Orangeville Couple down in Cali | GTAMotorcycle.com

Orangeville Couple down in Cali

karigotu

Site Supporter
http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2013-...e_couple_in_critical_condition_following.html

Orangeville couple in critical condition following motorcycle accident

An Orangeville couple who were severely injured when they collided head-on with an SUV near Montecito, Californina remained in critical condition on Thursday.

According to a story from Noozhawk, emergency crews responded to the accident on the 800 block of Old Coast Highway, near the Montecito Country Club, at about 5:20 p.m. Wednesday.

The couple riding the motorcycle — James Atwood, 63, and Ellen Atwood, 59, suffered major injuries, said Officer Jaycee Hunter, and were both taken to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

Authorities have said both are expected to survive and have very severe injuries to their left legs. Earlier reports indicated at least one of them suffered an amputated arm.

The accident occurred as the pair were following another couple from Ontario on a motorcycle westbound on Old Coast Highway, Hunter said.

When the Toyota 4Runner SUV crossed over the center line, the first motorcycle was able to swerve out of the way, but the second was struck head-on, Hunter said.

The driver of the SUV — Martin Maguire, 51, of Montecito — was arrested on felony DUI charges, Hunter said, and appeared to be under the influence of several substances.

Maguire was booked into Santa Barbara County Jail, with bail set at $100,000, Lt. Paul McCaffrey said.

“It’s a horrible thing,” Hunter said. “Just two couples out having fun, and the day ended in a horrific manner.”

Immediately following the collision, several bystanders rendered aid to the couple, who had shipped their Harley Davidson bikes down from Canada with the intent of taking an extended tour of the United States, McCaffrey said.

One of those bystanders, a U.S. Army soldier recently deployed in Afghanistan, “applied a tourniquet to one of the injured riders that possibly saved their lives due to massive bleeding,” he said.

Old Coast Highway was closed for several hours while the accident was being investigated and the wreckage cleared.

— We thank Noozhawk and staff writer Gina Potthoff for the use of her story. She can be reached at gpotthoff@noozhawk.com

Good lord....GWS riders.

Sad news indeed... A DUI to boot

Crossed over the center line?! Drunk head effing retard...
GWR, hope you both recover.

I vote eye for an eye with DUI driver. Hit him with a car at speed and see if he learns his lesson.

GWS riders.

The couple are my friends parents. I have not heard any updates. GWS

Unfortunate event that should have never happened. Prayers are with you both on your road to recovery. GWS.

That is very unfortunate... I still cannot believe how many people just dont give a **** about driving drunk... Why is it so hard to just take a cab... $20-50 depending how far you are and you get home safe and don't have to answer to anyone... Can you imagine being the Rav4 driver?? coming to your senses after being smashed just to be told you're completely ****ED FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!

As for the eye-for-an-eye policy... not that I'm in congruence with the statement, however people need motivation to stop drinking and driving clearly! putting up MADD posters and running the occasional add doesn't quite cut it... and people start anticipating and learning the locations of RIDE campaigns so those aren't as effective either.

I recommend a good hard beating with mild-to-moderate permanent damage that is visible to the public... (mash-up the face maybe?, and leave a MADD scar on the forehead?) After a few, people will start to pay attention and the deterrent will be significant enough... FFS all people are worried about with a DUI is that they wont be able to drive or insure a car for a few years...

Anyway... my complete apologies for side tracking. I hope the couple gets well soon and it is such a tragedy to hear that at least one of them had an arm amputated... to boot, it will likely end up with them not being able to walk for a signfiicant amount of time in light of the major damage to their left legs.

Best wishes

Sad news :( GWS riders

that is utterly horrible, I wish the best in recovery to them, and the worst to the drunk driver.

So sad, they waited and saved to ship their bikes for an "extended tour" and then get totaled and maimed, probably early in the ride. GWS riders
Sobering news for us ants saving for when we can have some fun.

Back
Top Bottom