Pan America | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pan America

I think that HD is going to have a tough time selling these bikes.

I could be completely wrong but I think no one looking to buy a BMW GS, a KTM, Africa Twin or other high end adventure bike would ever seriously consider a this Harley.

Add to this Harley's relatively poor reliability record. There's a lot of new technolgy in this new bike and just how reliable will it prove to be.

How do you like your gsxs1000?
Anyone know how they are on the track?
its good value, but might need suspension bits.

there's far better bikes.

better off just springing for a used built super sport and tracking it.

its good value, but might need suspension bits.

there's far better bikes.

better off just springing for a used built super sport and tracking it.

I like my bikes to have some versatility, a sport touring bike or naked thats trackable is better than an uncomfortable race bike thats also uninsurable

I like my bikes to have some versatility, a sport touring bike or naked thats trackable is better than an uncomfortable race bike thats also uninsurable
That just leads to unhappiness buy one of each that is the best at what it does. SS for the track and a dirt bike for the trails you already have the street bike covered. Lots of built track bikes cheap that don't really mater if you toss em away. A street bike on the track always end with tears and a crappy track bike compared to a dedicated one.

Sent from my couch using my thumbs

I could be completely wrong but I think no one looking to buy a BMW GS, a KTM, Africa Twin or other high end adventure bike would ever seriously consider a this Harley.

Add to this Harley's relatively poor reliability record. There's a lot of new technolgy in this new bike and just how reliable will it prove to be.
As with the previous CEO, that the bike was stewarded under, you gotta start somewhere. Of course the current CEO is all Ride then Die with the customer base.

Just like how the Africa Twin can be mentioned in the same sentence as a GSA or Super Adventure now but there was over a 10 year gap when Honda last had something in the segment.

Last edited:
yeah...i feel you but im not tossing the XR down the track even if it can snap at the heels of the RR.

How do you like your gsxs1000?
Anyone know how they are on the track?
Love it. Totally hooligan bike that's awesome value as mentioned. Many complain about the rear shock needing replacing but it's no worse than any other bike I've had to be honest. I may splurge one day and upgrade it.

Reliability is another plus ... the engine's based on the 2005-2008 Gsx-R1000 so it's been around. I never worry about being stranded by the bike - couldn't say that about the Guzzi I had, although it never did but there was always that inkling in the back of my mind. Plus a dealer network is important to have for me.

I've never tracked it but imagine it's fine as many have.

I'm not sure I'd change it for your Super Duke though (never road one myself mind you).

I'm not sure I'd change it for your Super Duke though (never road one myself mind you).
famous last words ?

Well, there's lots of tech there. Most of it you don't need. I'm actually liking the functional chunky styling, esp. in black. Even the price is $10,000 less than I expected. As a traditional Harley guy, I have to say I'm not the slightest bit interested in a 500lb+ let's pretend-its-an-off-road bike, and I don't care who makes it. I have no idea how this bike will sell, but I'll never buy one. If we're going to talk reliability though, it can't be that difficult going up against bug infested s-piles like BMW, KTM and pricey spaghetti-burners. The one to worry about is Honda, the world's best motorcycle maker.

I think you’re wrong. First, the reliability won’t be any worse than your typical BMW/KTM or other big end ADV bikes (I’m not including the AT there as it’s likely better but they also don’t sell well at all which is why you see them sitting at dealers forever).
Second, people will consider them for many reasons not the least of which is the huge dealer network in NA is a huge bonus.

The look is growing on me as well. Either way it makes a statement which can't hurt, good-bad press is always a plus. I like the engine changes, even if I don't understand all of it, seems a whole lot better then anything else they have going on, the stats look pretty good! Would like to see that engine in a touring model. Pricing doesn't seem to outta wack either. If the dealers step up and treat it like a first class bike and not something left in the corner hopefully it gains a user base. So far so good though, just waiting on some rider review to see how it handles and compares to the competition.

Well, there's lots of tech there.
To be honest, I'm astonished they went to a near over square motor instead of the traditional under square lumps they've always used.
Never thought I'd see the day a *STOCK* HD motor would hit 9000 rpm, have dual counterbalancers and produce 150hp / 94 ft.lb. torque.

Put that into the Bronx (Can't figure out why it was shelved) and it would be the only HD I would ever even remotely consider purchasing.

The front reminds me of the first generation (1978) Battlestar Galactica Cylons, don't like it (just missing the back and forth red light). Other than that I think it is pretty cool but I agree it will be a hard area for Harley to break into and the current Harley crowd will not be interested. But at the same time, they need to break some new ground to get new riders into the brand.

For those who really want to know, this vid gives a good idea of the real numbers

I think at this point must are wanting to go to a lighter mid weight adventure bike and move away from the big heavy bikes

Last edited:
I think you’re wrong. First, the reliability won’t be any worse than your typical BMW/KTM or other big end ADV bikes (I’m not including the AT there as it’s likely better but they also don’t sell well at all which is why you see them sitting at dealers forever).
Second, people will consider them for many reasons not the least of which is the huge dealer network in NA is a huge bonus.
I think I agree. There are no euro bikes that get the dependability engineering you find from any Japanese model. Not sure where HD will find themselves, but they do have some experience with the powerplant and the suspension and brake systems appear to be designed for them.

I'm pretty sure the aftermarket workshops are already bending up crash pars, lighting systems, luggage and about every farkley thing one can imagine. In North America they have the dealer network, they are still the leading seller by $$$ and volume in the heavy segment of North America.

After sniffing around for an new FJR I decided to wait (having the dealer yank the motor and replace key transmission parts before taking delivery doesn`t excite me). Last night I read the Canadian list is $20K on the PAN AM, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking it might be worth a look.

Or, you could buy an actual motorcycle.

200819-2020-Yamaha-Tenere-700-with-Works-Finish-RS-12-ADV-Slip-on-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom