Norton goes bankrupt | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Norton goes bankrupt

The demise of the British motorcycle industry in 76/76/78 is well documented, a trilogy of global events coming together. The Japanese, misjudging the North American market by about 100% (Edward Turner famously quoting, 'the market will never need anything beyond a 650 twin') and available low cost cars, the motorcycle was no longer a working mans transport.
Look at the British marques that disappeared in the 1930's.
Undercapitalised vanity projects usually go this way. Somebody will pick up the brand and it will be back.

The demise of the British motorcycle industry in 76/76/78 is well documented, a trilogy of global events coming together. The Japanese, misjudging the North American market by about 100% (Edward Turner famously quoting, 'the market will never need anything beyond a 650 twin') and available low cost cars, the motorcycle was no longer a working mans transport.
Look at the British marques that disappeared in the 1930's.
Undercapitalised vanity projects usually go this way. Somebody will pick up the brand and it will be back.
I also think the demise was simply not enough design and build expertise. British were 20 years behind in design and build capability, their engineering practices limited innovation and reaction time. Changing that proved to be impossible and their once dominant position quickly disappeared. German's learned from the Japanese, Italians fumbled along with gov't subsidies as did Americans, Japanese invested in racing and purpose building in distinct categories to drive innovation.

Not that I could afford a top end Norton. That`s one problem. Delivery times where not exactly within a few weeks, months and months, maybe even next year. Getting parts.
I always had the impression they where trying to be toooooooo exclusive. Similiar to owning a Aston Martin.

I remember the days when it was exclusive to have a "TriNorton" That is way back when I owned a Truimph 500 5T. Even then with Smiths gauges and some electrics. Where useless. Avoided them ever since.
They have been around a long time. Shame.

Ducati has had its share of mismanagement prior to being acquired by the efficient germans

Fair, but that's what's needed to save this brand. A efficiently run machine with marketing clout, which seems to be the German automotive mantra since the 2000's. VAG has managed Ducati well since buying it in 2012; they have also done exceedingly well with Lamborghini, Bugatti, Porsche, and Bentley.

I hope BMW will step up and make a pitch for Norton. The Norton brand is iconic and their designs are very nice. Just need the marketing powerhouse behind it and a maintenance/distribution network which BMW has in spades. For that matter, BMW should make a pitch for Lotus and Norton as a package deal.

Last line of my above post, undercapitalised projects.
You either build an Egli Vincent and people are 'ok' with a 2 year waiting list, a $50k deposit to get on the list, or you try and do like Norton and hit some level of production. And to be any thing but a very limited boutique you need enormous cash resources to able to build a road product that meets requirements of the market.
Anybody remember the Hesketh? complete vanity project by a British Lord that forgot millionaires need other millionaires to support a project.

A book called "An Apprenticeship" is a real case study in what happened to the British bike business, millwork machines and lathes from the second world war, tolerances so out of whack that shims were installed all over, parts rejection by the bushel , and the now famous Union problems.
Complete resistance by the 'nationalized' industry to invest in tooling or design, and a failure to recognize opportunity.

Not that I could afford a top end Norton. That`s one problem. Delivery times where not exactly within a few weeks, months and months, maybe even next year. Getting parts.
I always had the impression they where trying to be toooooooo exclusive. Similiar to owning a Aston Martin.

I remember the days when it was exclusive to have a "TriNorton" That is way back when I owned a Truimph 500 5T. Even then with Smiths gauges and some electrics. Where useless. Avoided them ever since.
They have been around a long time. Shame.

Actually the latest incarnation hasn't been around that long. they bought engine designs etc. from Kenney Dreer in the US I think.

Norvin still manufactures OEM Norton parts, and I THINK assembles complete bikes as well. I have been satisfied with the quality of their parts and they seem superior to the original ones I'm taking off.

It would be nice if another manufacturer buys it, but really what are they buying? Triumph's Speed Twins are a good bike and direct competition to the new Norton (perhaps superior) and retail for several thousands less. I don't believe the Nostalgia market/fad is a bottomless or endless one.

Oh boy that brings back many memories. Used to hang out at the Ace Cafe amd the Busy Bee. Phew that ages me. `Nough said. Was a Rocker. I had a clothing item that still fits me today. A scarf. Lol. Not really. I think I had a silk scarf though.

Reactions: J_F
Fair, but that's what's needed to save this brand. A efficiently run machine with marketing clout, which seems to be the German automotive mantra since the 2000's. VAG has managed Ducati well since buying it in 2012; they have also done exceedingly well with Lamborghini, Bugatti, Porsche, and Bentley.

