Norton goes bankrupt | GTAMotorcycle.com

Norton goes bankrupt

Unfortunate to hear. Theyve been around for quite some time and make very (in my opinion) beautiful and timeless machines!

If you seriously wanted to be the next "norton" , let it burn and collect the ashes for pennies on the dollar. Sure all the suppliers would say ' not us this time!!' , and three months later they would line up to be a supplier....

Less than 9 million in sales? Damn. It is almost impossible to win with those kind of numbers.

Some recent history of Norton:

... so your best hope of reviving Norton Motorcycles is a Chinese company.
... and the new "Dommi", which looked more like an Atlas than a Dommi, was MOSTLY made in China
... and their IOM "racer" was a Spondon frame with a MV motor.
... and just so you know: there was point, in recent times, when "Norton Motorcycle" was a Tshirt company.

Who could have foreseen this? Anyone paying attention.

Anyone want to buy a REAL Norton? I have a '56 Dommi, a '70 750 Combat Commando and a 850 Commando for sale.

yeah, same thing happened to Triumph awhile back
trademark was purchased and the bikes we see on the road now bear that name
but there is no connection to the old Triumph bikes

I think the only option left if you want a new-traditional English bike, is RE
but this being GTAM, someone will waste their Sunday to prove me wrong

I still remember the first time I laid eyes on one of the modern-retro triumphs, was like love at first sight

Was the only sub-60 year old in that crowd drooling over that beauty

While Norton reported sales of US$8.7M in 2019, its pre-tax profits were only US$43,860. In addition, it owes the UK government some £300,000 in unpaid taxes.

Yikes.

Pity, I really liked the Norton but their bikes were way too overpriced for the millennial crowd. Ducati is a marketing powerhouse; Norton just seemed to rest on their laurels, and that hasn't paid off in the long term.

I recall seeing Norton back around 2015ish with a display at Mosport with there current two models on display and they were hunting for orders. I've loved them for many years before this and came close around that time of getting one to replace one of my SS bikes but hearing of people who had deposits for a year with still no bike delivered and the sales guy telling me "well we're trying to get to the customers now with deliveries" didn't inspire confidence in purchasing one.
Still beauty bikes though.

Yikes.

Pity, I really liked the Norton but their bikes were way too overpriced for the millennial crowd. Ducati is a marketing powerhouse; Norton just seemed to rest on their laurels, and that hasn't paid off in the long term.

Ducati has had its share of mismanagement prior to being acquired by the efficient germans

CCM are doing some interesting things. I dont care that its Sunday. My 2008 Triumph was built in England.

I've owned more English designed and manufactured POS than most Englishmen (and I'm no way connected to England). The English lost their way with electrical and mechanical engineering after WWII. They did OK with styling and marketing -- just couldn't get the quality into design and build.

After working in England for a year I learned the postwar engineering culture was typically based on tenure, not capability. As such 60 year old engineers led designs and made all critical design decisions. Young engineers did delegated work until tenured, as a result everything the Brits designed was 20+ years behind. Eventually Brits fell so far behind their their brands got sold to companies with modern design and build capability.

Strange that the best selling British designed vehicle is nearly 70 years old (RE) and still in production today.

I've owned more English designed and manufactured POS than most Englishmen (and I'm no way connected to England). The English lost their way with electrical and mechanical engineering after WWII. They did OK with styling and marketing -- just couldn't get the quality into design and build.

After working in England for a year I learned the postwar engineering culture was typically based on tenure, not capability. As such 60 year old engineers led designs and made all critical design decisions. Young engineers did delegated work until tenured, as a result everything the Brits designed was 20+ years behind. Eventually Brits fell so far behind their their brands got sold to companies with modern design and build capability.

Strange that the best selling British designed vehicle is nearly 70 years old (RE) and still in production today.

yeah Thatcher frigged it all up ?

yeah Thatcher frigged it all up ?
Maybe, but by the time she got there the damage was done. There was no way to make up 20 years of engineering in both product and production. I have a 69 Triumph and a 71 Suzuki in the garage, similar size and type bikes. The welding, metal forming, casting, electrical -- hell even the sewing quality differences would think there are 2 decades between production -- not 26 months. If you looks at the mechanical and electrical you be the same 20 years apart.

Back
Top Bottom