No more searching for pink slips | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No more searching for pink slips

After following this thread I'm left with a couple questions?

How often do you have to show your insurance? I haven't been pulled over on the bike or in the truck in probably 10 years.

As for the convenience notion I don't find opening an envelope, pulling the slip, inserting it into the little folder and tossing it into the glove box or into the pocket on my riding jacket to be much of a PITA. If the insurance companies make it mandatory or threaten to charge for the slips then I'll put it on my phone.

How does not giving much of a sh*t about the format of my insurance card, but being wary of handing a cop potential access to unrequired personal information make me a paranoid, underdeveloped "luddite"?

Some people enjoy f*&king around with their phones, downloading this and that, prattling on about their aps and taking superfluous pictures about nothing, and if that's what they like then good for them. Just don't ask me to give a crap.

Personally i don’t care what anyone else does, but to dismiss the option as ******* around for the sake of doing so is about as bad as calling someone names for not adopting it.

In the last couple of years or so, the MTO, Service Ontario and the police have insurance information that is electronic and shared by the insurance industry. But if you get pulled over and the cop asks for proof of insurance (the pink slip or your phone pic) and you don't produce it, you are given a ticket, yet he could check that info on his computer. It's there.

As we enter the electronic age, old laws die hard (the law that says you must carry "proof of insurance"), and we get fined for nonsense like this!
Cops don't have acces to your personal insurance information, only the Insurer and Policy number you provided on the MOT form for your last plate renewal.

Personally i don’t care what anyone else does, but to dismiss the option as ******* around for the sake of doing so is about as bad as calling someone names for not adopting it.

Oh please. Maybe follow your moniker and relax.

Last edited:
1 billion apple devices in use. Growing Apple watch market with Apple pay.

I don't use it but Apple's reach is pretty extensive.

1. Aug 20, 2019 - Learn how to easily and securely pay with Apple Pay in stores, restaurants, within apps, on the web, and more. ... With your iPhone or Apple Watch, you can use Apple Pay wherever you see one of these symbols. ... To use your default card, double-click the side button, then glance at your ...

it's not just mobile pay but you use your fingerprint idea from your MacBook Pro for verification for online purchased.

@PrivatePilot arguments around the security of digital payments / wallets are all true. The technology is brilliant, and should simplify your wallet and reduces many types of fraud. Don't forget to carry your plastic -- you'll need it for a few more years for ATMs, in-person banking, at many merchants and for online purchasing.

The Achilles heel to ApplePay is adoption. Almost all large North American retailers take Applepay today, but they only makeup 10% of the card terminal market, the remaining 90% are small merchants who are slowly deploying ApplePay. It's installed into about 1/3rd of the market, and of those merchants, about 1/3rd have rolled out the service. ApplePay locked it to Apple products only -- a major issue since fewer than 50% of all consumers carry an Apple device. If you do the math, you'll see a relatively small number of transactions are processed using ApplePay.

My crystal ball says ApplePay will have a relatively short life. Numerous digital wallets already exist (Apple, Amazon, Samsung, Google, PayPal, Interac, VISA, AMEX and every major bank have the fintech). Apple dove in first, I suspect they will get crushed under a Google bus in the next few years when Google gets around to unleashing their ubiquitous offering.

Umm. Where to start.

It's evident you don't understand ApplePay. It works in effectively 100% of the market here in Canada because it functions identical to interac tap, using the exact same standards. It IS just another run of the mill tap payment. Except instead of giving the retailer your actual card details, they get the virtual tokenized card details. In other words, Privacy.

ANY payment terminal that accepts ANY tap/contactless card (which is 99.9% of terminals out there now short of a few USA conglomerates still stuck in the USA payment system dark ages, *cough*, Walmart) accepts ApplePay because anywhere that accepts any tap cards...accepts ApplePay by default. There is no special adoption or hardware setup needed. It just works.

The same goes for around the world - anywhere that takes tap cards will take ApplePay. A friend used it everywhere in Switzerland a few months ago because it was easier than carrying around a bunch of cash. I used it in St. Maarten 3 or 4 years ago.

Not sure where you got your adoption numbers from...a several year old US based article perhaps, but even in the USA now where some retailers still take cheques (geesh) and chip and pin cards with tap are just starting to reach sorta mainstream (we were there over a decade++ ago) it's reaching critical mass. I used my ApplePay fairly frequently on my last trip to the USA. I used it EVERYWHERE here for all my cards - aside from pay at the pump gas pumps where you still need my physical card (And give it time, that too will change) I haven't used any of my physical cards at a retailer in probably 3 months - I ApplePay everything.

