Motorcycle Skills: What are your 2022 goals? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Skills: What are your 2022 goals?

N3WMAN and I are teaching Racer5 next season, so feel free to say hi of we're not your instructors.
Any idea how long the pre-season pricing lasts for?

I did email info@racer5 last night to find out how to get myself and my buddies in the same group and am just waiting to hear back before paying up. I figure it must be a simple as calling and letting them know or putting a message in the comments field when paying up.

I read elsewhere that Parkhill is a good place to stay overnight - I'm thinking about doing that so I don't have to commute 2hrs each way and don't want to do the tent thing. If anyone knows a decent, local motel for a couple nights, please chime in.

I also want to try out the Toni Sharpless school in 2022 as well.

I did email info@racer5 last night to find out how to get myself and my buddies in the same group and am just waiting to hear back before paying up. I figure it must be a simple as calling and letting them know or putting a message in the comments field when paying up.

I read elsewhere that Parkhill is a good place to stay overnight - I'm thinking about doing that so I don't have to commute 2hrs each way and don't want to do the tent thing. If anyone knows a decent, local motel for a couple nights, please chime in.

Not sure how long the pricing is good for or the groups but I know they have kept buddies together so it is best to talk to them.

Also smart move on not commuting, you'll be wiped after a day of riding. We used to just camp at the track, now we have a permanent trailer on site to sleep in so I have no input on hotels. Maybe join the SOAR group on FB and ask there, someone may even rent you an rv for the weekend instead.

Last edited:
Not sure how long the pricing is good for or the groups but I know they have kept buddies together so it is best to talk to them.

Also smart move on not commuting, you'll be wiped after a day of riding. We used to just camp at the track, now we have a permanent trailer on site to sleep in so I have no input on or hotels. Maybe join the SOAR group on FB and ask there, someone may even rent you an rv for the weekend instead.
Thanks - that's perfect.

Thread 'The Beginner's Guide to Ontario Track Days' The Beginner's Guide to Ontario Track Days
You might want to try something like a Racer5 weekend. Their bikes, instruction, and competition is included. I have a couple of friends that are very good on the street, both ride l+ STs.

They rode cbr125 track bikes, both said it took 2 days to get fast, and they both said there was still lot of room to improve lap times.

Maybe others who have done race school can chime in.

Not skillz per say, but... 'Gonna try my hand at moto camping...
Try to save a few $ by minimizing hotel statys here to BC and back...
I really like it. Doing that solo you meet some pretty interesting people along the way.

Bought my whole camping set-up for around $500 back in 2010 and saved that back in my first long trip. Haven't had to change any of my gear yet. It's great when you do the motel thing once in a while to get a comfy bed and shower, but it's pretty nice sleeping outdoors when you are not on a super tight schedule.

I love solo moto camping. You dont need much for gear. My tent, sleeping bag and mess kit fills one case on my bike. Clothes in the other.

I love solo moto camping. You dont need much for gear. My tent, sleeping bag and mess kit fills one case on my bike. Clothes in the other.

I wont be needed a mess kit... lol.
No plans to cook/prep meals.
I really just want to reduce the $ spent on hotels...
All the campgrounds I've bookmarked are <40$/night and they all offer showers etc.

All the campgrounds I've bookmarked are <40$/night and they all offer showers etc.
You can moto camp for $0 to $50 per night in Ontario, $40 is a safe number for full service sites.

It's either carrying a small stove and coffee. Useful for drying out a tent and nothing us better tha a camp coffee at dawn.

I've spent lots of $0 nights on crown sites beside rivers and lakes. Used to be easy finds, last summer every marked spot I checked was taken.

When I did the intro course the groups were organized loosely on rider experience, but I'm sure they'd be reasonably flexible if you wanted to buddy up. A mix of skill levels within a group isn't a safety issue or anything like that, since you're spending most of the weekend at a controlled pace in your group with your instructor.

As for accommodations, keep in mind that Grand Bend is a summer beach town, and it books up fast since there aren't a lot of motels in the area to begin with. There are quite a few AirBnB choices though. We've stayed at a couple of different AirBnBs in Port Franks. Edit: I think we did stay in Parkhill once as well. The motel there is really an AirBnB, as I recall.

It's easy to grab beer and something you can cook on a stick just before you find a spot. Buddies and I do a lot of vagrant camping. You should be good thru Manitoba and then it's gets harder in the praries with fewer forests and hills to hide in.

gets harder in the praries with fewer forests and hills to hide in.

I'm not hauling 650lb FJR Into the woods Lol.

My googling indicates lots of private campgrounds all along my route(s).
Now just gotta hope the plague settles down so we can all pursue our chosen recreational plans

I'm not hauling 650lb FJR Into the woods Lol.

Now just gotta hope the plague settles down sbdcwe can all pursue our chosen recreational plans
Just find some gravel roads by the woods. Or sure private campgrounds work too.

Take note that RV'ing & camping in general has seen an explosion in popularity in the last few years due to Covid. There wasn't a lot else to do, so people dove in.

What I'm saying it....campgrounds can fill up fast. If you don't have reservations, made early, you might not get into a lot of places.

I'd be prepared to camp whereever, whenever, if this is your overall plan. I've motocamped camped behind a maintenance shed in a public park in a pinch, and in a small section of crown land adjascent to the St. Lawrence Seaway in Montreal, and many places in between. Sometimes arriving after dark and leaving not long after sunrise all while being stealthy opens up a lot of options. Just don't attract attention to yourself. If I'm being stealthy I'll just slide in after dark, throw the tent up quick, toss my stuff in, and crash. No lights, no noise, nothing.

Download the iOverlander app, it is very handy for this sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom