New rider from Oakville, Ontario. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider from Oakville, Ontario.

Jaeger

Greetings everyone.

New rider here and happy to join the group. I've been doing a lot of reading here while slowly moving through the Covid-delayed steps to getting licensed. So much great info - my thanks to the group at large.

As it happened, when my course with MTOHP got delayed due to Covid, and with no re-scheduling in sight, I booked a course with RTI as a backup just to make sure I got through this summer. My MTOHP course happened to get back on track before the RTI course, and I ended up taking both to completion - so I am double-trained - lol!

I have bucked conventional wisdom to a degree with my first bike purchase - a Honda CB650R. But I have found it pretty manageable to this point. As a more mature new rider (57), I am not the least bit tempted to show off or to tap the upper limits of the bike's performance on the street. Heck, 80km / hr feels plenty fast to me on a bike as compared with a car. And because the bike makes real power WAY up in the rev range, a small oops with the throttle isn't going to send me to the moon. Other bikes that reveived serious consideration - Triumph Trident (unobtanium) Kawasaki Z650 and KTM Duke 390.

I've been riding several times a week in the 2 weeks or so that I have had the bike. I'm taking it slow and easy to start out and enjoying every single minute of it so far. My longest ride so far was an early morning run up to Campbellville and back.

I've fully bought into the ATGATT concept - literally and figuratively - so I am kitted out from head to toe. One question on gear - my helmet has a pinlock shield and an internal drop down sun visor. The main shield works brilliantly staying fog free even on muggy mornings, but when I drop down the sun visor, it's almost always fogged up with condesation and thus worse than useless. Is there any coating that would help keep that fog-free?

Happy and safe riding everyone!

taEgkA8.jpg

Welcome and that's a nice bike to start out on. There's many great helpful people on here too.

My helmet (Shoei GT Air) also has a pinlock and drop down sun visor. Sometimes the sun shield gets foggy on those early morning rides too, so I just crack open the main visor and that amount of airflow clears the fog build up. Maybe it's a case of the sun shield being in a more enclosed location next to our face, and that causes it to fog up quick.

On those early morning rides, I must have some air flow coming in to the helmet to dry up that fog build-up, so I keep the main visor cracked open one notch. By around 10am, I can fully close the main visor and the fog issue on the sun visor is gone. If there is too much wind coming from your naked bike to leave the main visor cracked open a touch, then maybe opening up all the vent ports while also keeping your main visor fully closed will help reduce the issue.

welcome, and be careful at intersections

Welcome OP!

For a moment there was wondering why your username sounded familiar...
AbandonedClearcutGermanshepherd-max-1mb.gif

Is your sun visor detachable?
Maybe consider gently cleaning it and throwing on a coating of Fog Fight from Carpro?

You will need to be meticulous in your application in order to avoid streaks when buffing off and avoid touch the coating with your finger tips once done.

Last edited:
Welcome and that's a nice bike to start out on. There's many great helpful people on here too.

My helmet (Shoei GT Air) also has a pinlock and drop down sun visor. Sometimes the sun shield gets foggy on those early morning rides too, so I just crack open the main visor and that amount of airflow clears the fog build up. Maybe it's a case of the sun shield being in a more enclosed location next to our face, and that causes it to fog up quick.

On those early morning rides, I must have some air flow coming in to the helmet to dry up that fog build-up, so I keep the main visor cracked open one notch. By around 10am, I can fully close the main visor and the fog issue on the sun visor is gone. If there is too much wind coming from your naked bike to leave the main visor cracked open a touch, then maybe opening up all the vent ports while also keeping your main visor fully closed will help reduce the issue.

Thanks - mine is a GT Air 2 - I'll try leaving the main visor cracked and see if that helps. I have been riding with all vents open thus far, so that alone won't solve the issue.

Welcome OP!

For a moment there was wondering why your username sounded familiar...
AbandonedClearcutGermanshepherd-max-1mb.gif

Is your sun visor detachable?
Maybe consider gently cleaning it and throwing on a coating of Fog Fight from Carpro?

You will need to be meticulous in your application in order to avoid streaks when buffing off and avoid touch the coating with your finger tips once done.

:) I don't believe the visor is detachable, but I am looking into anti-fog coatings in the hope that it will help. I'll check this one out.

Thanks - mine is a GT Air 2 - I'll try leaving the main visor cracked and see if that helps. I have been riding with all vents open thus far, so that alone won't solve the issue.
My current lid is also the GT-Air 2. Yesterday I went on a long ride that started at 6am and it was very foggy between Keswick and Lyndsay. I had the sun visor fully down a fair bit and main visor just cracked open and the sun visor never fogged up at all. The main visor was getting really fogged up, but on the outside, not inside of the helmet. Glad I had a squeegee strip on my heated gloves.

I also don't use the pinlock anymore, because I find they are more of a nuisance, but maybe I'll try it again when the weather really cools down.

Welcome fellow Oakvillian.

Nice Bike, congrats and ride safe. See you around :cool:

Back
Top Bottom