New ducati single | GTAMotorcycle.com

New ducati single

Aren't they releasing a new 400cc single street bike and a new dirt bike?
Yup, they announced yesterday they're entering the MX arena and it'll have desmo valvetrain.

I had one of their original stabs at a MX bike, a '74 450cc desmo. What a POS! The thing shook like a paint shaker. I only rode it for a month, then sold it.
The 350cc springer scrambler that preceeded it was a pretty good bike.

Isn't their a 400cc version of the Scrambler already? That seemed to have a single exhaust port.

@LBV flagged it to me when I thought I was getting a steal on an 800cc version...but it was the 400.

EDIT: n/m...it's an L-twin engine.

Found some specs online: Screenshot_20231026_120034_Instagram.jpg

Sorry. Isn't it a 400cc MX bike and a 650cc streeter?
ngpyq9cx6kwb1.jpg

The new Ducati mono 659 CC. 83,4 HP, 10250 rpm 70% of max torque available over 3000rpm.desmo with a valve service every 30.000 km.

If Ducati wants to compete in MX, it would benefit them to bump up this engine to the 450cc max allowable in that competition class.

maxresdefault.jpg

Also, I see this as a foot in the door for the Dakar rally as well, as that also has a 450cc restriction. Engine power is only one factor, we'll see how they do with weight savings, in order to knock the class-leader KTM off the top step of the power-to-weight podium.

Along with the new Desert X Rally model, Ducati is making fast inroads into the dirt market. I'm liking what I see. Could be a few more red machines in the garage in the near future!

Those are great HP #'s considering the 803 L-twin makes about the same.

ngpyq9cx6kwb1.jpg

The new Ducati mono 659 CC. 83,4 HP, 10250 rpm 70% of max torque available over 3000rpm.desmo with a valve service every 30.000 km.
Should be a... Blast!

Those are great HP #'s considering the 803 L-twin makes about the same.

Liquid-cooling vs air-cooled.

I suspect they are readying the old 803cc engine for retirement due to ever-increasing Euro emissions regulations.

BMW had to make the same leap awhile back when the boxer engine went to water-cooled, in order to squeeze more power out of it.

Isn't the "70% of max torque available over 3000rpm" part a game changer? How does that compare... I don't keep up... but sounds impressive to me! The only other motor I know off that comes on the pipe that hard, that early is a Norton, and it's a freight train... and a twin
4 1/4" bore will do that for ya....

... always the cynic
New and improved 30,000k valve service interval
Isn't that kinda academic, when the 116mm slipper piston is only gonna last 12,000k. (long lasting singles have big, long skirt "soup can" like pistons. Short slipper pistons cant in the barrel, cuz they have no skirt. Singles EAT pistons, slipper pistons make it worse)
... and ya have to service the valves when you replace the piston....

... always the cynic
New and improved 30,000k valve service interval
Isn't that kinda academic, when the 116mm slipper piston is only gonna last 12,000k. (long lasting singles have big, long skirt "soup can" like pistons. Short slipper pistons cant in the barrel, cuz they have no skirt. Singles EAT pistons, slipper pistons make it worse)
... and ya have to service the valves when you replace the piston....
Most 450 singles call for a new piston every 50 to 100 hours of use.

Sent from the future

85 hp from a single is pretty impressive.

13:1 compression may be trouble. That sounds like 94 octane territory if you're lucky. Wouldn't be that surprised if it needs higher than that to make full power (timing pulled with 94 octane to try to preserve itself).

Anybody found a weight for this thing?

Well the 659 Monster is circa 400 lb - the single might be lighter and those are incredible HP numbers for a single.
Glad it's not kickstart...already have one broken leg. :eek:

85 hp from a single is pretty impressive.

13:1 compression may be trouble. That sounds like 94 octane territory if you're lucky. Wouldn't be that surprised if it needs higher than that to make full power (timing pulled with 94 octane to try to preserve itself).

Anybody found a weight for this thing?
I hope Ducati has done their homework, otherwise this thing will have a really short fuse.
On the flip side - spec racing series anyone ?

I hope Ducati has done their homework, otherwise this thing will have a really short fuse.
On the flip side - spec racing series anyone ?
It will be very interesting to see the final details. At first glance, it is a highly tuned, maintenance heavy race engine. Similar to a 450 dirtbike.

It will be very interesting to see the final details. At first glance, it is a highly tuned, maintenance heavy race engine. Similar to a 450 dirtbike.
77.5 hp at the output shaft (after transmission losses) - that's going to fly in the proper chassis.

Back
Top Bottom