No more searching for pink slips | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No more searching for pink slips

@MacDoc haha funny story....always use the iPhone wallet to store my boarding passes...2 flights/month minimum typically...all's good...having some pints with friends after 19 days in a dry camp. All good...all good...in line waiting to go through security and WTF! my phone lost the Boarding Pass with 20min to boarding. Rip through the airport (it's 200m long) and get everything straightened out but they had to reprint the passes.

Last person on board....I was the favourite for that flight! Now I check and re-check all the time. The convenience is worth the one time pain.

For me the important issue is...

Is there insurance in force?
Whether or not someone can produce a paper slip by the side of the road is minor.
Without verification, having a slip "proves" nothing.

Last edited:
For those scared of phone based payments, you really should look at the technology involved. Using your phones payment technology is WAAAAY more secure than using a physical card.

First off, the retailer never gets your actual card number...they get a randomly generated tokenized number that is valid for that single transaction only, after which it's dead...so your card number can never, ever be used fraudulently afterwards.

It's also biometrically protected against unauthorized use. Without my fingerprint on the phones sensor as soon as a payment is requested, no payment happens. Loose your phone? It's of zero use to anyone so far as stealing your money. Lose your physical bank or credit card, or cash? Yeah, not so much. Worst case, you're out money. Best case, you get it back but (speaking from experience) it can be a long, arduous process that can take a LOT of time and even then sometimes isn't successful. (I'm looking at you, TD Visa.....)

Lastly, providing you properly use your phones "lost phone tracking service" (IE, Find my iPhone for Apple hardware)..as a second level of protection, if you ever do lose your phone..you simply remotely disable it through FMF which not only kills the phone (and can remotely wipe it completely if you want), but also completely disables (in the case of iPhones) ApplePay as well on both the phone, and Apples servers.

On the topic of privacy, it's also way ahead of the game. A retailer can't track your purchase history (which, yes, is often linked to your name and address) when you use a tokenized phone payment system.

SamsungPay and Android Pay offer similar advantages, although aren't quite as secure as ApplePay, but still WAY more secure than an actual physical card.

Please, don't just assume that technology somehow makes you more vulnerable in the case of payment tech - the truth is actually the polar opposite.

I think the term is "luddites"

luddites-promo-295918.jpg

and this is surely coming to reduce congestion at borders and airports.

Ditch your boarding pass, all you need is to show up as Chinese airline launches face recognition software
China Southern Airlines began allowing passengers at the Jiangying Airport in Nanyang, Henan province, to have their faces scanned in lieu of using boarding passes.
China Southern Airlines seeks to add convenience while improving the passenger experience with its adoption of facial recognition software. Photo: Handout

One of the first visitors to use the system, a man surnamed Wang, told the state-owned People’s Daily: “It feels very novel. I was carrying lots of luggage, stood in front of the gate, and the boarding doors immediately opened. I didn’t need to pull out my boarding pass. [It was} so much more convenient!”

The airline said its initial use of the technology at Nanyang will pave the way for similar roll-outs at Beijing’s new airport and elsewhere. It reportedly plans a large-scale use of the system, including implementing it at the newly built Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport Terminal 2 in 2018, the People’s Daily reported.

Anyone that uses a Nexus just waves their card at the reader - sooooo much better. Mine is in for renewal.

When I go through for entry into Australia it's all electronic scanning for my face etc.

I think the term is "luddites"

luddites-promo-295918.jpg
Luddite is a term describing folks that will not accept any new technology. Some of those folks are just smart enough to know the difference between good progress and change for the sake of change. Some people say...."first we get old, then we get smart".

I think this is a great option. I'll still keep the pink slip, but to have the ability to show an electronic version if you forgot to update to the latest paper version is priceless. Just take a screenshot and set it as your lock screen wallpaper if you want to keep it locked. Takes maybe 5 minutes but will save a half day in court even if the prosecutor lets you off without a trial.

I think this is a great option. I'll still keep the pink slip, but to have the ability to show an electronic version if you forgot to update to the latest paper version is priceless. Just take a screenshot and set it as your lock screen wallpaper if you want to keep it locked. Takes maybe 5 minutes but will save a half day in court even if the prosecutor lets you off without a trial.
So if you lose your phone, you want the person that finds it to have your name, address, the types of vehicles you drive and their VIN numbers? How could that go wrong?

So if you lose your phone, you want the person that finds it to have your name, address, the types of vehicles you drive and their VIN numbers? How could that go wrong?

Ummm....you just remove it and return to your regularly scheduled wallpaper when you're finished with the LEO interaction.

It's a solution to the "I'm not giving a copy my unlocked phone!" issue.

Has anyone in this thread said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

One less thing I need to carry on me, or worry about being up to date in the car.

Just a few days ago I gladly tossed my Costco card out of my wallet and made it a little thinner because they now have an app that takes it's place.

Did the same with an Esso discount card long ago.

Ditto my PC Plus points card.

And my Canadian Tire money/points card.

And my Subway points card.

I don't really need to carry my Debit card any longer either since it too is on my phone via ApplePay.

Same with both of my American Express cards.

And (just checked), my Cineplex Scene card, Tim Hortons reward card, my ChargePoint (EV Chargers) card, and lastly, my Starbucks card.

