New Rider and Member - '77 KZ650 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider and Member - '77 KZ650

lakshan

Hey guys, I was passed down this old motorcycle a couple months ago and I've been slowly working on getting it up and running again. It sat for a couple of years with the previous owner. It's been a lot of fun and getting hands on is forcing me to learn a bunch! I've mostly been using the kzrider forum to help me get through the build/restoration. Wanted to find local enthusiasts/riders as well so here I am :)

How she looked when I picked her up:

before.jpg

before2.jpg

I've already removed that wall of a windscreen and the mirrors, cleaned up the carbs, cleaned tank, new air filters, new fuel filter, new fuel line, new vacuum line, new battery, new spark plugs, checked valve clearances, replaced gaskets/screws as needed... I think that's it so far.

DSC_5150-min.jpg

I have an end goal in mind that I'm trying to have completed over the winter. Next season should be fun :)

welcome and cool bike

impressed to see you have your priorities sorted

who needs clean towels anyway ? !

(y) I know the perfect paint job for it:
600px-KAWASAKI_Z1.jpg

Yeah the pods came with the bike! But the carbs have also been rejetted and has a 4-1 exhaust so if I can assume the previous owner knew what he was doing, I hope that it does run decent :) Previous owner had it for 40+ years. We will know soon once I can get her started reliably.

With those carbs, it will probably burn more fuel, make a lot more intake roar and the exhaust will draw more attention of the police kind. But I think he can balance the carbs which he could not do if those were CV carbs, pretty sure they are plain old slide carbs (y)

Air box is an important feature on a 4 stroke engine,
best ones also do a Lot more then just hold a filter. (y)

Paper pods or oiled felt?
if they are paper I wouldn't even try, either way jack up for fire insurance if they don't have a blow back screen,
(should have 2 layers of stainless steel mesh screen inside of the filter material so you don't set your filters on fire)

... judging from the rust patterns the battery froze up in that bike at some point in time.
You should be rebuilding the rear swingarm anyway :| then you will know for sure.

... judging from the rust patterns the battery froze up in that bike at some point in time.
You should be rebuilding the rear swingarm anyway :| then you will know for sure.

If you're talking about the brown line down the crankcase, that is gas :) Fuel line was badly cracking when I got it and carbs were leaky, petcock was also leaky. Battery was ****** and was replaced anyway but no freezing. I've since cleaned that up. If you're talking about the chain guard, that's a very custom paint job ? , not rust. Can't wait to get it repainted.

I'd bet the stock airbox on that bike did nothing but quiet the air intake noise. Most manufacturer's didn't start using resonant air boxes until the 80's. I'd still stick one on so you don't waterboard your motor in the rain and will help keep your dB level down.

Back
Top Bottom