New helmet questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

New helmet questions

timtune

Site Supporter
I'm way past due for a new lid. My last 3 or 4 were HJC full face. I always looked for three things in a lid:
-latest snell rating (DOT is just a joke)
-snug comfy fit
-plain white (visibility and cooler in summer)

Was out looking today and the salesman was suggesting an ECE rating is the better way to go. Also for about 3 times the price ($200ish - $600ish) I can step up to a much lighter lid. Which I will be doing. He suggested the HJC RPHA(?) It was noticeably lighter.

Other than weight he said the more expensive lids were more comfortable, but I've never been unhappy with the HJC fit. He also said they are much quieter but since I only have my visor down if it's raining the sound protection is a moot point.

Any thoughts on the ECE rating or lids in general?

RPHA 70 are nice but don't fit my head well.

Comfort can be attributed to higher quality materials for the padding. Since i tried an AGV I've never looked back.

I don't think you need ECE, but if it's a standard you want for yourself then more power to you.

Historically, ECE has allowed for lighter helmets because that standard was less concerned about piercing protection than Snell. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but there's definitely been differences in areas of focus between the two standards. For previous gen standards, Shoei and Arai sold different helmets in North America and Europe, and the European models were almost always lighter. Weight matters for safety as well as comfort (more mass = more energy), so I've tended to gravitate towards ECE over Snell in the past.

The most recent European focus is on mitigating rotational damage, which is a big cause of brain injury. Bell is using the MIPS system, which looks interesting and promises some real progress in that area. I know the FIM standard was looking at addressing that, but I don't know if it did, and those helmets are usually race focused and expensive. My track helmet needs replaced next year, and some sort of rotational protection will definitely be part of whatever I buy. I'm not there yet, hence why most of my info is over 5 years old...

As for brands, my impression is that HJC lids offer some of the best value going, even if they don't quite have the brand cachet of the Japanese or Euro makers. I've heard very good things about the RPHA line. I've never owned one, though. As mentioned, Bell has some solid helmets with cutting-edge protection for not crazy money.

For me, I've been using Shark helmets for years, partly because they fit me and partly because I really like their quality. The only problem has been their North American distribution has been garbage, but online shopping makes that a non-issue. Good luck finding one to try on, though.

"Other than weight he said the more expensive lids were more comfortable,"
:unsure: That kinda depends on the shape of your head, we are all built just a little bit different, what is comfortable for one person might be terrible for the next guy. For example did you arrive on earth by caesarean section or natural birth, it's a fact that it makes a difference to the shape of your head.

I have a bit of a neck problem so a lighter helmet works best for me. I really like Nexx helmets for this. I’ve had HJC and Shark helmets before and they have all been great. The Shark helmets are built really well at a great price point. AraI and Shoei have fitted well but the ones I like (adv helmets) have all been really heavy.

Salesman suggested AGV maybe. What sold you on that brand Evoex?
Like jc100 my neck just isn't what it used to be so a lighter lid is key.

IIRC @Brian P has posted something about ECE standards.

In the past, I think Snell did some things that may not have been beneficial. IIRC, too many impacts in test means foam needs to be harder to pass which means that in a typical one or two impact crash, your head isn't as cushy as it could be. That being said, I'm with you, I want better than DOT. In the past, that meant Snell for me, I would definitely be investigating ECE if I was in the market now.

Salesman suggested AGV maybe. What sold you on that brand Evoex?
Like jc100 my neck just isn't what it used to be so a lighter lid is key.
AGV K6 (my current lid) is only 2.7lbs, it’s not cheap but it’s well worth IMO. Interior padding is next level comfortable. Head shape is key, does not fit the same as my previous AGV lid.

I started with the AGV k3-sv (internal sun visor). Again the interior comfort drew my attention, good lid, very nice Rossi Graphic but it’s loud (good ventilation). I wanted a quieter lid (hence the K6 purchase).

You're are correct Trials. My son was a forceps delivery (bit scary). Came out a cone head. I would not be surprised if his head shape is different than if he was c section.

He suggested the HJC RPHA(?) It was noticeably lighter.

