New klr 650 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New klr 650

I've never owned a Kawasaki, but KLRs have always felt like I bike I'll eventually buy. Isn't every man in his 40's supposed to buy one and bungie a milk crate to the back?
I waited until my 60s...

I wonder how many manufacturers cheat with thier emissions testing?
They do it with their sound levels.
I'm pretty sure Royal Enfield got busted having a system that pumped fresh air into the exhaust after the header but before the exhaust to cheat emissions. It's reasonable to expect there's lots more sophisticated examples out there...

I've never owned a Kawasaki, but KLRs have always felt like I bike I'll eventually buy. Isn't every man in his 40's supposed to buy one and bungie a milk crate to the back?
Damn, beat me to it.

2021-KLR650.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
Do they still need Doo Hickeys?

Do they still need Doo Hickeys?
Really after 08 the doo-hickey wasn’t a problem, although people still down them for piece of mind

I know some of the 08’S was oil burners

I respect the KLR - few bikes reach cult status.

I just don’t get how it’s going to compete, adding fuel injection to a bike that has ostensibly unchanged in 30 years is likely just an an emission requirement.

I wish kawi success!

I respect the KLR - few bikes reach cult status.

I just don’t get how it’s going to compete, adding fuel injection to a bike that has ostensibly unchanged in 30 years is likely just an an emission requirement.

I wish kawi success!
What i like about my KLR is it’s hwyable when need be, or i can take it down a cow path. Plus i get about 400k’s to a tank

The HP is about the same as the CB500x which meets Learner status in many countries. There are few 650s that do. It's also good for the larger rider and has 21" front wheel. Big single is fun to tractor around off pavement. Bullet proof, easy to work on. $10k is too much tho. IMNSHO

$13k for the 2021 Vstrom 650. $7800 for a new CB500x 2020. $2.2k more for the new KLR ...tough sell I think.

Weight is the same on the CBx and the KLR - both 40lb less than the Vstrom.

Both are lighter than the 700 Tenere but that's different class of bike.

What i like about my KLR is it’s hwyable when need be, or i can take it down a cow path. Plus i get about 400k’s to a tank
Yep.....and it FINALLY has some brakes.

It just might appeal to long term KLR owners that want to move up. Glad to see it back but needs to be cheaper.

Last edited:
The HP is about the same as the CB500x which meets Learner status in many countries. There are few 650s that do. It's also good for the larger rider and has 21" front wheel. Big single is fun to tractor around off pavement. Bullet proof, easy to work on. $10k is too much tho. IMNSHO

$13k for the 2021 Vstrom 650. $7800 for a new CB500x 2020. $2.2k more for the new KLR ...tough sell I think.

Weight is the same on the CBx and the KLR - both 40lb less than the Vstrom.

Both are lighter than the 700 Tenere but that's different class of bike.

Yep.....and it FINALLY has some brakes.

It just might appeal to long term KLR owners that want to move up. Glad to see it back but needs to be cheaper.
Happy to say that my t7 is lighter than the new klr. 205kg for the t7, 209 kg for the klr.
The t7 is also only 25 pounds heavier than a cb500x.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

• MSRP NON-ABS
    $7,499

• MSRP ABS
    $7,799

You are correct ...that puts it right in the hunt for buyers.
Pretty big delta to the Adventure for a couple of side-cases and a power outlet.

Tho it looks good
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at Jan, 28    2021    12.36.38 AM.jpg

Too much steel and not enough aluminum.

I have felt for a long time that the KLR is a great bike for adv type touring. Reliable as a rock, and easy to fix and get parts for.
Boring as hell tho.
There are so many better choices out there now tho. There wasn't 20 years ago imho.

As a KLR alumnus I like what they've done.
Great bang for the buck, especially the base model without ABS.
To the naysayers - you're going to buy something else anyway so why get cranked up about it ?
It is what it is - I hope they sell a bazillion of them.

For 2100 extra $ (plus the additional sales tax) you get 26 extra pounds worth of stuff. That works out to 80$ per pound for what :unsure: lights, electrics, steel tubes and plastic luggage, half of which will be completely trashed in your first get off. Sounds like very expensive bumpers.

Back
Top Bottom