Panigale R Superleggera | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Panigale R Superleggera

From some industry insider over on the Pani forum

*Edit* Actually, this pic is also up on the Asphalt and Rubber site too.

I can only assume its the launch party and people with deep pockets :)

Saw that other Pani corse model from one of the guys on the .ms forum, looks interesting. Ultimate death trap?

I got an invite and access to the website....who cares, I imagine the regular R will have most of the same lightness and performance within a couple years max

I can only assume its the launch party and people with deep pockets :)

Saw that other Pani corse model from one of the guys on the .ms forum, looks interesting. Ultimate death trap?

Kinda disappointed I didn't get an invite. Maybe cause I went all cheap on GP Bikes asking for a free Ducati T-shirt or something, hahahaha...they knew I wouldn't be fronting no cash for the Superleggera.

Honestly though, the Pani's problem in WSBK is not out and out HP, it's chassis feedback and loss of power at the wheel. That really isn't solved by dropping 40lbs and adding 25hp.

It will be more interesting to see how the new revised engine casing and materials affects (stressed member engine) feedback to the rider (and a championship rider they do not have at the moment), and perhaps some swing arm revisions to get that power down too.

The Kawi toiled in the dark for nearly 5 years trying to get the power through the swing arm to make that thing work! As did the BMW S1000R. Both those beasts ate up tires and faded in the end of the races. The 2008,9,10 ZX10R was lost in the wilderness with, though a beautiful swing arm for the road, a completely worthless swing arm for the races.

I am not sure Ducati even have a development rider that Sykes turned out to be, or a prima donna / hot and cold rider like Biaggi or Melandri to click on the odd occasion and get a win.

The PaniS is a beast on the road as it is. A power wheelie fiend and flick-able on the track. No street rider or amateur racer would detect feedback issues or lack of power on the straights so the 1201 seems a bit backward for the street and kind of sad that it requires wheelie control like the S1000R. Something isn't being managed right, not like the Aprilia that's for sure.

If the Pani can achieve the chassis balance of the Aprilia, the current specs should be more than enough to slay the competition.

That being said, I certainly cannot find where the Pani is lacking...I don't ride at that calibre!

*Edit*

Come to think about it, the engine casing revisions were more of a rumour and judging from the articles thus far it doesn't look like any serious design revisions were done to the swing arm or chassis to improve feed back. Perhaps Magnesium itself gives more flex and feedback than aluminium but that remains to be seen.

Losing 40lbs may still be a problem laying down now even more hp in mid corner and exiting, so it remains to be seen how the suspension and electronics compensate and maybe get to see a benefit from the extra hp at the end of the straight next to the S1000R. If it is still losing out in the corners, the RSV4 will still be clocking 1 to 1.5 seconds per lap advantages in track shoot outs of stock bikes come next spring.

The only place this Pani looks to recover ground is the 150kph + roll on against the S1000R and ZX10R, and that will largely depend on not losing too much ground on the launch!

Last edited:
Kinda disappointed I didn't get an invite. Maybe cause I went all cheap on GP Bikes asking for a free Ducati T-shirt or something, hahahaha...they knew I wouldn't be fronting no cash for the Superleggera.

Ask Sonny, maybe he can give you his :)

The real sonny :D
eqequ4yq.jpg

Sent from my piss poor iPhone while sitting on my squidly gixxxxxxxxer sippin on kool aid

Ask Sonny, maybe he can give you his :)

Sonny and I already have a tentative plan to put the S and the R back to back on the track to detect the difference for the layman.now the stakes are higher...we need someone with the Leggera to complete the shoot out!

If Sonny picks up the Leggera I can only assume he would be willing to lend the R out to someone for the sake of the comparison.

Losing 40lbs may still be a problem laying down now even more hp in mid corner and exiting, so it remains to be seen how the suspension and electronics compensate and maybe get to see a benefit from the extra hp at the end of the straight next to the S1000R. If it is still losing out in the corners, the RSV4 will still be clocking 1 to 1.5 seconds per lap advantages in track shoot outs of stock bikes come next spring.

I had a balls-out ride with a local NC cop on #28 when I was down at the Gap this year, on a 1199S Tricolore. You know what really surprised me? That I had steam on him down straights. I was expecting to get my buttocks kicked out of corners given that the 1199S is supposed to have ~15-20hp on the RSV4, but it was the opposite, I could reel him in at will. Maybe I just got on the gas sooner, but he lives there and knows the roads better... he definitely was not sandbagging, he wanted to shake me something bad. :) I will say that the harder you ride the RSV4, the more it works... don't regret owning it, at all.

Would I like to own a Superleggera? Hell yes.

Last edited:
Limited production. They don't use the molds for Carbon Fiber bits enough which justifies the price hike not to mention dealer markup being taken into accoun t.

Back
Top Bottom