Other than weight he said the more expensive lids were more comfortable, but I've never been unhappy with the HJC fit. He also said they are much quieter but since I only have my visor down if it's raining the sound protection is a moot point.

I've had an RPHA ST70 since it came out. Great helmet for the price and I cannot live without the drop down visor, its too good(a lot of afternoon to night riding, dont want to carry clear or wear sunglasses).

If your friend meant the RPHA 11 Pro, its the cheapest of it's peer group. Shoei RF-1200(1400) and AGV K6. All of them are proportional to price but as the cheapest, its still good fit and finish (installed packtalks in a couple RPHA 11's).

One thing is how I go through a visor every year due to rock chips (lots of back roads riding). HJC visor replacements are so cheap compared to the others. A real cost factor over time. I'm on my 4th replacement visor now.

Youtube influencer option, Ruroc Atlas 2.0. Feature list looks good. The strap system seems to work (no reason it shouldn't). Looks are polarizing. No try it on options, hence the option name. The 2.0's are on clearance to make way for the unannounced 3.0.

I've had an RPHA ST70 since it came out. Great helmet for the price and I cannot live without the drop down visor, its too good(a lot of afternoon to night riding, dont want to carry clear or wear sunglasses).

If your friend meant the RPHA 11 Pro, its the cheapest of it's peer group. Shoei RF-1200(1400) and AGV K6. All of them are proportional to price but as the cheapest, its still good fit and finish (installed packtalks in a couple RPHA 11's).

One thing is how I go through a visor every year due to rock chips (lots of back roads riding). HJC visor replacements are so cheap compared to the others. A real cost factor over time. I'm on my 4th replacement visor now.

Youtube influencer option, Ruroc Atlas 2.0. Feature list looks good. The strap system seems to work (no reason it shouldn't). Looks are polarizing. No try it on options, hence the option name. The 2.0's are on clearance to make way for the unannounced 3.0.
Ruroc are noisy from what i remember.

I bought the RPHA 70ST, had lots of pressure on my neck and forehead sadly. K6 had the bare slightest of forehead pressure, gave it a shot. Few weeks of riding and we're gucci.

I also said the same thing about drop down visor, now i just swap them around. If i'm doing riding that takes me into twlight/dark then i just go clear and rock sunglasses which can fit under the seat as needed. Certainly not as nice as a flick of a switch, but hardly an inconvenience.

RPHA 11 Pro's are awesome.
I have 1 for street, and 1 for track.

Much quieter, lighter, and cheaper than the rf1200 I was wearing previously.

If they fit your melon, they are a great buy.

If you're going to get a new modular helmet then check the Sharp site to see if it actually stays closed in an accident. You'd think this would be an absolute requirement, but in their tests many helmets did not perform well at all in this critical area.

The HJC RPHA did well on staying closed (97%) and has a 3 of 5 star rating on impact performance.

Have an HJC RPHA10 that I love and have had a few earlier HJC models that all were good so I'm happy to suggest staying with them. Also had a Shark Pro that was equally as good but was more money.
You'll likely fit Shoei RF then as well but they're a lot more money than the current RPHA and I don't feel they're worth the extra money in comparison.

If you're going to get a new modular helmet then check the Sharp site to see if it actually stays closed in an accident. You'd think this would be an absolute requirement, but in their tests many helmets did not perform well at all in this critical area
The RPHA 90(S) is the modular. Personally, I can't see a use case for a modular outside of touring bikes with a gigantic windscreen. Or you are a 2 pack a day ironbutt rider.

edit: oh, one more use case, you are a youtuber and your face is your brand. Zack and Ari have flipped up modulars in so many videos that it might be influencing enough new riders. I wonder if they could even address the topic as they are with Revzilla now.

Last edited:
The RPHA 90(S) is the modular. Personally, I can't see a use case for a modular outside of touring bikes with a gigantic windscreen. Or you are a 2 pack a day ironbutt rider.
I've seen a shocking number of sledders wearing modular helmets this year. That would not be the choice that I made.

Back
Top Bottom