modular helmet, especially in the US where the clerk behind the counter may well have a pistol or shotgun under the counter. One US gas bar/ convenience store I stopped at had a sign telling riders to remove helmet or risk being shot. Blunt, but effective, I removed my helmet.

I'd never go into a bank with a helmet on, why tempt fate in that some idiot security guard thinks you're there to rob the place and shoots you.

I'm asked to remove my helmet at the border about 1/3 of the time. I use the Nexus line.

I never remove my helmet to get gas, but usually use the pay at pump feature. If I have to go inside to pay I flip up the visor on my modular helmet, especially in the US where the clerk behind the counter may well have a pistol or shotgun under the counter. One US gas bar/ convenience store I stopped at had a sign telling riders to remove helmet or risk being shot. Blunt, but effective, I removed my helmet.

I could be wrong but I thought our security guards even at banks don't usually carry. It's the brinks or money transport ones that do.

I go to a McDonalds by my work regularly in the morning. They don't allow bikes through the drive-through so I walk in and order through the touchscreen, never take my helmet off, grab my sausage n egg and leave. Haven't really had a problem there ever.

We have bank guards? News to me.

Maybe if i lived in the U.S.

Back
Top Bottom