need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

another cool feature on G4
built in universal tv remote control and air condition and cable box etc....
it's pretty easy to use, pick your device point it at the tv and magic...
your phone is now a universal remote

$45 for 500mb is a good deal?? I don't think so. You can do much better. Tell 'em to sweeten the pot or take your business elsewhere.

via Tapatalk
For one of the big 3 I thought that was good.

Sent from the Purple Zone

For one of the big 3 I thought that was good.

What about Virgin, Fido, or Koodo? They're all owned by the so-called "big three", but cost less.

What about Virgin, Fido, or Koodo? They're all owned by the so-called "big three", but cost less.
This was a Fido plan that Rogers matched. That plan is now $50 with Fido.
But if someone can point me to a better deal...

This was a Fido plan that Rogers matched. That plan is now $50 with Fido.
But if someone can point me to a better deal...

Don't ask. Tell.

[video=youtube;gt3DlPDKx_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt3DlPDKx_g[/video]

I picked up the Asus Zenfone 3 a few months back and its been amazing, i also have a Samsung S7 for work which is comparable.
thing that drives me nuts is they have the back button on opposite sides so im always hitting the wrong button.
the zenfone 3 does have dual sim so i could run 2 lines out of 1 device but i would loose my memory card slot which kinda sucks and i dont carry the work phone all the time.

as for cell phone plans, just after christmas this year rogers had a loyalty plan for $50/ month that i switched to.
North america unlimited, Rome like home in the USA and 4 gig of data i cant remember if its $10 or $15 per extra gig buy up option if you txt in when you get the warning message. i use a lot of wifi so i havent run into a issue.

one requirement to get on this plan was to be off contract, so no hardware upgrade options. the Zenfone 3 cost me i think $400 and im saving $50 per month now... i think its more than worth it and i still have an amazing device.

@EaZ8 that sounds like a great plan, and I would have no problem giving up the free phone for the extra savings.
Is that a share everything plan?
And I'm assuming that you spoke to retentions?

@EaZ8 that sounds like a great plan, and I would have no problem giving up the free phone for the extra savings.
Is that a share everything plan?
And I'm assuming that you spoke to retentions?

i actually switched to that plan by their live chat at like 10 at night. im in a facebook group called savings guru and they posted saying the plan came up so i hit the online chat and asked for it, the rep said no prob because my contract was over, set it all up and that was it.. easiest and best interaction i have ever had with a cell phone company.

there are plenty good off contract phones out there now for $200-600 range so loosing the discounted or free device just isnt a big deal at all to me and no contract is key.
Asus just released 2 slimmed down versions of my phone for $200 and $279 at staples..
$429 the one i have
http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-Zenfone3-55-64-GB-Unlocked-Smartphone/product_SS5680895_1-CA_1_20001
$279, basically same phone just different processor.. zenfone 3 laser
http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-ZenFo...-S430-2G32GN-SL-/product_2446831_2-CA_1_20001
$200...less memory, slightly smaller screen, weaker processor and unfortunatelly less cell tower capabilities..ide avoid this model if you are with rogers, but its still a option.
http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-Zenfo...-MT67-2G16GN-SL-/product_2455173_2-CA_1_20001

Has anyone used/ using Zoomer wireless?
Looks like they are owned by Rogers and right now they have 400 min day (I never use that much), unlimited eve and w/e, unlimited text & 1gb data for $36 and it includes a cheap phone.
Doesn't look like they have "zones" either. Thinking of maybe setting the kid up on it.
I know some of the other deals mentioned are "better" but I just want to keep my overall costs down. Expenses go up, but my freaking wages stay the same ?

Edit: just called them (Zoomer) until March 31 a bonus of 1gb, so 2gb total for $36/month +txs with a free J3

Last edited:
Rogers just said they would give me a share everything 2gb plan for me and my son. $100 /month. 2 free LGG4 . Carry over the balance on my son's pay as you go (~$100) and the share everything qualifies for the discount through my company.
I don’t NEED too much more data. I am more concerned about reception / reliability and spending less money (what? I'm cheap)
I told them that if she could make it $95 / month I will do it. She's gonna call me back.

Thanks everyone for all the input. As always, very much appreciated.
I will let you know what we decide on.

Rogers just said they would give me a share everything 2gb plan for me and my son. $100 /month. 2 free LGG4 . Carry over the balance on my son's pay as you go (~$100) and the share everything qualifies for the discount through my company.
I don’t NEED too much more data. I am more concerned about reception / reliability and spending less money (what? I'm cheap)
I told them that if she could make it $95 / month I will do it. She's gonna call me back.

