New klr 650 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New klr 650

Iceman

I'm not super invested in the KLR650, but I honestly was expecting a clean sheet design

Not bad, and it's only about 60 pounds heavier then my MV Agusta

Interesting. They didn't mess with the original formula and try to disguise a new Versys under the KLR moniker. Just did the bare minimum to squeak pass Euro 5 regs.

I think it's smart. Instead of trying to step up a weight class to do battle with the ADV middleweights, it remains a budget DR650 and XR650L (if you can find one of those things new in Canada) fighter. Looks like it'll still retain a lot of its aftermarket parts catalog as well.

Interesting. They didn't mess with the original formula and try to disguise a new Versys under the KLR moniker. Just did the bare minimum to squeak pass Euro 5 regs.

I think it's smart. Instead of trying to step up a weight class to do battle with the ADV middleweights, it remains a budget DR650 and XR650L (if you can find one of those things new in Canada) fighter. Looks like it'll still retain a lot of its aftermarket parts catalog as well.

At 461lbs, and 40hp, plush suspension, I'd probably mod a DR or XR over this, or pick up a used GS800, maybe a few years down a used T7

At 461lbs, and 40hp, plush suspension, I'd probably mod a DR or XR over this, or pick up a used GS800, maybe a few years down a used T7
For any real road riding the xr and dr don't measure up to the klr at all. They are more big bore dual sports than small bore adv bike. Yes they can be modded.
I for one am really happy they took this route, we have more than enough $10000-30000 adventure options.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

what is real road riding? I've had 2 klrs and 4 dr650s . Properly kitted the dr beats the klr in every way. And a properly kitted dr is the same price as a base klr.
for its intended purpose, i would take the versys X over the klr. and a cb500x before the klr

Why was this bike pulled from the initial Kawi new model launch? I thought they had something cool up their sleeve, this just seems like a disappointment now.

It's surprising that they just updated the existing platform, but it's nice to see a more budget offering in the adv field.

For the last number of years I've read people claiming that big singles will go the way of the dinosaur because of stiff emissions regulations. That Kawasaki only had to update a 30+ year old design is surprising.

what is real road riding? I've had 2 klrs and 4 dr650s . Properly kitted the dr beats the klr in every way. And a properly kitted dr is the same price as a base klr.
for its intended purpose, i would take the versys X over the klr. and a cb500x before the klr
Klr, dr is a matter of opinion. Most people looking at a klr are thinking, seat and luggage and go to Alaska. Most people considering a dr are thinking, ride from Markham to Barrie and hit a few trails.
The dr650 is a large dualsport, the klr is a small budget adv touring imo.
Lastly, try to buy a dr650 new.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Serpa has them in stock if you're looking. I agree with you on the looks part of it. If anyone wants to dig deeper into the pros and cons of each let me know :)

My 2011 was 5800 out the door. Which I’ve decided to keep and Farkel up some. Putting the engine guards led lights hard panniers and aluminum skid plate

Plus doing the famous doo-hickey

I wonder how many manufacturers cheat with thier emissions testing?
They do it with their sound levels.

At this point, if meeting Euro 5 is as difficult as it's purported to be, the first people to notice a manufacturer cheating will probably be the other manufacturers... somewhat like F1

Back
Top Bottom