New ducati single | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New ducati single

Pretty good curve.

Hypermotard-698-Mono-ENG-Curve-768x480.png

333 lbs wet with no fuel. Weeeeee.

EDIT:
For power-limited countries, they sell a neutred version with 6250 redline and 43 hp. I would hope that there was a path to software upgrade as you leveled up your license. Not sure how regulators would feel about that though.

Reactions: LBV
Put that in a Scrambler or Adv format and it's in my garage!

Put that in a Scrambler or Adv format and it's in my garage!

100% yes!

That engine is screaming for an off-road application.

Very surprised they led with a SM as an introduction. It's obviously aimed squarely at the 690, and the Enduro R is vastly more popular than the SMC-R.

Even the big brother Hypermotard is one of the lower selling models in the line-up, so trying to leverage off that seems a bit off-target, strategy-wise.

At least the weight is spot on. Just 10 lbs more than the 690 SMC, and with the optional lighter Termi pipes, it comes in very close. But once again, a 450 or 500 single would have been more appropriate for a SM, but then they'd have to find another 100+ lbs of weight to drop, which they are going to have to do anyway, in order to be competitive in the Italian MX series next season.

The only thing I can think of is they are taking more development time with the 450 platform so they can shoe-horn the 698 engine in there once that's complete.

*THAT* (698 Enduro) would be the motorcycle I would be most keen in trying out.

Naming prediction: 698 Hyper-Enduro?

You heard it here first!

100% yes!

That engine is screaming for an off-road application.

Very surprised they led with a SM as an introduction. It's obviously aimed squarely at the 690, and the Enduro R is vastly more popular than the SMC-R.

Even the big brother Hypermotard is one of the lower selling models in the line-up, so trying to leverage off that seems a bit off-target, strategy-wise.

At least the weight is spot on. Just 10 lbs more than the 690 SMC, and with the optional lighter Termi pipes, it comes in very close. But once again, a 450 or 500 single would have been more appropriate for a SM, but then they'd have to find another 100+ lbs of weight to drop, which they are going to have to do anyway, in order to be competitive in the Italian MX series next season.

The only thing I can think of is they are taking more development time with the 450 platform so they can shoe-horn the 698 engine in there once that's complete.

*THAT* (698 Enduro) would be the motorcycle I would be most keen in trying out.

Naming prediction: 698 Hyper-Enduro?

You heard it here first!

I think they're targeting their sport-bike biased customers first who are more likely to go Sumo before Enduro. Once they've (hopefully) proven how good the brand new platform is, then they'll probably move on to enduro.

In the meantime, I thought they are releasing a pure MX bike in the 400-450 cc range. But the Hypermotard line has always been more street-oriented, not meant to compete with the 450's that are all strung-out competition machines with extreme maintenance requirements. Ducati has been working hard on getting away from that high maintenance image, so a road-going bike with CRF maintenance schedule will just end up flopping like the SXV when people who had no business owning one bought them unknowingly.

Can't wait to try one out.

Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon - this is a screamer compared to the 690, which I found to be completely boring at low RPM's:

"The engine’s design, along with exotic materials, low-friction internal coatings and a high 13.1:1 compression ratio, contribute to the impressive 77.5hp peak at 9,750rpm, with a rev limiter that doesn’t interrupt proceedings until 10,250rpm. For comparison, KTM’s 690 SMC-R – surely the new Hypermotard’s closest rival – has a bigger 693cc engine and peaks at 73.8hp and a much lower 8,000rpm.

The Ducati’s torque is 46.3lb-ft at 8,000rpm, reflecting the downside of such a high-revving engine. For comparison, the KTM makes 52.4lb-ft at 6,750rpm thanks to its larger capacity."

HOLY! Now THIS looks like a worthy successor to the SXV. And they finally fixed the "beak"!!! Glad I never got the SMCR.
Heavier than the KTM….personally I like the looks of the KTM more (and this is coming from a former Hypermotard owner!)

Heavier than the KTM….personally I like the looks of the KTM more (and this is coming from a former Hypermotard owner!)

I'm also a former Hyper owner, but hated the look of every beak since the original. The 690 and 701 have that weird fuel tank cover that just makes the back end look bulbous. At least the beak can be changed with some custom work.

Overlay the KTM's dyno sheet over the Ducati's. The Ducati's torque line is flatter

Flat is good but the actual numbers matter too. Without back-to-back dyno runs, it's hard to compare, but using this chart, it looks like the KTM has equal or more power everywhere. At 4500 RPM they both hit 50 Nm, but the Ducati has a dip until over 6000 RPM while the KTM keeps climbing. By that point, the KTM has about 12 Nm more torque and 10 more HP:

1698972932453.png

Flat is good but the actual numbers matter too. Without back-to-back dyno runs, it's hard to compare, but using this chart, it looks like the KTM has equal or more power everywhere. At 4500 RPM they both hit 50 Nm, but the Ducati has a dip until over 6000 RPM while the KTM keeps climbing. By that point, the KTM has about 12 Nm more torque and 10 more HP:

View attachment 64134
And the KTM appears to be about 25lbs lighter!!! It’s a no brainer imho.

I don't have dyno charts for mine, but I have a '23 690 SMCR with Rottweiler intake, Tekmo Full Ti exhaust with power bomb, Powercommander with Rottweiler's Fuel and Ignition advance map. Rottweiler claims its 75hp at the wheel, +10hp over stock. I only bolted the mods a few hundred km after break in period so I had some seat time in stock form. Its got even more power everywhere and its much more responsive to the throttle in mode 2.

There's rumors and leaks about an Aprilia sumo based on the Tuareg platform. Sure its not a thumper, but neither was the SXV.

1699039593851.png

Would concur with and add to whats already been said, was not the biggest fan of the 690smc, if there was some low down grunt, it would be a totally different experience.

Very curious about an Aprilia parallel twin sumo 😲 😲 😲

The electronics suck on the 690. My kingdom for a gas gauge or an auto resetting trip meter (yes yes, back in your day....). Turning off the TC and ABS every time you start it is such a process. You get blown around like a sail on the highway. The pegs are too low and the seat is too high to knee down. You can't be gentle on the shift lever on upshifts or it'll fall out of gear. The engine is emissions choked to high hell.

However, after the mods, the smiles per mile is off the charts. Its hard to find the fun on Ontario roads, but the moment you come across medium speed twisty stuff, it just shines.

3 Track days, 1 gap trip, several thursday night rides, and a good knowledge of the 'fun' parts of the west end. The gap is the natural habitat for this bike though, where it felt best at home.

1699040223028.png

Compared to the SXV550, which I rode only once on the downhill at the gap, they are two different beasts. The 690 feels better when the suspension is soft and the power is available everywhere. It lets you just whack the throttle out of hairpins, point and shoot style. You ride it like you are running for you life. The SXV felt like a supersport. Stupid power at 11k, a very direct suspension feel, aggressive posture and just begs you to push limits. No surprise considering its intended use.

On the other hand, lots of builders (including Muzza) have realized you can pare the KTM 990 platform down to a similar weight to the SMCR, but with 1000cc V-twin grunt. That inspired me to buy my 990 and try rolling my own on a budget (Muzza kit is 8000 Euros):

1699070446021.png

Back
Top Bottom