Need a snowblower....recommendations? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a snowblower....recommendations?

The machines have been the same for 30 years . Most parts are interchangeable to a degree . If you get a older machine in good condition . The only part you may need is a new belt . I bet you can find them still for 30 year old machines . Most snow blowers these days the difference is the color and the engine .
Don't get me wrong, I like Honda power equipment, but I retired a 35 year old lawnmower because no carb kit has been available for decades and the (plastic) carb and two drive wheels were tired. Replacing those three parts would have been ~$300. I consider that beyond economical repair.

My 20 yr old mtd blower runs perfectly. I've replaced the belts,drive wheel, scraper blade and sliders once. Parts are cheap and easy to find.
My neighbour buys nothing but Honda. He is on his 2nd mower in 6 yr. The deck rusted thru on the first one. They are double the price of my 18yr old Toro. His Honda snowthrower is useless in any wet snow, and takes double the time to do the same driveway. But it looks really nice!

My 20 yr old mtd blower runs perfectly. I've replaced the belts,drive wheel, scraper blade and sliders once. Parts are cheap and easy to find.
My neighbour buys nothing but Honda. He is on his 2nd mower in 6 yr. The deck rusted thru on the first one. They are double the price of my 18yr old Toro. His Honda snowthrower is useless in any wet snow, and takes double the time to do the same driveway. But it looks really nice!
Yeah, not all honda is magic. You need to be picky. At the bottom of the lawnmower range, they have stuff that is priced well above what it should be (and there is no way I would buy a $500+ lawnmower with a steel deck for homeowner use). I have never seen small honda yard equipment (trimmers etc) in the wild. Not sure if that is because of price, performance or durability.

I could stall my 30+ year old single stage snowthrower last week by walking too quickly while taking a 20" cut of 6" slush from the plow. That is just a straight horsepower problem. It is only 5.5 hp. It was throwing the crap 30+ feet though.

It's not tiny but it is easy to operate, there are a multitude of attachments available including a plow blade or blower (the blade is awesome), it is expensive unless you find an old used one and will likely outlive you. Gravely walk behind.
Where are Gravelys sold? Can't seem to find a dealer or this way. What would one cost?

I thought so. Thanks. Dumb idea for a young couple just starting out.

The B&S blower on sale at CDN Tire is junk.The welds especially look like they were done in someones garage with a 120v stick.The Yardworks are the same.They have Husqvarna on sale 27" 254cc 2 stage for $1000.My daughter bought that one.Much better quality and construction.Honda isn't even a consideration.Just paying for the name.

Briggs and Stratton weld.
Husqvarna weld.
Daughters new blower.

Comparable Honda on sale for $3400 (reg $3600) Doesn't even have electric start.What a joke.
Honda Power Equipment HSS928CW 71 cm (28 in), Wheel Drive

Last edited:
I thought so. Thanks. Dumb idea for a young couple just starting out.
Actually it was a brilliant idea but you still don't even know what a Gravely is.
Dealers are all over the place, here is the link to the dealer locater should anyone else be interested.
Gravely Dealer Locator

I worked part time as a kid for a guy with a big property and a Gravely, had the tractor seat mounted on a dolly so you rode behind the walk behind lawn mower. It was like the swiss army knife of lawn equipment, did all kinds of stuff but it had a fan club.

I worked part time as a kid for a guy with a big property and a Gravely, had the tractor seat mounted on a dolly so you rode behind the walk behind lawn mower. It was like the swiss army knife of lawn equipment, did all kinds of stuff but it had a fan club.
No doubt it's a good machine. But even a used one would cost my daughter double what she wants to spend.

No doubt it's a good machine. But even a used one would cost my daughter double what she wants to spend.
Are stacked garages common in the hammer? The only two I personally know of are your daughters and one in stoney creek. I like the concept (keeps toys and/or a shop separate from your daily drivers).

Are stacked garages common in the hammer? The only two I personally know of are your daughters and one in stoney creek. I like the concept (keeps toys and/or a shop separate from your daily drivers).
Hers is the first one i have seen. They bought this house knowing they are going to have a ton of work. 3,000 sq ft on a huge lot. Her guy is really good with Reno's. The lower garage is going to be his office. He works from home most of the time, so it is getting done first.

Hey all,
Just wanted to thank everyone for the recommendations and I'm still researching which to buy. We will be buying at the end of winter to look for deals, as we were able to find a service for about $800/season to deal with the driveway and walkways around the house. Wife was very happy that we went this route, even though she 'loves shoveling' a large driveway was a bit much.
Thanks again!

The lower garage is going to be his office. He works from home most of the time, so it is getting done first.

a9c7Hp.gif

Back
Top Bottom