I hope BMW will step up and make a pitch for Norton. The Norton brand is iconic and their designs are very nice. Just need the marketing powerhouse behind it and a maintenance/distribution network which BMW has in spades. For that matter, BMW should make a pitch for Lotus and Norton as a package deal.
of all the MC brands I can think of, the best to buy Norton is RE. First, they are familiar with the design and setup of vintage designs, the have a giant domestic market that supports them, they have the low cost modern assembly that can be tooled for small volume bodywork and assembly. It also gives them some bigger bikes, needed to enter North America.

of all the MC brands I can think of, the best to buy Norton is RE. First, they are familiar with the design and setup of vintage designs, the have a giant domestic market that supports them, they have the low cost modern assembly that can be tooled for small volume bodywork and assembly. It also gives them some bigger bikes, needed to enter North America.
That seems like a decent fit if they have the dough. Most other buyers (eg VW, BMW) have too much overlap between Norton and their existing offerings and would probably kill most of the range off except for the name. Norton's line and RE are almost mutually exclusive. I don't know if the typical Norton buyer would be impressed by RE ownership though. That is a lot of scratch for what could be perceived as an Indian bike.

I guess HD could also work, they know heritage and how to extract money from branding.

can't see the brand being resurrected as anything other than a trademark
no one wants a British sport bike
and there's already market saturation for air cooled parallel twin retros
see RE and Triumph

sure HD does the Heritage thing well
but they've proven their ability to kill a sister brand
I'd think they are more of a buyout target than to do the buying

RE probably has the capital and fills a similar market segment
but like mentioned, they sell $6k bikes
where are they going to sell $15k bikes? India?

after the creditors have been stiffed
someone will buy the trademark for nothing
and make bank selling T-shirts

I can’t see RE being a better suitor over BMW as Norton is a premium product which meshes well with BMW’s brand.

I think a Royal Enfield connection almost devalues the prestige.

But I’m happy to be proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t see RE being a better suitor over BMW as Norton is a premium product which meshes well with BMW’s brand.

I think a Royal Enfield connection almost devalues the prestige.

But I’m happy to be proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Norton is a nostalgia brand, just a brand. No technology, no manufacturing assets, and no distribution. I doubt anyone riding today actually witnessed a Norton in a race so there little but nostalgia and as others have said... tshirts.

At best a Norton post war has been a poorly designed, poorly built motorcycle. But it is certainly nostalgically cool.

The recent owners were cobbling other manufacturer’s motors, frames together in more of a custom build model, another recipe for disaster.

Perhaps there is a market for a nostalgic recreation of a Norton, but not likely by a mainstream manufacturer. My thoughts on RE are simple. 1) They have a large protected domestic market and no real competition. The could sell them domestically to get critical build volumes then possibly export. 2) they have experience and are tooled to build this type of MC 3) they have the capability and parts supply to cover many of the English design elements of a Norton.

What's wrong with Chinese purchasing the company?
Volvo is turning out much better than I expected. Geely also has Lotus and no world bike brand (some 50 to 250 cc air-cooled econobikes). Volvo seems to be heavily investing in electric so crossover tech for a Lightning competitor is not out of the question in that scenario either.

Anyone else remember the failed Indian motorcycle resurrection back in the late 80s (i think) Some guy in California talked investors out of millions. They found out too late that he had started writing a book entitled "the rise and fall of Indian" before anything had even been produced.

Volvo is turning out much better than I expected. Geely also has Lotus and no world bike brand (some 50 to 250 cc air-cooled econobikes). Volvo seems to be heavily investing in electric so crossover tech for a Lightning competitor is not out of the question in that scenario either.
The difference is that Volvo was a real company. They had technology, manufacturing technology, distribution and most important... revenue.

The difference is that Volvo was a real company. They had technology, manufacturing technology, distribution and most important... revenue.
Geely has technology, manufacturing technology, distribution and revenue. They could throw norton in the Volvo showrooms like BMW Motorad. Not a bad match. Old people with money are probably the Norton target market (although the Volvo safety crowd wouldn't want any part of a bike).

Geely has technology, manufacturing technology, distribution and revenue. They could throw norton in the Volvo showrooms like BMW Motorad. Not a bad match. Old people with money are probably the Norton target market (although the Volvo safety crowd wouldn't want any part of a bike).
Where are the Germans going to find a workforce trained to bends pipes, stickwelds frames, install harness smoke, and fit shims by hand on everything that doesn't fit right?

Back
Top Bottom