Panigale R Superleggera | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Panigale R Superleggera

Pro racers are extremely fit and have little body fat, but they guys buying these street superbikes are likely paying thousands for a few extra pounds, and likely carrying 20 lbs+ too much body weight.

Personally, rather than go for the poser racer approach, I'd spend that money on a classic Ducati that is just nice to look at.

ducati-900-supersport.jpg

Pretty sure the bike in the picture is a modern FI Ducati (an air cooled one) just made to look old by Ducati...

Who said it did?

You made a comparison by saying they weren't doing well in GP. One has nothing to do with the other.

The lease program includes spares, engines, and technical support. Honda also recoups their R&D costs.

You are correct but that doesn't mean your million dollar price tag is even in the ballpark. When you consider that brakes cost $50,000 (could be euros or dollars I'm unsure) your estimate doesn't make sense.

In this thread: Hipsters hate on Ducati

Maybe with an original electrical system, but a properly restored and upgraded bike should not give issues. These are relatively simple bikes.
I'm more worried about all the complex computers, sensors and electricals on these new era bikes. When they are new, they are great, but when stuff goes wrong, it can be a nightmare to chase the gremlins down.

Of course, there are those stupid desmo valves, which haven't made any sense in 50 years.

so i just imagined the:
-cracked frame
-worn valve guides
-broken chain adjuster bolts
-blown R/R
-busted stator
-broken fuel pump and fuel pump assy mounting bolt
-falling off rearview mirror

on my 900ss ??

owning an old ducati made me a lousy rider but a great mechanic
Ill take the "complex" electrics on new bikes over the old ***** any day

Last edited:
You are correct but that doesn't mean your million dollar price tag is even in the ballpark. When you consider that brakes cost $50,000 (could be euros or dollars I'm unsure) your estimate doesn't make sense.

CRT bikes don't use 50,000 euro brakes.

so i just imagined the:
-cracked frame
-worn valve guides
-broken chain adjuster bolts
-blown R/R
-busted stator
-broken fuel pump and fuel pump assy mounting bolt
-falling off rearview mirror

on my 900ss ??

owning an old ducati made me a lousy rider but a great mechanic
Ill take the "complex" electrics on new bikes over the old ***** any day

You are comparing vintage bike with a new bike. Let's see how these modern computer-controlled bikes last after a few years. Old problems are likely going to be replaced with sensor failures, computer modules, and lots of little things you can easily fix yourself will be replaced by expensive sensor modules that Ducati will bend you over the parts counter for, and only be done at $150/hr labor. I'd rather become a better mechanic than become some dealer's b*tch.

If the SPClassic doesn't float your boat, there's always Walt Siegl...

custom-ducati-8.jpg

Modern Ducatis are really lacking in style, they used to take a different path, but now they are indistinguishable from Japanese SS bikes.

kinda makes no sense. Senna never raced motorcycles.

senna used to be good friends with the castiglioni brothers , who once owned ducati (cagiva)...when senna died , they produced a "senna edition" 916
with the grey bodywork and red wheels as a tribute

In terms of maintenance, you pay a premium for a premium brand that you ride which quality is a major portion of that but not all. Like driving a BMW, you pay more for parts, ... so that you are seen driving a BMW. I ride a base 1199 and to me it has handling of a SS600 and better with power of a SS1300. That is a rare combination. The bike behaves like a bicycle at turns. You need to hold it from not leaning too much rather than trying to lean it to an angle.

Modern Ducatis are really lacking in style, they used to take a different path, but now they are indistinguishable from Japanese SS bikes.

That or beaten with an ugly stick, or fat sister, or whatever you called the one bike that doesn't look like anything else.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by CafeRay

Don't worry they will soon be getting I4 engines if they want to get on the MotoGp podium again.

Back
Top Bottom