Oil Patch and Alberta | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil Patch and Alberta

Jason Kennedy is on live right now talking some kind of weird language. Something something valuable resource.....has the idiot seen his oil price?

Pretty sure they don't get it, I am also pretty sure it will all be the fault of someone else that they hinge everything on oil and most likely JT.... like he controls the global price of oil...

Currently the shipping cost is higher than the cost per barrel.

Ahhhh....I see....Kenney is still pushing the “dangerous regimes oil” crap. That’s his only gambit.

didn't know about the $3,200/month

not arguing, I'm just bored :)

EI max is $573/week gross
breaks down to $81.85/day
$2,445/month before tax for a 30 day month

is the $3,200 a special thing?
If company revenue has dropped by at least 30%, JT covers 75% of your salary. If I understand correctly, max salary is ~58,000 so that pays ~40,000. He would like but does not require employer to pay the remaining 25%. This works if the company keeps you on the payroll instead of dumping you to ei.

Reactions: J_F
Canada had a national energy plan, it was not totally fair but it could have been a start. It was implemented during peak (at the time) global oil prices, and over the duration of the plan global prices lost 2/3 of their value. The Alberta economy fell apart (of course, global prices fell by a huge amount) and it was all senior's and the nation energy plan's fault....never so much as a mention of about global prices... you still hear Albertians crying about what was done to them by Senior and his energy plan.

Mulroney scrapped it, maybe they should have renegotiated it to be better for the west instead for the east. Live and die by the free market was preferred.

Reactions: J_F
given time and some adjustments
our NEP could be like Norway's Sovereign petroleum fund

but Albertans cried like 2 year olds

Let Ontario Freeze in the Dark!!
FVCK TRUDEAU!!

decided to give it to the oil co's for nothing
and we in Ontario get our oil from refineries in Sarnia
that comes via pipeline from Chicago, much of it from Alberta

but it's not Alberta oil
it's oil co oil, sold to us at market rate

the old man had some good ideas
junior doesn't have enough years left to get that wise

Canada had a national energy plan, it was not totally fair but it could have been a start. It was implemented during peak (at the time) global oil prices, and over the duration of the plan global prices lost 2/3 of their value. The Alberta economy fell apart (of course, global prices fell by a huge amount) and it was all senior's and the nation energy plan's fault....never so much as a mention of about global prices... you still hear Albertians crying about what was done to them by Senior and his energy plan.

Mulroney scrapped it, maybe they should have renegotiated it to be better for the west instead for the east. Live and die by the free market was preferred.
Problem is the West doesn't have the financial acumen to manage a fund of any type. They manage the public purse like oilpatch workers manage their paycheques. The west needed the East's money, political force, and mega-project management skills to develop and fund the oil patch and the distribution system that brought oil to markets.

I think Alberta is fooked unless they can find something else in the ground.

If company revenue has dropped by at least 30%, JT covers 75% of your salary. If I understand correctly, max salary is ~58,000 so that pays ~40,000. He would like but does not require employer to pay the remaining 25%. This works if the company keeps you on the payroll instead of dumping you to ei.

They need to release more details...
One of the criteria in the original plan (10% subsidy) was that the company had to be Canadian owned and controlled.
How many of the oil sands companies would qualify if that criteria remains?

They need to release more details...
One of the criteria in the original plan (10% subsidy) was that the company had to be Canadian owned and controlled.
How many of the oil sands companies would qualify if that criteria remains?
Dunno, not my area of expertise. I would guest most though. Even if the ultimate owner is overseas, having a canadian company spun up and canadian management makes sense for a lot of reasons. I am not sure if it was the operating entity itself that that applied to or whether they followed the path to the parent company.

Problem is the West doesn't have the financial acumen to manage a fund of any type. They manage the public purse like oilpatch workers manage their paycheques. The west needed the East's money, political force, and mega-project management skills to develop and fund the oil patch and the distribution system that brought oil to markets.

You have no idea (well you likely do...).... I technically own 1/9 of a decent size (but not a huge player) western oil company (well my wife does via inheritance, it is a family company), whenever I mention how things could be done better, talk about economics, etc. I am the ******* from Ontario.... last conf call I raised concerns about remediation if wells go bankrupt (shell companies but they also own the land...), there is a fund but it will not cover everything, again I am the *******..... When I mentioned investing profits (when there were profits) in solar or wind (huge hours of sunlight, plenty of wind), you guess what they called me.... Totally mismanaged, they have no idea what to do if the cash flow stops because they think it never will...well guess what...

Cows and oil just like Dallas (the TV show...), but instead of shooting JR they are shooting themselves in the foot. Found money for me, so if there is nothing left, oh well (pun intended), I tried....

Last edited:
So does this mean we will have cheap gas for awhile now?? Asking for a fellow rider....

So does this mean we will have cheap gas for awhile now?? Asking for a fellow rider....

Really up to the Saudis, when they are done arguing with the Russians it will all be done. IMO the most sustainable situation for the Saudis is $50 to $60 oil. They wanted to reduce production to keep it there via OPEC, Russians said no, fight was on (little simplified but the gist). Game of economic chicken IMO...

But in Alberta, that is all JT's fault...

So province by province who has the world by the short and curlies other than real estate in some markets?

As a sales rep I was waiting my turn to see a buyer. As he hung up on an agitated call he snarled to the guy on the phone "Name something you sell that I can't buy from someone else."

"Name something you sell that I can't buy from someone else."
And that right there is why a lot of business owners drastically overvalue their business and can't find a buyer that will touch their price. Sure it may make money, but what are you buying that couldn't be easily recreated?

There are some products and services with very few competent players so they can print money. If it's too easy to figure out though, save your money as there will be someone coming for you.

As a sales rep I was waiting my turn to see a buyer. As he hung up on an agitated call he snarled to the guy on the phone "Name something you sell that I can't buy from someone else."

Thats where arrogant buyers get my smile and a wave. Its a long road and sometimes there is a u turn in it. Maybe today nothing, and then I get the distribution rights to a product you need, and I'm the only source in your buying area, and then there is multiple sources and the mill has a fire and you could buy it from somebody else, but I own the only supply left right now.
For every cocky salesweasel there is an equally arrogant buyer that thinks he's in the drivers seat. Play the long game.

Thats where arrogant buyers get my smile and a wave. Its a long road and sometimes there is a u turn in it. Maybe today nothing, and then I get the distribution rights to a product you need, and I'm the only source in your buying area, and then there is multiple sources and the mill has a fire and you could buy it from somebody else, but I own the only supply left right now.
For every cocky salesweasel there is an equally arrogant buyer that thinks he's in the drivers seat. Play the long game.

To be honest he was a smarmy sleazeball but he did know how to shop. I got along well enough with the rest of the company to tolerate him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom