More bad news for H-D | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

More bad news for H-D

Don’t lose sleep over a quarterly loss for HD, they are survivors. Haters have dreamed of their demise for about 100 years, not likely to happen any time soon.

Levatich timed that exit right, eh?
wonder if he exercised all his option before the pandemic?

the new guy from Puma is ******
he'll be gone by the end of the year

just wait until Covid makes its way through the Sturgis rally in August. Then they are really in trouble.

Glad I went last year. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near there this year.

I am guessing you also weigh more than 90 pounds and don't have extreme difficulty picking up a CBR125.
Yeah I'm little more then double that, CB125 would be lighter then my HD :ROFLMAO: . I know what you are getting at, and it is a very polarized topic. I see some pretty petite women riding around on their HD's. No idea if it is or was their first bike though.

I see some pretty petite women riding around on their HD's. No idea if it is or was their first bike though.

Highly unlikely. My wife would have dropped my Vulcan within 30 feet when she started riding. I'm pretty confident 4 years later she'd be able to ride it fine.

Last edited:
I know some women who have started out on Sportsters.

Sure they are fairly heavy at almost 600 lbs, but the low 25" seat height and being able to flat-foot (with knees bent also!) makes them more manageable and confidence-inspiring than being on tippy-toes on a 400 lb sport/standard bike with a 31" seat height.

I know some women who have started out on Sportsters.

883cc vs 1868cc.... huge difference... sadly, many cruiser riders don't think this is anything but a necessary upgrade, 'cause anything under 1500cc's is useless.

883cc vs 1868cc.... huge difference... sadly, many cruiser riders don't think this is anything but a necessary upgrade, 'cause anything under 1500cc's is useless.

883, of course.

Unless the husband/boyfriend is really buying "her" bike as his second motorcycle. Then they push to get the bigger engine, regardless of if their wife/girlfriend can really handle the power or not.

Seen that a lot as well. Wife ends up never riding because she's afraid of the throttle, and the husband gets a second in-town bike (and not the "girly-man 883") in addition to his bagger.

Win-Win as far as he's concerned.

Cruisers are very easy to ride, even for beginners. I know plenty or riders, some small women, who started off with Honda Shadows and did just fine. A full size HD is slightly more weighty, but they don’t come on hard like a sport bike, and they are incredibly maneuverable at legal speeds. While I’d never recommend a 30k bike to learn on, the chances af dumping a Fatty are probably the same as a Shadow or any mid weight cruiser for a beginner. Just more expensive.

Cruisers are very easy to drive, even for beginners, about as easy as driving a lawn tractor.
... that you have to balance.

Cruisers are very easy to drive, even for beginners, about as easy as driving a lawn tractor.
... that you have to balance.
Low Center oh gravity and high gyroscopic spinning mass = easy balance. Low hp and high torque = forgiving stall and gear selection and smooth power delivery (no surprise wheelies.) High fork rake = easy steering, easier low speed handling, better steering correction in turns.

As long as you stay inside the speed limits, and don’t try riding like a pro a big cruiser is quite manageable for a beginner.

I was originally gonna go the cruiser route(a vstar 650 or a shadow) but dumb insurance companies cant distinguish between a vulcan 800 and the fz09 850cc triple and insurance priced me out of the cruiser market

Cruisers are very easy to ride, even for beginners. I know plenty or riders, some small women, who started off with Honda Shadows and did just fine.
Shadow: 745cc: 43 HP, 44 ft/lbs torque. 553 lbs wet.
Fatboy: 1868cc, 100 HP, 118 ft/lbs torque, 675 pounds wet.

If you can tell me the Fatboy is a good choice as a first bike, with all sincerity, you owe me $1868.

Using the same logic hp/torque, may as well throw a new rider on an 2020 Yamaha R1, Ducati V4 Panigale R or a Suzuki GSX-r1000....
Why bother with a 600cc sport bike that barely makes 110hp and can go 270km/h? That's a stupid decision when you can get a litre bike that makes 210+hp, double the torque and goes 300+ km/h for a somewhat marginal increase in price at that point.

After all, more power and more torque makes for an easier to ride motorcycle.

Last edited:
Low Center oh gravity ...
With a V-twin engine and a big steel fuel tank sitting high up on top of the steel frame even when it does not need gravity feed :LOL: sure.

I was originally gonna go the cruiser route(a vstar 650 or a shadow) but dumb insurance companies cant distinguish between a vulcan 800 and the fz09 850cc triple and insurance priced me out of the cruiser market

You need to try other insurance companies that don't go by CC's alone and look at the class of bike instead. Desjardin or Dalton Timmis (now NFP) are good starting points.

I started on a big cubic inch chopper and with under a year of riding moved on to a HD road glide. The HD was very manageable to learn on. Had an older R6 In the garage In that same time, It was light but very awkward feeling.
I moved on to my current 1190 adventure and dropped it twice in the first month.
Slow speed, sand and seat height all factors.
I spent a decent amount of time on a new MT09 last year That’s a good learner bike. imo

As for the demise of HD people have been calling it for years. I think they have a while yet. But I do think they will need to change the way they do things.
the majority of the next generation is going to want Motorcycles as cheap transportation. Small, electric, and cheap.
If they want to maintain their luxury branding then they need to downsize drastically.

Back
Top Bottom