Myself, I'm happy to have them all on my phone, secured behind biometrics.

The sooner I can get my drivers licence, health card, and most of the rest as well on there, the better. My wallet will be left carrying just cash (what little I carry anymore) plus my work ID/access badge and a few other things that'll likely never go electronic.

But hey, you're welcome to your Costanza wallet if you want. ;)

The luddites here just can't understand ...they don't have the tools....simple as that. They wear their tin foil hats and wring their hands about the "way it used to be" and "if it ain't broke" ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Duh, you only do it when you get stopped, before you hand over your phone. Then remove it when done. You’d be an idiot to leave it in there permanently. How could you even think that’s what I meant?

Duh, you only do it when you get stopped, before you hand over your phone. Then remove it when done. You’d be an idiot to leave it in there permanently. How could you even think that’s what I meant?
Because you said "takes maybe 5 minutes". Making the cop wait five minutes while you fiddle with your phone is a great way to catch a handful of value added tickets.

Because you said "takes maybe 5 minutes". Making the cop wait five minutes while you fiddle with your phone is a great way to catch a handful of value added tickets.

Never had that problem before. It takes time to search in your glove box or under your seat for the correct pink slip anyways. Do you really think a cop expects you to pull it right out straightaway? And yes I did say up to 5 minutes but who can’t take a screenshot and set it up as the lock screen in way less?

Having never done it before, I just did it in my iPhone and it took just under 15 seconds. Screen shot with power and home, save to photos, open photo, and set to wallpaper. Done.

This is just a little tiny blip on the horizon in the big picture. Not wanting to change to every new little bit of technology does not make someone a luddite. Living off the grid like a Mennonite.... Oh wait, they have modern plasma cutters and cnc machinery in their barns and candle power in their homes right beside those barns.
The definition of Luddite is determined by the individual throwing it at others. Not by a person's needs and wants.

After following this thread I'm left with a couple questions?

How often do you have to show your insurance? I haven't been pulled over on the bike or in the truck in probably 10 years.

As for the convenience notion I don't find opening an envelope, pulling the slip, inserting it into the little folder and tossing it into the glove box or into the pocket on my riding jacket to be much of a PITA. If the insurance companies make it mandatory or threaten to charge for the slips then I'll put it on my phone.

How does not giving much of a sh*t about the format of my insurance card, but being wary of handing a cop potential access to unrequired personal information make me a paranoid, underdeveloped "luddite"?

Some people enjoy f*&king around with their phones, downloading this and that, prattling on about their aps and taking superfluous pictures about nothing, and if that's what they like then good for them. Just don't ask me to give a crap.

For those scared of phone based payments, you really should look at the technology involved. Using your phones payment technology is WAAAAY more secure than using a physical card.

First off, the retailer never gets your actual card number...they get a randomly generated tokenized number that is valid for that single transaction only, after which it's dead...so your card number can never, ever be used fraudulently afterwards.

It's also biometrically protected against unauthorized use. Without my fingerprint on the phones sensor as soon as a payment is requested, no payment happens. Loose your phone? It's of zero use to anyone so far as stealing your money. Lose your physical bank or credit card, or cash? Yeah, not so much. Worst case, you're out money. Best case, you get it back but (speaking from experience) it can be a long, arduous process that can take a LOT of time and even then sometimes isn't successful. (I'm looking at you, TD Visa.....)

Lastly, providing you properly use your phones "lost phone tracking service" (IE, Find my iPhone for Apple hardware)..as a second level of protection, if you ever do lose your phone..you simply remotely disable it through FMF which not only kills the phone (and can remotely wipe it completely if you want), but also completely disables (in the case of iPhones) ApplePay as well on both the phone, and Apples servers.

On the topic of privacy, it's also way ahead of the game. A retailer can't track your purchase history (which, yes, is often linked to your name and address) when you use a tokenized phone payment system.

SamsungPay and Android Pay offer similar advantages, although aren't quite as secure as ApplePay, but still WAY more secure than an actual physical card.

Please, don't just assume that technology somehow makes you more vulnerable in the case of payment tech - the truth is actually the polar opposite.
@PrivatePilot arguments around the security of digital payments / wallets are all true. The technology is brilliant, and should simplify your wallet and reduces many types of fraud. Don't forget to carry your plastic -- you'll need it for a few more years for ATMs, in-person banking, at many merchants and for online purchasing.

The Achilles heel to ApplePay is adoption. Almost all large North American retailers take Applepay today, but they only makeup 10% of the card terminal market, the remaining 90% are small merchants who are slowly deploying ApplePay. It's installed into about 1/3rd of the market, and of those merchants, about 1/3rd have rolled out the service. ApplePay locked it to Apple products only -- a major issue since fewer than 50% of all consumers carry an Apple device. If you do the math, you'll see a relatively small number of transactions are processed using ApplePay.

My crystal ball says ApplePay will have a relatively short life. Numerous digital wallets already exist (Apple, Amazon, Samsung, Google, PayPal, Interac, VISA, AMEX and every major bank have the fintech). Apple dove in first, I suspect they will get crushed under a Google bus in the next few years when Google gets around to unleashing their ubiquitous offering.

Back
Top Bottom