My first ridng season, couple questions. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My first ridng season, couple questions.

His first post asked "When is the best time to do my M1?" So when he asked for and received the quote from his insurance company did he lie and say he already had his M2 or did he say "Well, I don't actually have a license but but give me a quote for when I have my M2"?

Well I already had my M1 and let it expire. So I don't have to wait the 60 days to do my M2. An why are you so salty about this? Insurance companies will give you a " quote" for whatever scenario you want. I don't think you know how this works.

So you're saying you don't understand how someone could get a "quote" based on something they don't have yet? So all those guys that get quotes on bikes before they buy them are lying according to you? No you tell the insurance company what you might need coverage for and they give you a base line.

Come on, just think a little more before you post OK. It's not that hard.

You do have to wait the 60 days again to get your M2 when starting over again with an M1.

You do have to wait the 60 days again to get your M2 when starting over again with an M1.

That's how I'd interpret the following:

"[h=3]M1 licence[/h]By law, if you have an M1 licence, you must:

• maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
  • ride only during daylight hours (½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset)
  • wear an approved helmet
  • not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655
  • always drive alone - you may not carry passengers
You need to wait at least 60 days before you can take your first road test. Your M1 licence is valid for 90 days. If the licence expires, you will need to start over."

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence

But I'm sure the OP knows best.

That's how I'd interpret the following:

"M1 licence

By law, if you have an M1 licence, you must:

• maintain a zero blood alcohol level (no alcohol in your blood)
  • ride only during daylight hours (½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset)
  • wear an approved helmet
  • not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144 and 655
  • always drive alone - you may not carry passengers
You need to wait at least 60 days before you can take your first road test. Your M1 licence is valid for 90 days. If the licence expires, you will need to start over."

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-motorcycle-licence

But I'm sure the OP knows best.

I'm just using the information that was given to me by the MTO. I passed my M1 and asked what happens if i can't get a M2 test before fall and i was told "you would have to do the M1 test again but would not have to wait the 60 days, you could schedule the test right away". That's what they told me.

If i'm wrong the person working for the ministry is wrong.

Last edited:
If i'm wrong the person working for the ministry is wrong.

They're wrong.

A lot of MTO personnel seem hopelessly clueless, not even knowing the laws they're supposed to be enforcing. Just got into an argument with someone on a horse trailer Facebook group a few days ago who swore up and down (because "an MTO employee said it was fine!" that (long story short) carrying 5000# of dead load weight in the back of their half ton pickup truck was not only perfectly legal, but perfectly safe. Needless to say when I did the math for them they were actually over 2000# overloaded on their rear axle at nearing twice its rated capacity.

But the MTO (and less surprisingly, the salesperson thay sold them the truck) said it was just fine. Apparently 1-ton trucks are unnecessary, and dual rear wheels are purely decorative as well.

75hp actually :). I took it out for a spin a couple weeks ago on one of the nice days. It moves just fine ;).

Big brother is watching.

:glasses5::glasses4:

They're wrong.

A lot of MTO personnel seem hopelessly clueless, not even knowing the laws they're supposed to be enforcing. Just got into an argument with someone on a horse trailer Facebook group a few days ago who swore up and down (because "an MTO employee said it was fine!" that (long story short) carrying 5000# of dead load weight in the back of their half ton pickup truck was not only perfectly legal, but perfectly safe. Needless to say when I did the math for them they were actually over 2000# overloaded on their rear axle at nearing twice its rated capacity.

But the MTO (and less surprisingly, the salesperson thay sold them the truck) said it was just fine. Apparently 1-ton trucks are unnecessary, and dual rear wheels are purely decorative as well.

Oh ok, not the end of the world then, i'll just plan to do my test soon just to be safe.

Check with MTO not all drive test centers do bike road tests, Not sure what their first day for tests is. You won't find any road tests right now, Perhaps APril but Service Ontario can advise when they start up again

Oh ok, not the end of the world then, i'll just plan to do my test soon just to be safe.

Check with MTO not all drive test centers do bike road tests, Not sure what their first day for tests is. You won't find any road tests right now, Perhaps APril but Service Ontario can advise when they start up again

Yeah I'll figure it all out soon. Shouldn't be a problem.

They're wrong.

They're not wrong. It happened to me. I had to re-write my M1 and when I passed it I booked my M2 right away.

75hp actually :). I took it out for a spin a couple weeks ago on one of the nice days. It moves just fine ;).
lol ok fine... 75HP.
the ninja 650 is putting out a whopping 65hp.

im sure it will move, hell my 49cc pocket bike seemed like it moved back in the day...10 to 12 yrs ago.

They're not wrong. It happened to me. I had to re-write my M1 and when I passed it I booked my M2 right away.
True story. My wifes m1 expired because they couldn't accommodate her exit test in time. They made her re-write her m1 the morning of her m1 exit test.
Then she had to do her road test in the pouring rain, and her bike ran out of fuel in the middle of the test. Lol.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I was told the exact contrary - m1 lapses, square 1 again, no exceptions.

I guess that reinforces my earlier statement about many MTO employees basically not being able to even find their own *** with both hands, much less give the public cosistent and factual information.

Although fwiw I don't see these exemptions listed anywhere online.

Last edited:
When I did my training with MTOHP I think the instructor also mentioned something about having M1 previously and not having to wait for M2 for 60 days.
But I think he mentioned it had to be within 6 months or a year from having M1 lapse.
Of course I can't remember correctly the details but I would double check on the rules.

Btw, what's up with witch hunt if what the guys is saying it's true about his insurance quote, lol :)

Last edited:
Last summer was my first full season of riding and I agree with everyone saying get your m1 as soon as possible followed by the m1 exit course. I highly recommend it. I came from a dirt biking background and you'd be surprised how many bad habits you may have that may not necessarily be a big deal off road but do make a difference on road. Another benefit is that if you take the course you can go for your m license test 18 months after your m2. I found most insurance companies wouldn't even look at me with my m2 license on a harley sportster so I would imagine it would be even worse with just an m1. I ended up going with state farm and my rates did not change when my renewal came up (with a clean record).
With regards to your riding question, I don't believe that there is a specific "break through" everyone learns at a different pace and what really matters is how much seat time you put in. My brother and I went to parking lots to get to know our bikes before really getting out on the road and plan on doing so again in the spring to freshen up.
Best advice I can come up with is that not having enough confidence on a bike is just as bad having too much confidence. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with and its always better to ride slower but with proper technique than to try to go too fast too soon and end up hurting yourself. I'm sure others have watched it but check out the twist of the wrist video on youtube, it does a pretty good job as explaining proper turning techniques. In addition to the oil and filter, check the brake pads, obviously make sure your tires are in good shape, even if they still have good tread on them old tires are no good, and i've recently learned that brake fluid should be changed every two years or so if your brake fluid is dark its time to change it. it should be almost like a honey colour.
Good luck and be safe!

Back
Top Bottom