Norton goes bankrupt | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Norton goes bankrupt

I think RE will keep the singles going -- they serve a market that uses small displacement motorcycles designed for fuel efficiency and for use on rugged terrain. Their latest Himalayan is an example of them furthering the big one-lung. My guess is they mat take that from a 400 up to 600-650 as that bike is getting some international attraction as a rugged yet inexpensive adventure bike. The KLR retirement left a hole in the market, perhaps the RE Himalayan will fill it.
Not here, unless they find some dealers. 3 in all of Ontario ? Come on RE, you can do better.

I think RE will keep the singles going -- they serve a market that uses small displacement motorcycles designed for fuel efficiency and for use on rugged terrain. Their latest Himalayan is an example of them furthering the big one-lung. My guess is they mat take that from a 400 up to 600-650 as that bike is getting some international attraction as a rugged yet inexpensive adventure bike. The KLR retirement left a hole in the market, perhaps the RE Himalayan will fill it.
With a 2 valve head :unsure: that would have very been impressive 100 years ago.

Singles will always be around... simple reasoning, singles are the cheapest motor to build.
Actually I think electrics are cheaper but the batteries are expensive as $%^&

Rode a vintage Brit built one at a CVMG rally once, it was brutal fun.
My Triumph TR25W was converted to a late 60's BSA trial bike when I got it. I still have the 8"TLS front hub and 21" front wheel, polished alloy fenders (sold the monza capped alloy tank for more than the bike was worth), serrated pegs, and a pillion seat jammed forward for the rider. I first used this as my cottage road bike -- it mostly pounded roads and trails around Sharbot Lake. It was brutal fun.

One like this with even more modern frame brakes and suspension bits would be nice (y) should be able to bring it home for about 20 grand
:sneaky: if you can find a perfect used Norton one lung engine missing everything else. Would still be extreme exercise riding it, seeing as the motor alone weighs in more then an entire modern trials bike.

eddie-dobson-norton.jpg

It gets worse. Norton’s owner failed to show at a legal hearing over pension fraud.

R-E is not abandoning singles yet, the 350 is slated to carry on. In many South Asia countries you cant import anything over 500cc so if your selling to the biggest market in the world , its smart to make a product you can sell there.
R-E is so well financed they can do almost whatever they want in the industry, parent company are giants. (Eicher Motors)
RE, is continuing the 350 single (in it's various forms) a d the 650 twin. Apparent the 500 is doing dropped.
Another resurrected brand is "Jawa"

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

I read about the reboot of Jawa, not everybody is happy about it. Other than amazing speedway bikes , and some really odd 2 stroke street bikes we didnt see much of them in Canada

Back
Top Bottom