Thanks everyone for all the input. As always, very much appreciated.
I will let you know what we decide on.

Take the deal....those phones were/are $600-700.
Order yourself tempered glass covers and a decent case for $10 and you are good to go.
I have a clear cheap soft plastic case in mine. It allows you to see the leather cover back on the phone.
They send you 2 covers, 1 leather and the other some ceramic grey diamond pattern (looks good).

I use Nova Launcher for better interface and enhanced features.

would strongly recommend the android phone not locked to a carrier choices

be completely free of the apple cult, and the ability to change carriers whenever you want

service/pricing sucks? toss the sim, move on

would strongly recommend the android phone not locked to a carrier choices

be completely free of the apple cult, and the ability to change carriers whenever you want

service/pricing sucks? toss the sim, move on
But isn't just like $20 to unlock?
Or do you mean lock to a contract?
I've been with Rogers ~20 years. Honestly, as much as they piss me off, I'm not going anywhere. I am at home a lot with the kids (youngest is only 5), so I can put the phone on speaker when at home and waste a few hours negotiating for a deal while I make dinner/ lunches etc.
Again, my biggest thing is keeping my monthly budget in check. So knowing what I will be paying for 2 years is somewhat comforting to me. And as long as I don't get fired from work, I have access to WiFi, so the limited data doesn't affect me too much.

The whole thing about asking about the phones was that I didn't want to get stuck with another phone that had issues, like I personally found the S4 to have.

But don't think that you are off the hook, my coffee loving fellow gtamer -- you seem to be knowledgeable in these matters, so there will be more questions!

@Joe, I forgot to mention to you.
When you talk to Rogers again BEFORE they ship the phones, tell them both of your current phones are unlocked because you travel and you/wife also use son's phone.
Tell them you want the unlock code for the phones. They might try to charge you $50, say no and let's get this deal done.
Once they ship you phones call back to get unlock codes.
You will need a sim card from another provider e.g. Bell.
Just drop into Bell or ask someone if they have old sim card.
Bell/Virgin/Telus/Koodoo (has to be from NON ROGERS provider).

btw- when you do selfies now, just say cheese or LG or whatever word you program...it will trigger the camera to snap the photo :)

Take the deal
Gonna try to knock off $5/month just because I want to feel like I won. Although I may just pull the trigger.
Order yourself tempered glass covers and a decent case for $10 and you are good to go.

I will at minimum get them to give me the screen protectors and cases for free.
And holy crap the glass ones are 100x easier to install than the plastic
I use Nova Launcher for better interface and enhanced features.
Do you remember who you are talking to? I have no clue wtf you are talking about! ???

@-D- ok. Added to my notes. Iirc it is illegal for them not to give you the unlock codes as you are paying for the phone.

And the "cheese" feature you mentioned was a strong selling point.
My damn shaky hands eff up pics when pressing the button. This should solve that issue.

Gonna try to knock off $5/month just because I want to feel like I won. Although I may just pull the trigger.

I will at minimum get them to give me the screen protectors and cases for free.
And holy crap the glass ones are 100x easier to install than the plastic

Do you remember who you are talking to? I have no clue wtf you are talking about! ������

They wont give you the cases for free, they don't have that stuff.
go to Chinese stores or find cellphone place in your area.
You can order the stuff from ebay, screen protectors $1-2 and cases $2-$20.
I will try to remember to send you the cases I bought.
The cheapy clear plastic is working well.

Just tell them you travel and need phone unlocked.
If they don't give you the $5 discount then bring that up later.
They can only give you the code AFTER you get them as you have to provide them with the IMEI #'s.

It's not a big deal to unlock but it is nice to have.
If I were you, I would get the cases and protectors first before you start using the phones especially for your kid.
It is easy to drop and you will cry with a nice new phone smashed.
Drive to PAcific Mall and get what you need for $10-$15 each phone or order on Ebay and wait a while, lol

@Joe
check Youtube and see what it does
Nova Launcher

I also use a black wallpaper, helps battery last longer and easier to see screen info
Check playstore, it's free
black wallpaper or no wallpaper

It is very easy to drop these larger phones.

I've been happy with my Amazon.ca cases. Thinking of getting Amazon Prime for the quicker delivery. Or just give @PrivatePilot an EMT and ask him to buy it under his Prime account ??
Yeah let me know which ones please.

Back
Top Bottom