New member here from Caledon | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New member here from Caledon

Haha not a fan of the look either, the versys looks alot nicer
I would agree the Versys does look much better. Some of the older 1st gen models of that bike are pretty hideous too, but the newer models are definitely much improved in aesthetics.

I think one thing that kept me away from them was that the placement of the exhaust was not conducive to installing a centre stand. The newer models may be different however.

A plus of the VStrom is that the aftermarket possibilities really improve the long distance function of the bike while keeping the price point down. That could also be true of a lot of other bikes and maybe even the sv650 since it has been around so long and is a pretty popular bike.

If you start getting up to doing 800-1000km/day on multi-day trips, your comfy bike options start thinning out pretty quick.

I think one thing that kept me away from them was that the placement of the exhaust was not conducive to installing a centre stand. The newer models may be different however.

If you start getting up to doing 800-1000km/day on multi-day trips, your comfy bike options start thinning out pretty quick.

I disagree with a couple of your points.
I’ve got a 2013 Versys and it’s got a centre stand. Not sure when the last time you looked at them but a centre stand seems standard on them.
And as far as riding 800-1000 kms a day, it all depends on the rider. I’ve done days like that on:
Suzuki Katana 600
Suzuki Katana 750
Yamaha V Star 950
Honda VFR800
Suzuki V Strom 650
Yamaha FJR1300 - which I’ve done over 2,100kms on the first 2 days of a 10 day trip
Yamaha Venture
And lastly, an Aprilia Tuono.
Any bike can be a touring bike if the rider can handle it.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 2013 Versys and it’s got a centre stand. Not sure when the last time you looked at them but a centre stand seems standard on them.
And as far as riding 800-1000 kms a day, it all depends on the rider. I’ve done days like that on:
Suzuki Katana 600
Suzuki Katana 750
Yamaha V Star 950
Honda VFR800
Suzuki V Strom 650
Yamaha FJR1300 - which I’ve done over 2,100kms on the first 2 days of a 10 day trip
Yamaha Venture
Any bike can be a touring bike if the rider can handle it.
Agree with it all and had no idea the Tuono could do long distance comfortably! That would make me look at those bikes totally differently if so.

each person is built differently but generalities apply, I know some that can tour on liter bikes comfortably, (they are also under 6' and less than 200 lbs)

But in general, I know of no one who is uncomfortable on a vstrom

I look forward to some day test riding a tuono, I know they have more aggressive ergos than the rest of the supernakeds

Suzuki Katana 600
Suzuki Katana 750
Yamaha V Star 950
Honda VFR800
Suzuki V Strom 650
Yamaha Venture
Any bike can be a touring bike if the rider can handle
True, I could manage on a naked bike or any bike really if I wanted to

Agree with it all and had no idea the Tuono could do long distance comfortably! That would make me look at those bikes totally differently if so.

Mine has bar risers for comfort so riding for hours isn’t an issue, but they are a horrible touring bike. Having to stop for gas every 180-200kms is a pain in the ass!

600-1000k per week, did 800k in 3 days Friday-Sunday last week, I ride all year.

Welcome!

I do much the same mileage. I have been doing over 50,000 km a year for the last few years (although last year with lack of big trips only managed 49,000km.) I ride all year except when there is (or risk of) ice and snow on the roads.

..Tom

Welcome!

I do much the same mileage. I have been doing over 50,000 km a year for the last few years (although last year with lack of big trips only managed 49,000km.) I ride all year except when there is (or risk of) ice and snow on the roads.

..Tom
Very nice! Where do you usually ride?? Always looking to explore new places. You really like your v stroms I see haha.

Touring on a Tuono? I suppose that’s a step up from SS

My Tuono is right up there as one of my most comfortable bikes. The only 2 that were more comfortable for long distance were the V Strom and FJR1300. But hands down better than either of VFR800’s, I had a 2007 and 2014, and also better than any of my cruisers including a Yamaha Venture....which is built like a lazyboy!

My Tuono is right up there as one of my most comfortable bikes. The only 2 that were more comfortable for long distance were the V Strom and FJR1300. But hands down better than either of VFR800’s, I had a 2007 and 2014, and also better than any of my cruisers including a Yamaha Venture....which is built like a lazyboy!
It has very aggressive pegs, so I’m kinda shocked to hear you say it’s better than a VFR. Subjective I guess.

