Northern Roads Conditions v. 2017 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Northern Roads Conditions v. 2017

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Went out for a ride today and the roads were pretty good for early April.
So here we go for another season!

507 - pretty clean, just a light film of dust
Glamorgan Rd - Pretty clean, but tons of new frost heaves heading northbound
Hwy 118 - Very clean for the section we were on it
Essonville Line: Sandy in some spots where the tighter turns are - for the most part clean in the tire tracks
Loop Rd: Nice and clean
South Baptiste Lake Rd: Very sandy
Lower Faraday: Pretty sandy, but tire tracks are ok
Northey's Bay Road: Still sandy

Went out for a ride today and the roads were pretty good for early April.
So here we go for another season!

507 - pretty clean, just a light film of dust
Glamorgan Rd - Pretty clean, but tons of new frost heaves heading northbound
Hwy 118 - Very clean for the section we were on it
Essonville Line: Sandy in some spots where the tighter turns are - for the most part clean in the tire tracks
Loop Rd: Nice and clean
South Baptiste Lake Rd: Very sandy
Lower Faraday: Pretty sandy, but tire tracks are ok
Northey's Bay Road: Still sandy

Thanks for this...probably not heading up that way until closer to the end of the month, but was wondering what they were like now.

Aside from the above, wondering if anyone knows the conditions of the following:

- Dyno Rd
- Mount Horeb
- Ski Hill Road
- Lakeshore Rd (Newcastle -> Port Hope)

Also is 57 still a crapshoot due to construction, or did they actually finish that up last November? (last ride I remember they had torn the asphalt up both around Viewlake and also near where the 407 will pass through).

Last edited:
Thanks for this...probably not heading up that way until closer to the end of the month, but was wondering what they were like now.

Aside from the above, wondering if anyone knows the conditions of the following:

- Dyno Rd
- Mount Horeb
- Ski Hill Road
- Lakeshore Rd (Newcastle -> Port Hope)

Also is 57 still a crapshoot due to construction, or did they actually finish that up last November? (last ride I remember they had torn the asphalt up both around Viewlake and also near where the 407 will pass through).

Dyno road was real ducky last months... mainly sand covered ice with (usually) a small stop of pavement showing. We don't go on it yesterday but I can't imagine it being anything other than very Sandy.

After lower Faraday Rd and before North-s Bay Rd we were on 504 which carried on the theme of some Sandy spots.

..Tom

Dunno about you GTA guys but we have heavy rain forecast Kingston way. Hopefully it's the end of winter road wash.

Any ideas on 35 and 13?

Keep in mind with the crap that hit us on Friday April 7th, they were out dumping fresh salt and sand everywhere, especially up north. So any reports of roads that had been washed clean, may no longer be in the same state.

45, 35, 118, 169 are all good. Muskoka Beach rd and Southwood Rd are both very sandy. Southwood Rd is a very technical run with the sand etc, I had a blast.
@Conundrum is right though, everything has a white dust covering again.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Easter weekend:
Highway #518 East from Parry Sound to Orrville is great.
Highway #518 East from Orrville to Sprucedale has "LOTS OF SAND" on the twistiest.

I'm not even gonna ask about southwood lol

Southwood is **** but you knew that,lol

maybe Jim Jones (reincarnate)of the people's temple can organize a ride for southwood and we can all go for a dip in the swamp :) lol

Last edited:
Was riding Friday. 507 was good, Glamorgan Rd is a bit bumpy, Elephant Lk rd / Peterson Rd has some sand but not too bad. We had to behave :)

Did a long tour/mini adventure a few days ago, near the Muskoka/Rosseau region

26 is full of sand, in the middle of the road, on the corners...I stayed in 2nd gear, lots of twisties and a nice view though.

On the plus side 7/Peninsula rd/632 is INCREDIBLE! The locals told me the pavement was recently done, so no gravel/sand, very smooth, full of beautiful twisties and a gorgeous view....

141 is good too, cant believe the number of awesome roads up there...will return with more time on my hands next time.

Makes the forks look like a joke

Could probably spend a whole week up there and still barely scratch the surface

Mid summer update as of today:

Southwood Rd - as mentioned in another thread, sandy in some corners and quite bumpy, but fun if you're careful. A construction crew was out filling potholes
Mortimers Pt Rd/Foreman Rd - Great shape, Foreman Rd had fresh tarmac put down, lotsa grip!
Peninsula Rd/632 - perfect
Tally Ho Swords - perfect
518 - perfect (freshly paved??)

Mid summer update as of today:

Southwood Rd - as mentioned in another thread, sandy in some corners and quite bumpy, but fun if you're careful. A construction crew was out filling potholes
Mortimers Pt Rd/Foreman Rd - Great shape, Foreman Rd had fresh tarmac put down, lotsa grip!
Peninsula Rd/632 - perfect
Tally Ho Swords - perfect
518 - perfect (freshly paved??)

Thank you very much.

Not sure if other's have noticed the same thing, but Dyno Rd seems worse this year compared to last...lots of uneven pavement and potholes. Was far from perfect before, and seems worse now.

Back
Top Bottom