Pan America | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pan America

I'm surprised at the complete lack of sound released on this bike. One video had a bit, but when you had a chance of hearing the motor, they cranked the music. Sure, it won't have potato potato, but a V-twin can sound good nonetheless.

For those who really want to know, this vid gives a good idea of the real numbers

I think at this point must are wanting to go to a lighter mid weight adventure bike and move away from the big heavy bikes
The basic bike is 50lbs lighter than a GS, same weight as a KTM1290, and just 45 more than a yammie T700, the lightest of the midweights.

The extra bulk is nice if for distance work.

I'm surprised at the complete lack of sound released on this bike. One video had a bit, but when you had a chance of hearing the motor, they cranked the music. Sure, it won't have potato potato, but a V-twin can sound good nonetheless.
Interesting I might try one out when it is time for a new bike.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Maybe they are trying to attract new riders, where sound isn't as important to some in the cruiser market.
Pretty sure I read/heard the jugs are at 60 instead of the typical 45 so the sound will be different.

A closer look at the new Revolution-X engine. Self adjusting valves and timing chains that are easily replaced. It will be interesting to see if it lives up to specs on the dyno.

A closer look at the new Revolution-X engine. Self adjusting valves and timing chains that are easily replaced. It will be interesting to see if it lives up to specs on the dyno.

I was in Mackies last week, they said they will have a display model by May, and sold 3 already.

It is the first Harley I would consider see how it goes for the first year owners then next spring I may pick one up.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

There's going to be bugs in it for sure, like there was with the M8. It will take a year or two for those to be addressed. What I like about it is the low amount of plastic used in the design, which adds to the bikes durability IMO. I don't expect my plastic KTM to last more than a few years because it's all plastic.

Kinda surprised there haven't been rider reviews yet (unless I have missed it), since we are almost a month out.

There's going to be bugs in it for sure, like there was with the M8. It will take a year or two for those to be addressed. What I like about it is the low amount of plastic used in the design, which adds to the bikes durability IMO. I don't expect my plastic KTM to last more than a few years because it's all plastic.
Not sure if the oil transferrance issue has been finally solved on the M8. The new bikes for 2021 have switched back to cable clutches instead of hydraulic ones. On another forum someone mentioned the reason was to deal with that issue.

That's a good article. This is a state-of-the-art engine, and the performance figures are very high. Separate variable valve timing on intake and exhaust (means 4 separate VVT actuators). I know of no other motorcycle engine with that (some car engines have it). Two balance shafts. One thing this engine is not, is simple. Hopefully they've done their homework to make sure it's reliable.

It isn't going to sound like a normal Harley engine. 60 degree bank angle plus 30 degree offset crankpins means same firing pattern as a 90-degree V-twin ... it's going to sound more like a Ducati (if it isn't muffled into Euro5-compliant complete silence).

The dual-VVT plus liquid-cooling plus 13:1 compression ratio (no doubt facilitated by the use of 2 spark plugs per cylinder) sounds like they've been paying close attention to achieving compliance with emission standards.

I'm as curious as I have been in ages to see how the first road tests come out on this one. On paper, this bike ticks all the boxes. It's right in there with the competition on power, weight and price. It adds features that nobody else does, like the automatic ride height. Even the looks, which are definitely polarising, fit in the segment, where most bikes seem to wear ugly as a badge of honour and signifier of toughness.

This could be the first bike in memory where you don't need to add the "for a Harley" qualifier when talking about its functional ability...

I like two things about this bike...no valve adjustments, and the adjustable ride height thing that lowers the bike at a stop. I’ve had more than a few “oh ****” moments on the KTM on dodgy ground as it’s pretty tall. Other than that...if I was going to spend that much cash I’d be looking at a fully farkled KTM first followed by the BMW.

Although if the bike comes with an HD branded jockstrap and socks that might change my mind.

I like two things about this bike...no valve adjustments, and the adjustable ride height thing that lowers the bike at a stop. I’ve had more than a few “oh ****” moments on the KTM on dodgy ground as it’s pretty tall. Other than that...if I was going to spend that much cash I’d be looking at a fully farkled KTM first followed by the BMW.
I've heard rumblings that possibly the valve adjustment has been replaced by a valve system check, so that's possibly not a complete cost delete. No idea what it would take to do, though.

It's also supposedly 40+ lbs lighter than the KTM wet (with the heaviest suspension option), according to claimed numbers, but that's tough to get accurate unless a comparison actually puts both on a scale.

Cost-wise, it's a good bit cheaper than the BMW and Ducati, and a bit more expensive than the KTM and Africa Twin.

Although if the bike comes with an HD branded jockstrap and socks that might change my mind.
This is actually a big obstacle for new customers. If you're not a Harley guy, do you actually want to brave an HD dealership to shop? It's definitely a barrier for some, even if the bike turns out to be amazing...

I've heard rumblings that possibly the valve adjustment has been replaced by a valve system check, so that's possibly not a complete cost delete. No idea what it would take to do, though.

It's also supposedly 40+ lbs lighter than the KTM wet (with the heaviest suspension option), according to claimed numbers, but that's tough to get accurate unless a comparison actually puts both on a scale.

Cost-wise, it's a good bit cheaper than the BMW and Ducati, and a bit more expensive than the KTM and Africa Twin.

This is actually a big obstacle for new customers. If you're not a Harley guy, do you actually want to brave an HD dealership to shop? It's definitely a barrier for some, even if the bike turns out to be amazing...
I've had the same problem at some BMW dealerships. Sales are pricks and would rather spend time trying to sell the expensive cars so they can make more.

Or it could be a benefit. When I go to the HD dealer is feels like a motorcycle dealer, lots of bikes around, parts, all moto related. Not like some other places which have mixed motorsport stuff going on, or it's part of a car dealership and feels like an addon.
Plus I've met many other riders at the dealer and shoot the chit with them about all kinds of stuff. (y) Nothing to brave the staff is always polite and welcoming, sometimes annoying actually...:rolleyes: (jk)

Last time i was in a HD dealer was last summer to buy my grandkids electric bikes. All the staff there at BlackBridge looked like they would fit in at any bike shop. I felt very welcome. This is in sharp contrast to the way it used to be.

Back
Top Bottom