Still waiting for that aprilia V4 adventure bike ?

Very nice! Where do you usually ride?? Always looking to explore new places. You really like your v stroms I see haha.

Since I live East of toronto I guess day trips tend to head east. Probably Bancroft and area more than anything but really I can end up anywhere. This spring and summer I explored a lot south of Perth Ontario and also west south and north of Cambridge area down to lake Erie. Long trips tend to be into the USA and I've ridden my Stroms to all the lower 48 states except Florida and Louisiana. (I was going to head there last May but the border closing messed that up.) I have also ridden to all the ten provinces. Alaska and Yukon are future goals. I am hoping to do the Florida and Louisiana ride this spring if the border is open and this summer I plan on heading out to visit my daughter in Calgary and my sister on Vancouver island.

I like the V-Stroms but the truth is I'm not about the bike, I'm about riding. The Stroms for me are a near perfect tool for the kind of riding I do. Adventure bikes in general are great all round bikes and (once you get a better seat) give me all-day riding comfort. I can plan trips where I am trying to get someone quickly and do back to back to back 1,200 km days. Longest day I have done riding was 1,600 km and could have ridden further but arrived home.

..Tom

It has very aggressive pegs, so I’m kinda shocked to hear you say it’s better than a VFR. Subjective I guess.

I have a very short inseam so having a sportier peg position is just fine for me. I have to have bar risers on due to nerve damage in my neck and shoulder though, but at least my legs are ok.

Since I live East of toronto I guess day trips tend to head east. Probably Bancroft and area more than anything but really I can end up anywhere. This spring and summer I explored a lot south of Perth Ontario and also west south and north of Cambridge area down to lake Erie. Long trips tend to be into the USA and I've ridden my Stroms to all the lower 48 states except Florida and Louisiana. (I was going to head there last May but the border closing messed that up.) I have also ridden to all the ten provinces. Alaska and Yukon are future goals. I am hoping to do the Florida and Louisiana ride this spring if the border is open and this summer I plan on heading out to visit my daughter in Calgary and my sister on Vancouver island.

I like the V-Stroms but the truth is I'm not about the bike, I'm about riding. The Stroms for me are a near perfect tool for the kind of riding I do. Adventure bikes in general are great all round bikes and (once you get a better seat) give me all-day riding comfort. I can plan trips where I am trying to get someone quickly and do back to back to back 1,200 km days. Longest day I have done riding was 1,600 km and could have ridden further but arrived home.

..Tom
Ah nice, you’ve been a lot of places, I too hope the borders will open this year. I’m the same, and don’t mind riding a dirty bike. I’ll probably stick with the vtx 1300 for a few more months then move to a adventure bike.

The Tuonos have an upright riding position, but you're relatively exposed to the wind. Only other thing which may be considered a negative are the somewhat "sport" rider position rear sets...

I have done 600ish Km in a day on my KTM RC8r at max. Highway droning is painful with the stock seat. 300km at once and my butt is done. I wear cycling shorts on days like that. Get me down to the Dragon or Cherohala Skyway, I can ride all day, as I'm moving around on the saddle.

The Tuonos have an upright riding position, but you're relatively exposed to the wind. Only other thing which may be considered a negative are the somewhat "sport" rider position rear sets...

I have done 600ish Km in a day on my KTM RC8r at max. Highway droning is painful with the stock seat. 300km at once and my butt is done. I wear cycling shorts on days like that. Get me down to the Dragon or Cherohala Skyway, I can ride all day, as I'm moving around on the saddle.
The small tank is probably a plus, gets you out of the position on a regular basis.

Agreed. I would need a Corbin or similar aftermarket seat no matter what on any bike. Not sure I would do long distance riding with less than 200km range though, that's just too much stopping!

Agreed. I would need a Corbin or similar aftermarket seat no matter what on any bike. Not sure I would do long distance riding with less than 200km range though, that's just too much stopping!
It puts a real hurting on the mileage with all the stopping. The furthest I got on an old Honda was just over 1000 km in 12 hours as it needed fuel every 100 to 130 km. Painful.

I feel your pain. I did something similar on my 1982 Honda 450 Nighthawk. No windscreen and no earplugs - I was deaf by the end of the day. At least it could do around 160km - couldn't imagine 120km range:(

Back
Top Bottom