Motorcycle Skills: What are your 2022 goals? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Skills: What are your 2022 goals?

Lightcycle

Rounder of bolts, Dropper of tools
Site Supporter
So much talk about motorcycle brands and models on here. Who here actively works on skills instead of just going out for a rip?

This last season, I was working on slow speed wheelies over obstacles and elephant turns. Next year I want to try learning pivot turns:

What are your skills goals for 2022? Not just a generic "Go for more rides", but are you trying to get a knee down? Break into the 2:20s at Calabogie?

Post up your goals and let's revisit this thread on Dec 2022. With pictures and videos, of course! :D

I will probably have lots of pictures of broken motorcycle parts.

Drag an elbow without having shoulder and helmet follow suit would be fantastic.

haha, that was actually one of my goals a while back as well.

And then a high side on Turn 5 at Calabogie convinced me that that goal was unachievable for me, as my "ambitions outweighed my talent".

I did manage an elbow down, but skipped the shoulder and helmet and went straight to landing flat on my back. And *THEN* the shoulder and helmet, followed by the other elbow and knee...

The most important lesson I learned that day is that if you're going to try to level up on a corner, work on your weakest corner, not your strongest. As there may not be that much more room left for improvement.

I want to break down up and down shifting, clutch control, steering, push steering, braking and accelerating into their component parts better.

When you're working on your dirt skills, is it on the 1250 or a smaller bike?

I want to get more proficient on off road riding. Will have even less time to ride moving forward, so I really would prefer to get the bike off road and just trailer it there for at least a few hours.

I'm worried about the Simcoe County Forests as there's a LOT of sand near Wasaga...but there's other trail networks I can join. Wasn't going to renew my membership...but I will.

This video really helped me with my sand riding. I actually look forward to deep sand, and do regular trips down to the quarry to practice.

Thanks! I got buried in sand on my first ever outing at Simcoe County and shied away from it from then on.

Then took another trail and got turned around by ATVs that said it’s muddy as **** and I won’t make it through on my 80/20 tires. Strike two.

Never entered the forest again.

This video really helped me with my sand riding. I actually look forward to deep sand, and do regular trips down to the quarry to practice.

Yup been watching the videos and repeating them in my head.
But it’s hard not to slow down, grip the bars and sit as soon as I get scared 😳
I’ve gotten much better but still need practice.

I really want to ride on dirt and gravel, it was a ton of fun up in Sudbury

Z900 was super sketchy

Edit: speed isn’t doing it for me anymore 😝

Yup been watching the videos and repeating them in my head.
But it’s hard not to slow down, grip the bars and sit as soon as I get scared 😳
I’ve gotten much better but still need practice.

Yeah, that's the thing. Every survival instinct works against you when riding sand. You gotta keep the speed up and stand on the pegs, relax your grip on the bars. Also, forget feathering the clutch, just on and off with the throttle.

I make all sorts of plan I'll do this, or do that, but life keeps getting in the way 🤷‍♂️

Id like to get a track bike, and do some track days, also maybe a small supermoto to do stunting(stoppies, skids, wheelies, backing it in...etc etc etc )

I make all sorts of plan I'll do this, or do that, but life keeps getting in the way 🤷‍♂️

Id like to get a track bike, and do some track days, also maybe a small supermoto to do stunting

Start small. Take a course like Fast Riding School or Trail Tours. If you book it, then you're committed and you'll have to make time for it since your money is already down. Every journey starts with a phone in one hand and a credit card in the other...

Also, find someone else who also wants to do drills instead of ride. My buddy was equally motivated as me to work on slow wheelies this summer, so having someone else to egg me on and vice versa made it easier to stay on task instead of just take off and rip around the forest.

And also... you get lots of pictures and videos of your fails.

I recently picked up a dirtbike as some of you know. I grew up on them but it’s been a long time since I’ve owned and ridden one regularly. I feel like a lot of my survival skills are somewhat still there but I’d like to get back into wheelies and smaller jumps. Not for the show aspect but more the comfort and control level on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Develop better survival skills when riding in Peel Region, in particular constantly check my mirrors at every stoplight, keep it in gear with the clutch pulled just in case I need to do a quick launch.

So much talk about motorcycle brands and models on here. Who here actively works on skills instead of just going out for a rip?

This last season, I was working on slow speed wheelies over obstacles and elephant turns. Next year I want to try learning pivot turns:

What are your skills goals for 2022? Not just a generic "Go for more rides", but are you trying to get a knee down? Break into the 2:20s at Calabogie?

Post up your goals and let's revisit this thread on Dec 2022. With pictures and videos, of course! :D

I will probably have lots of pictures of broken motorcycle parts.
Great thread!

I'd like to finally get out to the track and do a course on small bike. Do one day and then go back a month or two later and do another day. Just not sure which one yet.

Last year I went back up to Clinton's and did a day in the dirt with someone far more skilled than I'll ever be and I learned a fair bit. I'd like to check out Trail Tours this year and see what that's like too.

Back
Top Bottom