Need a snowblower....recommendations? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a snowblower....recommendations?

The old honda had a workout this morning. 10" of snow overnight. No problems. Couldnt jog with it, there isnt enough hp for that but did two driveways (six car and eight car) and some paths in <30 minutes.

Hey all,
Just wanted to thank everyone for the recommendations and I'm still researching which to buy. We will be buying at the end of winter to look for deals, as we were able to find a service for about $800/season to deal with the driveway and walkways around the house. Wife was very happy that we went this route, even though she 'loves shoveling' a large driveway was a bit much.
Thanks again!

You'll never get her to use a snow blower now.

You'll never get her to use a snow blower now.
Well, that depends on the level of service. If they are just getting established, they will be awesome, once most plowing companies have been around a while, their service list is so long that it's almost not worth paying. My elderly inlaws end up shovelling their sloped driveway most of the time as their plow guy takes 24 to 48 hours after the snow stops to show up. I would have fired him long ago. As a capper, although the contract says duration is "2019-2020 season" he didn't bother coming when they got dumped on last week as he said the contracts don't start until December. I would have cancelled him right then for being a disrepectful ass.

Well, that depends on the level of service. If they are just getting established, they will be awesome, once most plowing companies have been around a while, their service list is so long that it's almost not worth paying. My elderly inlaws end up shovelling their sloped driveway most of the time as their plow guy takes 24 to 48 hours after the snow stops to show up. I would have fired him long ago. As a capper, although the contract says duration is "2019-2020 season" he didn't bother coming when they got dumped on last week as he said the contracts don't start until December. I would have cancelled him right then for being a disrepectful ass.
Maybe it will snow more next November. Even if they're awesome in showing up, it also depends on the timing. One year we had intermittent freezing rain alternating with snow, and if you didn't get out shoveling or a single stage thrower right away, you were left with almost an inch of ice after the plow finished.

Maybe it will snow more next November. Even if they're awesome in showing up, it also depends on the timing. One year we had intermittent freezing rain alternating with snow, and if you didn't get out shoveling or a single stage thrower right away, you were left with almost an inch of ice after the plow finished.
They had the same guy the year before. They wanted to give him another chance. If contracts were November to november they should have had service. I think the guy is probably servicing december to march but left that useful information out of the contract. I guess you could use him in small claims court, but that sure as hell wont get you at the top of the list.

These guys are doing the majority of the houses on the street, and when we had our first dumping last Monday, there were there within 4hours of the work. Of course then the City trucks came by and gave us a nice ice fortress at the end of the driveway.

These guys are doing the majority of the houses on the street, and when we had our first dumping last Monday, there were there within 4hours of the work. Of course then the City trucks came by and gave us a nice ice fortress at the end of the driveway.
Ours used to come back for the windrows, after the city was done.

That's not a driveway. It's a parking lot. My daughter isn't too far away (Gage Park) with a 80 foot driveway between two houses. A two stage is needed to hurl the white stuff far enough ahead so it can shifted to the front or back yard.

One also has to consider the weight of the snow. A 5HP 27" works in Ottawa because the snow is cold and fluffy but not in southern Ontario where it is often wet and sticky. Here a slightly narrower higher HP version tends to work better. I can get my 24" 7 HP through the shed door.

Could I fit a plow to to a mobility scooter?

Answering my own question...........

Well it fit, but it was very disappointing that they filmed it taking a blank pass. My suspicion is it doesn't have the traction to actually push snow.
That's exactly why they filmed the blank pass - no way that thing can push show. I keep a small 300cc 4x4 ATV in the city for plowing my driveway and sidewalk and even it struggles for traction with much more than a foot.

That's exactly why they filmed the blank pass - no way that thing can push show. I keep a small 300cc 4x4 ATV in the city for plowing my driveway and sidewalk and even it struggles for traction with much more than a foot.
I've actually considered getting a small ATV for next year for snow plowing. Which do you have? How do you like it? And what's price for these things?

I've actually considered getting a small ATV for next year for snow plowing. Which do you have? How do you like it? And what's price for these things?

Can't go wrong with older Hondas, that's for sure.

I also really like the Suzuki King Quad 300 (or Quadrunner 250's) which is what I have in the city. Since they are older models you can find one for around $1500-$2000 and they have COMPLETE locking diffs front and rear (manual lever, not electric so less to go wrong) for the most traction possible. I have a lot of fun on it after a snowstorm :)

Kabota
Love it!
with a front bucket and rear box scraper blade added, about the same price as a real nice compact car.
smaller one would be about the same price as a cheap compact car.

Does an ATV with a plow need to be plated and insured or is it considered agricultural?

I assume you mean for use on your driveway in the city? Not sure to be honest, mine's plated and insured but that's because I use it for other things as well. If I was only using it for my driveway I might not bother personally, but then again plates are a one time cost of like $30 for life, and insurance is dirt cheap for an older small ATV (I pay $90/yr) so it's probably worth it to be safe rather than sorry.

Does an ATV with a plow need to be plated and insured or is it considered agricultural?
The problem is half of most driveways are on the municipal right of way. You could probably legally use it only on the half closest to the house. I would just plate and insure it and then you have a toy that can be used year round.

The problem is half of most driveways are on the municipal right of way. You could probably legally use it only on the half closest to the house. I would just plate and insure it and then you have a toy that can be used year round.

I'm not into ATVs so wonder the legalities of using them on city streets and sidewalks. Would putting a plow on one make it the equivalent of a riding mower. Fuzzy lines exist in things other than e bikes.

Back
Top Bottom