My first ridng season, couple questions. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My first ridng season, couple questions.

Cracking under a grand will be tough. The jump from 500 to 600 cc's is an insurance agents wet dream. I blame those fancy SS owners!

So what would be some good bikes that a bigger guy could start out on? I literally don't fit on 250's so its completely out of the question for me :/

I thought the SV650/Ninja 650R/FZ6R class of bikes were good options for bigger guys, everyone seems to think they are from what I have read anyways. I'm confused.

Last edited:
So what would be some good bikes that a bigger guy could start out on? I literally don't fit on 250's so its completely out of the question for me :/

Dual sports! I'm a big guy myself 6'2 and about 265. I like the cbr500's the gs500's and all that as well. I find I fit well on just about anything. Though me on the grom is comical!

Insurance on a decent dual is reasonable for us new riders. Comparatively that is.

Edit: with all this said that should be a great bike for you to start on, insurance will just be a bit high, I think.

Just call the agent in the morning and find out where you stand before second-guessing your choice of bike. Maybe you'll catch a break. (I doubt it but you can only ask...)

It doesn't matter if you think you got a good deal, if you can't afford the insurance, unless you're just flipping bikes.

How much are you going to try and get for it?

I'll second that the bike is likely fine given his dirt experience. Finding decently priced insurance would have been a lot easier on a 500, or even the 650 twins. Best insurance pricing I found on a CBR-650F, was with Johnson insurance. Should have an easier time though since that model has been around for a bit. I had a huge hassle with mine being classified like a CBR-600RR. I'd still expect around 2k a year for your first year, for minimum coverage. Expect it to drop by 25% for the next 2-3 years though. Basic insurance for me is 580 a year. 30M, clear abstract, 7 years riding.

Make no mistake though, that bike will move. It won't power wheelie accidentally, but you can be in ticket territory, before you've even crossed the intersection, or even left first gear.

Ride safe!

Last edited:
I'll second that the bike is likely fine given his dirt experience. !

Which...unfortunately, means nothing to any insurance company in the province. He's still lumped in with the "I have never sat on a motorcycle before and just bought it yesterday" crowd. Yes, he's FAR safer from a reality standpoint, no question...but again, the insurance companies will give him zero credit for presumably uninsured offroad dirtbiking experience.

I'm hoping for something under a grand/yr. I think that's fair.

I think you'd be unlikely to see under $1K/year with a 250. Sorry, but I agree with what others are hinting at - don't expect it.

I'm over 6' tall, built like a brick shithouse, and well north of 200#...and rode my wifes GZ250 (learner bike) home across Toronto when I bought it for her. I "fit", and it hauled my bulky *** respectfully across the city at highway speeds. Not ideal, I sure as heck like my VTX1300 better...but again, if the cost of insurance is the difference between riding or not, I (respectfully) suggest that's a poor excuse. ;)

Just FYI, the guy I bought the 250 off of was in your age range and with his M2, first year riding, told me he was paying around $1200 for his insurance. He used it for year-1 experience to make a bigger bike (which he upgraded to) more affordable.

Which...unfortunately, means nothing to any insurance company in the province. He's still lumped in with the "I have never sat on a motorcycle before and just bought it yesterday" crowd. Yes, he's FAR safer from a reality standpoint, no question...but again, the insurance companies will give him zero credit for presumably uninsured offroad dirtbiking experience.

I think you'd be unlikely to see under $1K/year with a 250. Sorry, but I agree with what others are hinting at - don't expect it.

I'm over 6' tall, built like a brick shithouse, and well north of 200#...and rode my wifes GZ250 (learner bike) home across Toronto when I bought it for her. I "fit", and it hauled my bulky *** respectfully across the city at highway speeds. Not ideal, I sure as heck like my VTX1300 better...but again, if the cost of insurance is the difference between riding or not, I (respectfully) suggest that's a poor excuse. ;)

Just FYI, the guy I bought the 250 off of was in your age range and with his M2, first year riding, told me he was paying around $1200 for his insurance. He used it for year-1 experience to make a bigger bike (which he upgraded to) more affordable.

I would love to ride something smaller for a year and then switch when it became more affordable. I guess the problem is that I already have a bike and can't afford to own two at once yet. Unless were talking a scooter or something I might be able to pull that off.

Guess I'm in a tough spot. I did a quote from TD online just now and it came out to $1066 for the year which isn't terrible but I'm positive I can get a better rate elsewhere.

But I fully agree that riding anything is better then riding nothing.

I would love to ride something smaller for a year and then switch when it became more affordable. I guess the problem is that I already have a bike and can't afford to own two at once yet. Unless were talking a scooter or something I might be able to pull that off.

Guess I'm in a tough spot. I did a quote from TD online just now and it came out to $1066 for the year which isn't terrible but I'm positive I can get a better rate elsewhere.

But I fully agree that riding anything is better then riding nothing.

That's amazing! When I got quoted on a 2012 fz6r they posted me at 2600 and I thought that was decent. Haha. Congrats!

Be highly suspicious of on-line quotes. Just sayin'.

Be highly suspicious of on-line quotes. Just sayin'.

This.

But if that happens to turn out to be accurate, well....run with it. That's pretty damned good. Do followup here with your experience moving forward in that regard, insurance has been a hot topic of discussion around here and elsewhere recently.

Online quotes are like weather forecasts.

Trust me I'm not putting all of my faith into an online quote. I don't even have a motorcycle licence right now so I had to make up a fake date for when i recieved my M2 (said sept '15). The most important thing is that the bike is not marked up like a supersport bike even tho its 600cc. I did a quote on a R6 for fun with the same info and it came out to over $6000/yr so that's nice to know.

I have generally advised people when buying their first bike and learning how to ride, to go small.
Under 500 cc.
A smaller and lighter bike is easier to control, easier to learn on and easier to pass your M2 test.
Having said that there will no doubt be many who disagree.
Smaller bikes are also cheaper to insure.
This is all second guessing of course as you have already made your purchase.

I have generally advised people when buying their first bike and learning how to ride, to go small.
Under 500 cc.
A smaller and lighter bike is easier to control, easier to learn on and easier to pass your M2 test.
Having said that there will no doubt be many who disagree.
Smaller bikes are also cheaper to insure.
This is all second guessing of course as you have already made your purchase.

An you may very well be right about that. I would agree that new riders should definitely start on smaller bikes.

Anyone have an old 250 they want to let me borrow then? Lol :)

The biggest learning curve will probably be not riding like you drive.

Back
Top Bottom