Motorcycle gloves vs car racing gloves | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle gloves vs car racing gloves

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Anyone into racing cars know the difference?

I'm building a sim racing setup. I know if I don't wear gloves w/ the bigger motors I'm gonna chafe my skin lol

Would be asking this on a sim forum, but 99% of sim racing users have no experience with motorcycles or big cars (just small karts.)

I was going to say car racing gloves are primarily fire resistant, motorcycle gloves are for sliding (and a bit of impact protection). Honestly, if you just want something to protect your skin, mechanics gloves are hard to beat (or something similar like oakley gloves).

Instead of spending more time indoors, take up a hobby that toughens up your hands. :)

Motorcycle gloves are faster ;)

Go for a product placement, see if Foxpaws or somebody like that will back you.

Sim racing and gloves?

Beyond keeping hands warm....
  • Gloves in real car racing are for fire protection and for grip if/when the hands get sweaty. Chaffing not so much, maybe super long races even then...
  • Motorcycle gloves are for impact/abrasion protection and again grip is the hands get sweaty.
I think we can assume cold is not an issue.... So unless your hands are getting really sweaty, you have a risk of hand impact or fire in a crash sim racing you don't need gloves for the sake of gloves, fashion or immersive experience maybe. If sweaty hands are your problem, cycling gloves would be my suggestion.

Kangaroo skin is best but it really stinks when you sweat it up, don't leave them in your helmet.

... maybe you could sim up some smells :geek: Smellatron (might want to see if that is already patented first)

Reactions: J_F
If the question is wanting something completely unnecessary and bulky on your hands to reduce your tactile feel for the controls etc., why not hockey gloves? I would rock the hockey gloves!

As Trials pointed out, don't forget the smells to make it more realistic. BO at a min, I would also add fuel and burnt oil smells.

What about sim motorcycle vs sim car racing helmets?

I am watching the boomer thread for the hate post that the boomers bought all the real race cars so it is all their fault he has to sim race.... :)

Do all the sim racing guys also get their hands murdered from the motor? What do they do? Not sure why you are asking here instead of there.

They use gloves. Ranges from actual car racing gloves to $20 mechanic gloves. But I'm also a little skeptical because like I said, 99% of them have had no experience on a car, on a track. The motor I'm planning to get puts out 20nm of torque.

But yeah, seeing most of the replies, I'll switch forums.

They use gloves. But I'm also a little skeptical because like I said, 99% of them have had no experience on a car, on a track. The motor I'm planning to get puts out 20nm of torque.

But yeah, seeing most of the replies, I'll switch forums.
20nm of torque at the wheel hub? That's 15 lbs or less in each hand (depending on wheel size).

Nothin to see here but dinosaurs.

did you ever notice that when they sell 2 pair of those cheap gloves on sale, one pair is always defective :|

20nm of torque at the wheel hub? That's 15 lbs or less in each hand (depending on wheel size).

I might just be over-analyzing and I've had no real hands on experience with equipment outside of the G29. The G29's motor is too weak to actually hurt anyone (whereas the motors I'm looking on have kill switch.)

I just figured everyone I've seen on YouTube, and Twitch for sim racing uses gloves. The reasons are apparently:
  1. Chafing
  2. Keeping the material on the wheels from degrading (they're expensive. Entry lvl wheel is around $300 USD)
  3. Sweat/grip? (from this thread.)
Seems like #3 and #2 are the only reasons. #1 might be ******** lol

I might just be over-analyzing and I've had no real hands on experience with equipment outside of the G29. The G29's motor is too weak to actually hurt anyone (whereas the motors I'm looking on have kill switch.)

I just figured everyone I've seen on YouTube, and Twitch for sim racing uses gloves. The reasons are apparently:
  1. Chafing
  2. Keeping the material on the wheels from degrading (they're expensive. Entry lvl wheel is around $300 USD)
  3. Sweat/grip? (from this thread.)
Seems like #3 and #2 are the only reasons. #1 might be ******** lol
Isn't reason 1 because they are sim racing and posting videos on the interwebs so they want to look official?

Isn't reason 1 because they are sim racing and posting videos on the interwebs so they want to look official?

Kinda, some of them actually make a decent living from it (YouTube views.) Some are actually the top players from iRacing. Some iRacing players do actually race irl, and some of the players are actually pro (I know a bunch of ppl bumped into Lando Norris on iRacing, he's an F1 driver.)

There's also some genuinely helpful guys with low quality videos who clearly have a full time job outside of this **** but do it for fun. They also have gloves on lol

It's one of those "not sure if necessary...or a 'join the club'" thing.

.................I just googled Lando Norris playing iRacing, he's not wearing gloves. **** this lol

Back
Top Bottom