In short, virtually the only place in the world where ApplePay won't work ubiquitously is the USA, and it's only because they're just now being dragged kicking and streaming into modern day payment standards the rest of the world came onboard with a decade or more ago. They still use magstripe for a huge percentage of their payments - THAT'S the issue. It has nothing to do with needing special adoption of any sort there either, it has everything to do with the fact that they don't even freakin' support tap payments yet at a lot of places.

BTW, this also causes competitors like GooglePay/AndroidPay to be DOA as well, so there's no competitive advantage to be had - if ApplePay won't work, they don't work either. SamsungPay does have an EMV emulation that will allow it to work on oldschool magstripe systems in the USA where they're still using 1980's technology, but there's a LOT of security risks with that setup, so it's not one I'd use myself. Heck, magstripes SHOULD be killed off as a technology now, but it's places like the USA that still require it to continue to be on cards.

Here in Canada, if your card has a chip (and pretty much 100% of payment cards do now) you can't even use the magstripe anymore. Down there, heck, I saw someone writing a cheque at a dollar store last year.

In short, acceptance of mobile payments systems, ApplePay, GooglePay, et al *could* be 100% here. And it's growing rapidly.

Lastly, you should know....ApplePay has a higher saturation rate than GooglePay and AndroidPay combined. The only mobile payment system in north america that surpasses it is...the starbucks app, and only by a few percantage points. In short, ApplePay isn't going anywhere.

Umm. Where to start.

It's evident you don't understand ApplePay. It works in effectively 100% of the market here in Canada because it functions identical to interac tap, using the exact same standards. It IS just another run of the mill tap payment. Except instead of giving the retailer your actual card details, they get the virtual tokenized card details. In other words, Privacy.

ANY payment terminal that accepts ANY tap/contactless card (which is 99.9% of terminals out there now short of a few USA conglomerates still stuck in the USA payment system dark ages, *cough*, Walmart) accepts ApplePay because anywhere that accepts any tap cards...accepts ApplePay by default. There is no special adoption or hardware setup needed. It just works.

The same goes for around the world - anywhere that takes tap cards will take ApplePay. A friend used it everywhere in Switzerland a few months ago because it was easier than carrying around a bunch of cash. I used it in St. Maarten 3 or 4 years ago.

Not sure where you got your adoption numbers from...a several year old US based article perhaps, but even in the USA now where some retailers still take cheques (geesh) and chip and pin cards with tap are just starting to reach sorta mainstream (we were there over a decade++ ago) it's reaching critical mass. I used my ApplePay fairly frequently on my last trip to the USA. I used it EVERYWHERE here for all my cards - aside from pay at the pump gas pumps where you still need my physical card (And give it time, that too will change) I haven't used any of my physical cards at a retailer in probably 3 months - I ApplePay everything.

In short, virtually the only place in the world where ApplePay won't work ubiquitously is the USA, and it's only because they're just now being dragged kicking and streaming into modern day payment standards the rest of the world came onboard with a decade or more ago. They still use magstripe for a huge percentage of their payments - THAT'S the issue. It has nothing to do with needing special adoption of any sort there either, it has everything to do with the fact that they don't even freakin' support tap payments yet at a lot of places.

BTW, this also causes competitors like GooglePay/AndroidPay to be DOA as well, so there's no competitive advantage to be had - if ApplePay won't work, they don't work either. SamsungPay does have an EMV emulation that will allow it to work on oldschool magstripe systems in the USA where they're still using 1980's technology, but there's a LOT of security risks with that setup, so it's not one I'd use myself. Heck, magstripes SHOULD be killed off as a technology now, but it's places like the USA that still require it to continue to be on cards.

Here in Canada, if your card has a chip (and pretty much 100% of payment cards do now) you can't even use the magstripe anymore. Down there, heck, I saw someone writing a cheque at a dollar store last year.

In short, acceptance of mobile payments systems, ApplePay, GooglePay, et al *could* be 100% here. And it's growing rapidly.

Lastly, you should know....ApplePay has a higher saturation rate than GooglePay and AndroidPay combined. The only mobile payment system in north america that surpasses it is...the starbucks app, and only by a few percantage points. In short, ApplePay isn't going anywhere.
Thanks for that PP. What do you carry for a backup? Why couldn't this have been explained like you did in an intelligent manner the first time, instead of the aggressive/defensive way?
I can see myself adapting to this.

Thanks for that PP. What do you carry for a backup?

At this point, I still often carry my physical bank debit card, and one of my 2 Amex cards for situations where I may need them - typically, gas stations when we are out on the bike for pay-at-the-pump. I used my Amex card yesterday twice at gas pumps for example.

Now, if I didn't want to use pay at the pump and just went inside, tap would work for that as well, so I really wouldn't even need to carry them anymore for gas, but I prefer pay at the pump.

But 2 cards isn't the end of the world in my wallet given the fact I have so few left in there now (see previous post), and reality is for any payments over $100 you do need the physical card still - tap is typically limited at this amount for security purposes, although I can eventually see that limit being removed for mobile payment situations where biometrics are used before the payment is authorized. The $100 limit was initially put in place to avoid lost-card nightmare scenarios where someone could tap their way to emptying your bank account. Makes sense for your physical card, but makes little to no sense for a payment system that needs biometrics before it actually works. That will change, give it time.

Why couldn't this have been explained like you did in an intelligent manner the first time, instead of the aggressive/defensive way?
I can see myself adapting to this.

Sorry, I just automatically assume people have familiarized/educated themselves on a topic before being automatically against it, so that assumption leads to an opinion that "knowing what you know, how could you possibly be against this?!" more or less.

I need to stop forgetting that some people are against things because they just have a pre-formed opinion that isn't really necessarily based on the facts, and once they get said facts, their opinion can change. ;)

At this point, I still often carry my physical bank debit card, and one of my 2 Amex cards for situations where I may need them - typically, gas stations when we are out on the bike for pay-at-the-pump. I used my Amex card yesterday twice at gas pumps for example.

Now, if I didn't want to use pay at the pump and just went inside, tap would work for that as well, so I really wouldn't even need to carry them anymore for gas, but I prefer pay at the pump.

But 2 cards isn't the end of the world in my wallet given the fact I have so few left in there now (see previous post), and reality is for any payments over $100 you do need the physical card still - tap is typically limited at this amount for security purposes, although I can eventually see that limit being removed for mobile payment situations where biometrics are used before the payment is authorized. The $100 limit was initially put in place to avoid lost-card nightmare scenarios where someone could tap their way to emptying your bank account. Makes sense for your physical card, but makes little to no sense for a payment system that needs biometrics before it actually works. That will change, give it time.

Sorry, I just automatically assume people have familiarized/educated themselves on a topic before being automatically against it, so that assumption leads to an opinion that "knowing what you know, how could you possibly be against this?!" more or less.

I need to stop forgetting that some people are against things because they just have a pre-formed opinion that isn't really necessarily based on the facts, and once they get said facts, their opinion can change. ;)
I was somewhat uninformed on the subject. I assumed that this was only something you could do with an Apple product, and having just been forced to spend $400 on a new phone I'm not about to switch over.Jeesh, I'm still getting used to being on a fixed income. I was planning on working till late 60's.
It is good to get the facts.

I was somewhat uninformed on the subject. I assumed that this was only something you could do with an Apple product, and having just been forced to spend $400 on a new phone I'm not about to switch over.Jeesh, I'm still getting used to being on a fixed income. I was planning on working till late 60's.
It is good to get the facts.
I use Android pay all the time no issues and more secure than the card. Your phone needs nfc to use it though.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

My wife and I travelled to Burma (Myanmar) last winter. While there we me to an assortment of interesting people including a young couple in a long distance relationship, he having been born in Taiwan and living in Manhattan, and her born in Siberia and living in a city in China.

She was telling me that biometrics is common in her experience, particularly for everyday activities. For example, the building/complex where she lives has a grocery/convenience store on the ground floor which use a level of biometrics. The store has no staff and also acts as a pick up point for Alibaba shipments so access is controlled with a thumb print. According to her, when shopping the items are scanned as they are placed into the basket or cart and charged when she leaves based on her thumb print which is linked to her Alibaba account. Being China I'm sure her thumb print is linked to a number of other things she's unaware of and would be less enthusiastic about, but there's a cost/trade-off for everything including convenience.

I use Android pay all the time no issues and more secure than the card. Your phone needs nfc to use it though.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
My new phone is a Samsung a8. Don't know if it has nfc or not. Can you pay at the pump with your phone?

Work phone used 99.99% of the time. Not putting personal stuff on it. Don't want to carry 2 phones, so paper it is.

I'm like Wingboy, personal phone carrier dropped flip coverage and gave me a smartphone. I check it once a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom